How NOT to book a show, methinks...

That sounds like some balls of organisation. I remember playing gigs organised by kids too like this and we eventually learnt what bs they were. Getting a phonecall that day saying, "oh ya, we need a drumkit, amps and bass amps too". And then you bring the shit and there is a crowd of 10-20 people. It really took all the fun out of gigging round here anyways.
Yup, that's pretty much how things go here in Ireland. The only ones that ever went right (for me at least, being the drummer) were when I brought my own kit! That and the odd gig with bands who've been on the scene a while!
I left the live scene for these reasons!

Yup, that's pretty much how things go here in Ireland. The only ones that ever went right (for me at least, being the drummer) were when I brought my own kit! That and the odd gig with bands who've been on the scene a while!
I left the live scene for these reasons!

ya man, It comes to a point where you will never travel too far from home because you cant rely on there being anything there. It's a shame really as there are some great bands in Ireland but I can definitely understand leaving the live scene. We did the same, we never did gig much but nothing ever went smoothly so we lost confidence in the organisers too.

Man if they spent the same amount of time on the music as they spent doctoring photos and adding "friends" on myspace, they might actually get somewhere :lol:

11,000 friends?? Chicks actually talk to those guys?? like a million shows booked?? what the FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?? They book shows like (needs bands and a venue)... so are they like "we wanna play a fucken awesome gig that day!!!!11! LETS BOOK ONE"?
This is seriously wrong in so many levels.

and why, OH WHY IS THE UGLIEST AND FATTEST GUY _ALWAYS_ THE DRUMMER

One thing that is really funny to me is on thier tour dates, they have a show in Wolf Point, MT. Wolf Point and the town right next to it, Poplar, are both on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. Those towns are known to have some of the highest rates of homicide, per capita (low population, but lots of people get killed), in the entire United States. This usually isn't talked about because they are not a major city, and they are on a reservation so only so much info actually gets recorded. Poplar, MT is actually nicknamed "Stab City" by the folks that live there.

I'm curious as to how that turns out for them, given their color and thier personalities...they will probably need the National Guard to chaperone them at that show. Wolf Point and Poplar are 2 towns I'm actually afraid to be in, and I used to live 60 miles from the Mexican border. The ghetto in Tucson, AZ has nothing on those towns. I had to take this beat-off up to the Juvenile Detention Center in Poplar a couple years ago when I was working in a Youth Mental Health facility...fuck that, never again!

Also, thier *sold out* birthday party shows....shit is fuckin funny.

When I was 16 I was in a shitty garage band. We took hundred of shitty pics of us in someone's backyard. We spent more time on that and designing shitty logos than practicing our shitty songs.

But we didn't have the Internet so everyone could see how shitty we were. Just our moms. And they lied and told us we were good.

Stuff like this makes me think. Seriously! It's great that kids are still into picking up instruments and wanting to join bands and write music. But with the immediacy of the Internet, you can record 1-2 songs, create a MySpace, throw up some pics, and whore yourself out to thousands of fake friends and call it a day. Where's the progress?

/steps off old man soapbox

and why, OH WHY IS THE UGLIEST AND FATTEST GUY _ALWAYS_ THE DRUMMER

220px-Gene_Hoglan%2C_Gods_of_Metal_2005%2C_Italy.jpg

Two words: GENE HOGLAN!

I like their booking approach... They decide that they need a gig on date X at a place Y, but they haven't confirmed anything.

Jun 29 2010 7:00P Tba(Needs bands and a venue) Sidney, Montana
Jul 1 2010 7:00P w/Bad Blood,Only For A Moment(Needs bands and a venue) Havre, Montana
Jul 2 2010 8:00P w/Ragen Gagen(Needs bands and a venue) Cut Bank, Montana
Jul 4 2010 8:00P w/Freak Show(Needs bands and a venue) Columbia Falls, Montana
Jul 5 2010 8:00P w/Dead Deer Boy,Freak Show(Needs bands and a venue) Whitefish, Montana
Jul 7 2010 7:00P Tba(Needs bands and a venue) Bigfork, Montana
Jul 14 2010 8:00P Tba(Needs bands and a venue) Helena, Montana
Jul 16 2010 7:00P w/Snatch Murphy (needs a Venue &Bands) Great Falls, Montana
Jul 20 2010 7:00P w/Redemption Rising(Needs bands and a venue) Livingston, Montana
Jul 21 2010 7:00P w/Eternal Downfall(needs a venue) Laurel, Montana
Jul 23 2010 8:00P Tba(needs bands and a venue) Round Up, Montana

ya man, It comes to a point where you will never travel too far from home because you cant rely on there being anything there. It's a shame really as there are some great bands in Ireland but I can definitely understand leaving the live scene. We did the same, we never did gig much but nothing ever went smoothly so we lost confidence in the organisers too.

Yeah man, I played with Thoughts of Ruin for quite a while, we always had to travel far for gigs and rarely even got travel expenses even though the promotors would make quite a bit off our performance! Then when you do supply the backline, bands would always treat your gear like shit. I've had cymbal stands, triggers, modules etc. broken on me with no form of reimbursment!
Most promotors do a shit job, so after you've loaded your car with all of your gear, drove for two hours each way and managed to get about three hours sleep before work the next day - it all seems pointless when it costs you time and money to play a show to fuck all people!

Yeah man, I played with Thoughts of Ruin for quite a while, we always had to travel far for gigs and rarely even got travel expenses even though the promotors would make quite a bit off our performance! Then when you do supply the backline, bands would always treat your gear like shit. I've had cymbal stands, triggers, modules etc. broken on me with no form of reimbursment!
Most promotors do a shit job, so after you've loaded your car with all of your gear, drove for two hours each way and managed to get about three hours sleep before work the next day - it all seems pointless when it costs you time and money to play a show to fuck all people!

Yup, I can relate to that. Though we were never in the same league as yourselves, it seems to be the same story no matter what level you are at. In fairness though thoughts of ruin did make a name for themselves and I remember always hoping to play with ye. Our last gig was with iBurn, another great band, but I remember one gig this year where the organiser was meant to have fucked with thoughts of ruin again and they pulled out. After playing, we regretted not doing the same, no crowd, brought loads of gear, just a bad experience really, but we didnt do anymore gigs with that promoter thank god. Are you still in a band?

That song on the Myspace...my friend who plays guitar taught me how to play that exact chord sequence calling it the ultimate "cliche" song ahaha. I can't even tell where the bars in that song start and by the sounds of it, neither can they.:ill:

And do they even know what an acoustic guitar is?

for extra lulz, watch the video on their myspace page.

you werent kidding about the singers voice