How many of you guys do this to save CPU?

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Maybe I'm late to the game, but I've found a way that personally saves a TON of CPU.

Lately, I've been selecting tones/samples that I like the overall sound of and then simply printing/rendering/buring it to a new track..

In the past I would have kontakt open with let's say steven slate running through it. All of my multichannels would be playing off of that midi track. But instead of leaving SSD open, simply print each multichannel and get rid of Kontakt.. I've been doing it with everything; drums, amps, vocals (Find the right compressor--PRINT)..

How many of you guys use this method and how often to you do it?

Maybe I'm late to the game, but I've found a way that personally saves a TON of CPU.

Lately, I've been selecting tones/samples that I like the overall sound of and then simply printing/rendering/buring it to a new track..

In the past I would have kontakt open with let's say steven slate running through it. All of my multichannels would be playing off of that midi track. But instead of leaving SSD open, simply print each multichannel and get rid of Kontakt.. I've been doing it with everything; drums, amps, vocals (Find the right compressor--PRINT)..

Not sure the DAW you use, but does it not have a Freeze feature? I'd be lost if I could not just Freeze synth tracks or tracks with heavy use of plugins.

Nah, but it sounds like a good method, I usually just increase the latency after im done recording.

Yeah , with Slate, I usually have to print the drums eventually , or once I start adding plugins like crazy to all the tracks , the whole session will crash. It's tough because I keep wanting to tweak the sound , but as I think Ermz said once , sometimes it's a good thing to just commit to a sound and move on to the next thing

the problem is, when you realize that you want to change something,
then you have to print everything again...and again...and again! :D

Hah yeah, that is the only problem, but I'd rather take 5 mins to print then the shitting lag

In my roughly 9 years in computer-based audio production, I still don't think I've ever run out of CPU. I always feel ignorant when people discuss this.

My old computer can't handle running Slate drums and tracking guitars without causing serious latency and then crashing eventually. I have no choice but to print drums.

I do that with reaper. I freeze (print, but can be undone) all the tracks that I am not tweaking. It's one key combination for freezing (and waiting for the track to be processed) and another one to unfreeze it, pretty awesome.

I just don't like having all of those tracks, it clutters up my workspace, and I keep all of the originals because I'm too much of a pussy to get rid of them haha

I'll print Kontakt stuff first if it's a problem. Then amp sims. I don't ever run out of power in Reaper provided I remember to turn up the buffer size for mixing. Pro Tools is far less efficient so I'll have to print stuff sooner, but at least there's audiosuite and playlists etc.

On the other hand, I do like to commit in some projects because it forces you to get a good sound and move on.

I print everything - I don't want sounds changing based on round robin loops or new processing in my mix.

Drum samples ALWAYS get printed, amp sims get printed once I've dialed in a tone (usually in mix, for clean tracks and such), cymbal drops are physical placed/pre-printed anyways, synths get similarly to amp sims, in that I usually get the mix 50-60% done before printing them, just to make sure it's all working and I don't have to do any major velocity changes.

Drum samples ALWAYS get printed, amp sims get printed once I've dialed in a tone (usually in mix, for clean tracks and such), cymbal drops are physical placed/pre-printed anyways, synths get similarly to amp sims, in that I usually get the mix 50-60% done before printing them, just to make sure it's all working and I don't have to do any major velocity changes.

Same here. I do it to save me headaches more than cpu. I like to make those kind of decisions early on and then not worry later. If it's really not working I'll go back and re work it, print it again etc.

Yep - pretty common. For me (using Pro Tools) - when I'm reasonably sure I am happy with how tracks are sounding, I'll render the tracks to another file (either by recording via aux or audiosuite on a duplicated track) and the make the original track inactive. This means my CPU is being saved but I still have the original tracks there with plug-ins still set but made inactive.

On my macbook pro, all audio got freeze (logic9) and synths and vitrual instruments got print.

On my mac Pro nothing gets printed....Trigger doesnt like to be printed. I ran into the same problem as lasse with printing samples, but with the plugin on everything is phase accurate

ps: kontakt 4 is just bejond shit. It is so bad written, it destroyed my macbook pro cpu performance and even my macPro gets a noticable cpu hit.
I so can wait for slates own plugin with the new SSD

the problem is, when you realize that you want to change something,
then you have to print everything again...and again...and again! :D

Fact is, if you know what you are doing, that should not be a problem.

If me/the band are sure drums are ok, I print the additional samples on new tracks so I can remove all plugins stuff... If synths are good, just render stems of the tracks (in Reaper is a one click operation).. So you remove the synth plugin from the track and what you got is a track completely free of plugins, with the midi item you've played as backup, and tha actual active take as audio clip.

When I start a mix I try to commit as much as possible, so I start with a project that has audio tracks only, without any plugin at all.. Then I start the Nebula stuff, quite tedious.. Then commit again, then start the real mix.

Btw, the fact that you can commit a track with one click in Reaper, really opened a new way to work, with me... Now when I'm searching sounds from a synth for example, like pads, textures for atmosphere etc, It's really no brainer... Wow, cool sound, could work - record 4 or more bars - right click -> render stem - move the new audio file in a new track - repeat... In 10 minutes I got complex textures, synth sounds and leads without having to open a instance of Nexus everytime... If you go too far, like too much stuff, deleting or muting it's simple :D