How many of you think "Black Rose Immortal" is Opeth's finest masterpiece?

Black Rose Immortal - Opeth's finest work?

• YES! Without a shadow of doubt....

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • It's up there, but not quite the best Opeth have done

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • No, there are quite a few songs better than it.

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters
:lol: dyslexic online, aww :p

But also, who's to say what is the "best" or "the" masterpiece? It's all subjective, people.
But the person who started this included the word "think," so this isn't directed toward him. Kudos to him ;)

it has some GREAT riffs.. but its simply too pieced together to be one of the best songs- and I really hate the opening riff.

illbeleavinnow said:
How is it posible to think it's one of their worst? I can kind of understand why some people would think there are better Opeth songs, and why some think it's not their opus (especially with songs like April Ethereal, When, THe Moor, Leper Affinity), but one of their worst?? That just doesn't work. That's like saying Beethoven couldn't compose music.

It's not opinion, it's fact: BRI owns.

Hehe. My top five Opeth tracks (not in order): April Ethereal, When, The Moor, The Leper Affinity, Black Rose Immortal.

Yeah, seriously...that opening riff REALLy kicks things off amazingly well. "In the name of desperation...." shit, those vocals - as soon as they come in - amaze me still. Just awesome stuff, no doubt about it!

And seriously, this song has the GREATEST acoustic moments IMO. The TWO best I have ever, ever heard. First, the one right around the beautiful, ambient sound of a river (or something like that) - just so hauntingly amazing, and so beautifully played. This is the first part that truly wowed about the song back in the day (keep in mind, it took me a few days to digest the song in its enirety.) The next obviously, is the one played shortly after that amazing, atmospheric violin sound made by the guitar. Then, the acoustic comes in as Mike sings "Song birds leave their dark recesses. Shadows glid the archways." The contrast here is absolutely brilliant. Too good for words. And after when it gets into MY FAVOURITE part of the song (Lullaby of the crescent moon) it just never ceases to amaze me how incredible the song always is to me...it's like, after all this time, I get the same feeling and chills from it....that to me, makes a masterful song.

Well, I got my answer from the poll at least...so far, BRI by most isn't considered to be the best (at least in these forums that is)...oh well, at least people appreciate it for what it is.

Isn't it so that Opeth could've just as well knit a few songs, of for example Still Life, together? And would that then have been their biggest opus? I think a lot of Still Life's songs kick BRI's ass!

AbsentFriend said:
Isn't it so that Opeth could've just as well knit a few songs, of for example Still Life, together? And would that then have been their biggest opus? I think a lot of Still Life's songs kick BRI's ass!

No. The only bit of Still Life which rivals BRI is when The Moor kicks in. My Arms Your Hearse, however, is better as a whole than Black Rose Immortal, if you were to count that as one song. NOTHING is more beautiful, epic and emotional than 9-16 minutes of BRI though, it's just incredible.

Forest of October never hit me like it should've....omg, I WANT TO APPRECIATE THAT SONG 'CAUSE YOU ARE MY IDOL AND I'LL NEVER BE COMPLETELY LIKE YOU WITHOUT ADORING THAT SONG

:/

I had it wrong. The best part starts at 11:57. Amazing. BTW, The Moor is better than BRI. That's an opinion, yeah.

Maybe the question should have been "How many people think BRI is Opeth's best just because it goes for 20 minutes".

I certainly don't. It's a fine song, but split it in two and no-one would have known the difference.

The thing about Morningrise and Black Rose Immortal in particular is I never listen to it unless I am going to pay FULL attention, whereas other Opeth albums I'll put on in the background while I'm surfing the web and stuff. When I listen to the album I usually plan it ahead of time and it always leaves me with the same feeling (BRI most notably). So, yeah... I think it is their best.

Hi!, well I really just can't decide if BRI or Bleak are my favourite Opeth song (with the Moor coming in close though) But I only have BwP, SL and Morningrise, so i know I'm really missing out on some stuff with the other four albums. So i can't really say weather it's "Their best song" because I havent heard them all...
I just can't decide between them. I really love the middle-east vibe Bleak reeks of, which makes it a love/hate kinda song aswell. It does flow better than BRI as a song overal. But BRI has some of the most beautiful Opeth moments (I've heard a least), the most melodic, the most atmospheric, the darkest, etc... moments in it so I just have to say it is their best I've heard (with some pretty cool solo's, actually sounding a little bit like Yngwie with the harmonic minor textures).
But I'll have to ay i agree with you, it is a "masterpeice", and should be played live dammit!