How many of you think "Black Rose Immortal" is Opeth's finest masterpiece?

Black Rose Immortal - Opeth's finest work?

• YES! Without a shadow of doubt....

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • It's up there, but not quite the best Opeth have done

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • No, there are quite a few songs better than it.

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
Alright, I couldn't help myself...it was only a matter of time before I posted this poll up. Seeing as how BRI didn't make it nowhere in the finals or anywhere close to the finals (which shocked me immensely), I'm just wondering how many here actually think BRI is Opeth's greatest song?

I'm guessing many new members had come to the forums with the newer albums stuck in their minds.

Anyway, to me Black Rose Immortal is Opeth's OPUS...the pinnacle of what they have accomplished. It is a musical journey...you can just escape into the music and find yourself lost, enjoying every second of it. Dark, brutal, and absolutely beautiful.....

it is good. in my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad opeth song, but it is not a masterpiece. there best music is yet to come. these guys just keep getting better.

Dark Life Dying said:
To me 'Black Rose Immortal' is the best song ever written :) I wish they would play it live!

Damn straight, dude!

And I don't think Opeth are particularly getting better (which is evident with Deliverance.) They keep releasing good/amazing albums, but...they're not exactly getting better IMO. Progressing, changing their style maybe, yes. I mean, they always have some sort of different sound and it is always good...

I generaly consider either The Moor or BRI to be my favorite Opeth song, so yes it is definatly one of the greatest songs I have ever heard!

As for Opeth "constantly getting better," I would say I have to disagree. Just consider the popularity of Deliverance and Damnation. They are liked by most people and loved by some, but look at any of the ten m illion "best Opeth album" polls and which two are at the bottom. Personaly I found Deliverance to be good, but no where near the previous efforts on a whole, and found Damnation to be very good, one of the better singer/songwriter style albums in recent memory, but still far beyond previous masterpeices such as Still Life, Morningrise or MAYH. But then again I dont think it was intended to be...

It's cool Mikael pieced together a 21 minute song. Some of the parts of the song are really really good, but a couple of parts are boring and that's why I'm gonna have to say there's quite a few better songs.

I think 9-16 mins of BRI is the best thing they've ever done, and the rest is excellent. It isn't QUITE my favourite though, so I went for the second option.

It's a great epic for sure, but a lot of it is disjointed. In my opinion. I mean there's that one riff around 13 minutes or something that starts acoustic and then builds into an electric version. You know? Da-dum-da-da-da-da-dum, da-dum-da-da-da-da-DUM! It's worth listening for that, yeah, but it's not my all-time favorite. I hope they try another one like it soon, with Mikael's improved growling. Sweet!

JoeVice said:
there best music is yet to come.

I agree with this. The reason Deliverance and Damnation are considered weak efforts is because you have to take in account the recording conditions. We've all hear how horrible the sessions were, plus, they had released an album every year since, like, Still Life. If given a proper resting period, where Mikael can spend more time on writing music AND lyrics, then I believe they can pull out something really amazing.

I think people should keep in mind these guys made a 20 minute song which keeps us interested from beginning to end. Not to mention it has some of the most catchiest riffs Opeth have ever done, second only to the opening of In the Night and the Silent Water, and on top of that the most powerful ending to any metal song, scream, guitars, and all.

So BRI is my favorite metal song of all time. And yeah it's a masterpiece.

How is it posible to think it's one of their worst? I can kind of understand why some people would think there are better Opeth songs, and why some think it's not their opus (especially with songs like April Ethereal, When, THe Moor, Leper Affinity), but one of their worst?? That just doesn't work. That's like saying Beethoven couldn't compose music.

It's not opinion, it's fact: BRI owns.

I liked it alot...I love very long songs and unlike other very long songs theyve written this one i enjoyed beginning to end...I remember this song taking FOREVER to download one time (about over a year ago) and i was like "this better be fucking worth it!" and my chat friend kept saying "yeah it is!" and lo and behold it finished and it rocked my socks clean off...
However there are other songs that i enjoy....

BRI is fucking amazing! There is no song I like better by anyone else except maybe Tool: Reflection. I love the lyrics, especially

"It's getting dark again
dusk shuffle across the fields
the evening trees moan
as if they knew
at night I always dream of you"

and of course 8:00-14:00 is the single best Opeth part ever. To say it sucks means you are not a true Opeth fan. I mean, this song is what Opeth is about!

Id said:
It's my second favorite Opeth song after TTIMR. I don't get bored of BRI at all.

Twilight is my favorite song too, and I also really love BRI. I wouldn't call BRI THE best song, because I couldn't say that they have a "best" song. But it's certainly up there WITH the best. And the "best" songs are all on the same level with me.

But it's certainly the most epic, so, by default, it is the best epic Opeth song ;)