HOW MANY GUITARS?!

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
I've currently been listening to Impending Doom's new album, and trying to emulate their tone.

Something I've noticed over a few years recording now:

-Metal bands always sound like they have 4 rhythm guitars playing at once. However, it seems like they'd only do two, because when they do those pauses in between parts in some songs, and only one guitar is playing lets say on the left side, there is obviously only one guitar playing.

I've always played extremely tight on my rhythm tracks, but no matter what, I can't get the overall mix as full as most metal songs. I don't think it's my tone, because I've spent countless hours and days emulating a specific tone, and I've done it very well.. I just cant get it to sound like there are FOUR guitars VS. two.. My guitars always sound a bit distant and weak I guess.

I typically use a Line 6 POD x3 to record with. Lately I've been playing around with Peavey Revalver MKIII.

I guess my question is this:

- Do most metal bands use 4 rhythm tracks? If not, how do they get it to sound so FULL and in your face?

Also, let me add:

Impendent Dooms new album is one of the best mixed metal albums I've heard!!

Yep I agree, a bass guitar will add tons of fullness if you aren't already achieving a great bass tone. Also I'd recommend putting up a clip of something you're recording, that way we can better assist you in getting the sound you want.

your drums are lacking mids and warmth massively, overpolished, that with the lack of bass can really make the whole mix and the guitars sound really small, though I do thing that the guitars could benefit from some tape saturation, as this is a prime example of guitars that really need it.

I've always played extremely tight on my rhythm tracks, but no matter what, I can't get the overall mix as full as most metal songs. I don't think it's my tone, because I've spent countless hours and days emulating a specific tone, and I've done it very well.

If you can make a massive guitar tone that sounds awesome alone, it doesn't mean it sound good when applied multiple times and/or with the rest of the band. It's usually too much gain and bass, and sometimes treble too. For example I have dual tracked rhythm guitars in the verse, quadtracked after the chorus in this clip: http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/ahjteam_accell-02.mp3

Do most metal bands use 4 rhythm tracks? If not, how do they get it to sound so FULL and in your face?

Bass guitar plays a massive role in that one, it's usually a lot louder than you think

The overall mix is the most important thing, make no mistake.
Never rely on quad tracking to get a big tone. It can make it sound bigger, but if you can't get your double tracked tone to sound big, quad tracking really isn't going to help.

I think its a damn good tone. The bass sounds kinda overgained (or the wrong gain, its got that sludgy underwater sound) and lacks lowend. The guitars need some more lowmids. Fix those and you'll get the fullness you're after.

Btw, I LOVE that snare. What is it? Kick is damn nice too, hell all the drums are really really good.

For example I have dual tracked rhythm guitars in the verse, quadtracked after the chorus in this clip: http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/ahjteam_accell-02.mp3

Not trying to be rude dude, but do you not notice that your left and right guitars are insanely different? Like the left one is really thin and the right one really full. I've noticed this on a few of your clips :S I can understand small differences but this is really massive.

Actually, I'm pretty sure in thrash metal it's more common to double track. At least, I know Sneap prefers that for thrash.
The more groove oriented stuff, like Nevermore, can certainly benefit from quad tracking.

Btw, I LOVE that snare. What is it? Kick is damn nice too, hell all the drums are really really good.

This drumkit from hell. I know that sound anywhere. He did a great job processing it though.

I actually like the bass. It's unique sounding.

You should take the overheads down a bit on this though. Maybe lose a little high end.

Are you kidding Morgan? I could hear from a mile away that this is DFH :D Think of all the people who have used this and posted clips right here on the forum man! I hate DFH, but I can't stop loving Devin's Ziltoid album, which uses DFH... ironically :p

I always thought it was that each side should sound the same/similar, but on each side you have 2 tracks of totally different amps:confused:

Ah the "Recording Metal Rulebook" says that's how it should be done, one should not stray from what The Rulebook says, that is bad omen! :lol:

Listen to any decent pre 2000 metal/hardcore records and you wouldn't believe, but those sound great too and some had (by today's rather sterile metal standards) sinister guitar sound/pannings. Take Entombed's first two records - dreaded chainsaw left/right, muffled shitty guitar center... or another example I love - take Raid's last EP - MASSIVE guitar left, absolutely SHITTY guitar right, no quadtakes, yet the record sounds great. Surely they're nowhere close that Beneath The Massacre or whatever sound Kids These Days are after. But see, not everyone is after that sound in the first place. :loco:

Anyway, I though ahj's clip was pretty refreshing for this forum. :headbang::headbang:

Ah the "Recording Metal Rulebook" says that's how it should be done, one should not stray from what The Rulebook says, that is bad omen! :lol:

Listen to any decent pre 2000 metal/hardcore records and you wouldn't believe, but those sound great too and some had (by today's rather sterile metal standards) sinister guitar sound/pannings. Take Entombed's first two records - dreaded chainsaw left/right, muffled shitty guitar center... or another example I love - take Raid's last EP - MASSIVE guitar left, absolutely SHITTY guitar right, no quadtakes, yet the record sounds great. Surely they're nowhere close that Beneath The Massacre or whatever sound Kids These Days are after. But see, not everyone is after that sound in the first place. :loco:

Anyway, I though ahj's clip was pretty refreshing for this forum. :headbang::headbang:

Maybe a little unnecessary with the Beneath The Massacre sentence,
But I guess you got your point across.
haha
Which I agree with, by the way.
I just don't agree with the "Kids These Days are after" phrase, as I probably fall into that "category."