How many of you guys went to school for Audio Engineering?

No JBroll you misunderstood. If you read correctly I said: People who aren't into audio (which isn't your case SINCE YOU ARE....) meaning you'll have leverage because besides being a maths/physics graduate you're into audio. But I was referring to those who don't have any interest or knowledge of audio like audiophiles and AEs.

That makes more sense, thanks for clearing that up. Passion for one's work makes a huge difference, no matter how many pieces of fancy paper are on the wall.

Jeff

i went to school to get started...the local community college where i was living has an exceptionally well-equipped studio for such a small school, thanks to a large grant that some local rich guy left to the school's music dept. upon his death

anyways, i took 3 semesters of the 4 semester AE program...mind you, it's only 1 class/semester, and i'm glad i did it...since it was a community college the tuition was cheap as crap, i learned from an extremely skilled engineer/jazz musician(who is also the director of the performing arts division...helpful when you need letters of recommendation and such), and cut my teeth on some of the finest gear you can find anywhere.

the only thing i didn't like about it is that the aforementioned instructor teaches everything from a very old-school and "proper" approach...i think part of it is his sort of arrogant professional jazz musician attitude, but i also think part of it is the fact that he deals with a lot of clueless 18 year old kids who want to hang out all day in "tha st00dio"...but really, it's easy to see beyond his line of sight when you start mixing heavy shit.

My personal experience so far is that students that go into the AE field are fucking n00bz with no drive to learn shit, at least at my school. When I was interviewing at subcat (studio) they said they get students who don't know what a fucking sm57 is, and it's not because they don't use one all the time at school or that the instructor hasn't brought it up in class. No they just don't give a fuck, they want to turn knobs and look cool. But zero "want" to learn. They will never get jobs in this field let alone at a studio.

That's completely fine though, thins the competition down ALOT (this is probably 75% of the AE people at my school). Fuck em.

Then you have the "get the concept but fuck all when it comes time to use it" people. These are the slightly more adept and have more motivation to learn shit. The downside is they don't have any practice sense of their own. Picture JBroll only without the ability to use EQ :lol:. I feel bad for this group because they really want to do it they just can't, it's like a tone def person trying to sing sure they can get a little better but an opera singer they can not be. (around 5%)

Then their are the know it all know nothings. They are annoying say argue with professors try to "school them" etc... Commonly referred to as "full sail grads" :lol: These are not very common at my school for some reason, maybe it's the price but I have only seen 2 in the couple years I have been there (I graduated after this semester), maybe because my school isn't expensive or something. They will never get jobs at a studio because not only do there mixes reak something rancid, but they argue with the studio owners and give off a shitty ass vibe. In fact the studio owners at subcat (studio where I intern) doesn't touch these douches with a mile long pole let alone give them a fucking job.

Then there are the adept people who really kickass at school. Get good mixes somehow on school gear etc. etc. Pretty good people to work with and get their shit done. Problem is they stop at school experiences and don't bother to really get any more. They know how to use the stuff but setting it up might be an issue. Why things work trumps how they work. These people are not bad they have a better chance of getting into a studio than any of the others but yeah maybe not.

Then you have the elite few that exhibit all of the fallowing:

They have a great personality, VERY fucking easy to work with.
They can tell it how it is without crushing egos to hard and get a good recorded sound.
They know through experience where a mic goes by their own trial and error, not a teacher or textbook.
They get the work fucking done in a timely manor.
They have useful knowledge like why amp "A" works better than amp "B" for getting "the sound".
No piece of gear intimidates them, they got out of the box.
They understand signal routing, why you do or do not hook something up "like so".
They are willing to experiment.
They don't sweat it when presented with a challenge, that shit gets taken care of quick.
They posses the ability to mic anything and get a good sound out of it, even if they don't know quite what the fuck "it" is.
They bought some fucking gear and used it while in college.
They payed attention and soaked up as much as they could at their internship.
They didn't bitch about anything they had to do at there internship, no matter how lowly it seemed.

The last person doesn't exist, people always have flaws etc. But I say if you don't land yourself in the final category you might as well just say "fuck it" and do something else and consider this a hobby.