How often do you still play the 'classic' CDs?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Do the records that you've been into for more than ten years (or twenty, for some of us!) still receive regular spins?

For example, I first got into Maiden in 1984, buying both Piece of Mind and Number of the Beast on the same day that summer. Love both records, consider undisputed classics of the metal genre. However, at most, I play these once/year. Ive just played them out over the years...and dont feel the need to go back to them often.

Same can be said for other classics I've been into for many years, such as "Paranoid", "Screaming for Vengeance", "Master of Puppets", etc.

Do you feel the same, or do your fav, classic discs from years passed still find regular time in your CD player?

I must say, however, that Sabbath's "Heaven & Hell" has been played, at least, once per month, for the last 20 years. I never get tired of the atmosphere and grandeur of that awesome, classic record.

I still play the old 80s albums regularly (I'd guess 1 old school to 4 new cds). Sure, some of the classics didn't quite have the depth (or were just played TOO DAMN MUCH by radio and friends) to be spun more than once per year around these hallowed halls. But I have a long list of classics that I still listen to regularly:

Ozzy - Diary / Maiden - NofB, Piece of Mind / Sabbath - Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules / Queensryche - Mindcrime / Alcatrazz - No Parole / Riot - Fire Down Under, Restless Breed, Thundersteel / Fates Warning - Spectre, Guardian / Q5 - Steel the Light / Demon - Unexpected Guest, Plague / Savatage - All / Blue Oyster Cult - All / ....

I'll stop there because I'll end up writing another novel. But you get the idea. I love the new music too, but I am still stuck in the 80s because those albums are not only great, but they have great memories attached to them.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Demon - Unexpected Guest, Plague /

Astounding, I was playing those yesterday :D

All the time. I never tired to state the main fact for me: my collection should rotate on regular basis. If an album gets relegated to the i don't feel like play it then that album must exit since is just occupying useful space.

I try to alternate between new and old, prog, power, traditional, thrash, doom while I'm playing CDs.

well shit, iron maiden'ss my favorite...there usually isnt 2 days that go by where i havent listened to maiden at least once, and thats not alot for me.

and of course rainbow (dio era is what i like) rocks...starstruck, gates of babylon, kill the king. dio as well...and dio era sabbath, heaven and hell.

i do listened to judas preist but not too frequently, they arent among my favorites. same with savatage and queensryche.

i do love riot, especially the Thundersteel album.

It happens in phases for me. I might not listen to Master of Puppets, Number of the Beast, etc. for 5 months, and then all of a sudden I'm kind of obsessed with one of them, for at least a week anyway. So, yeah, I do still listen to them, but it is not uncommon for any of them to sit for a good bit of time overlooked. Also, releases like Beast Over Hammersmith tend to give various things new life for me. I found that record not boring in the least even though I've heard all those songs literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of times. I played that release A LOT for at least 3 months.

Still, with any "classic," there tends to exist the fact that when first I got it I listened to it more than is healthy. To that end, Blackwater Park, though still rather new generally speaking, rarely gets play by me anymore. Of course, it was the MAIN cd I was listening to for at least 6 to 8 months after its release.

It's all "classics" most of the time for me these days. I'm VERY bored with new music these days... have been for about the last year or so. I'm actually going through my collection filtering out most (but not all) of the stuff from the mid 90's on. I've found that there is way too much music from the 80's that I need to track down so I've given up on new stuff.

cool thread. I must admit i listen to the classics mostly.even re-discovering some of the neglected ones over the years as if they were new releases(lol). for one reason or another with some bands(although rare)I wasn't able to be exposed to them when first released.everything i actually did get into when i was a kid i play more than anything else.much of what you said holds true concerning the heaven and hell l.p. i feel that way about alot of the classics.nothing wrong with new music.I just perfer the older stuff.seems to get better with age i.m.o.

I seldom listen to the classics. Most of the time I am playing the newer stuff. That does not mean that I don't like the older bands. I do. But I have my moments when I play UFO or Priest or Rush for a whole week.

That helps :)

Usually I dig them out of the shelf the days/weeks before a concert, for example earlier this year before going to Maiden, Slayer and Manowar gigs.

Otherwise I alternate between old and new stuff but I don't necesserily listen to the classics very often anymore. I still do it at times but I'm always hungry for something new or for albums that I don't know well enough yet.

Well everyone knows I am an Accept nut and I don't know for sure or not if there has been one month that has gone by since 1984 that I haven't listened to some Accept. Metal Church (Howe era in particular though I do like Wayne era as well) also has been a mainstay. Accept should have gained the noteriety of Priest and Maiden.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Accept should have gained the noteriety of Priest and Maiden.

I agree. "Breaker" through "Metal Heart" is as impressive as any run of Priest records, IMO. "Russian Roulette" is also awesome, but just a notch below the others, IMO.

Why do you think Accept failed to make it huge? Udo's look and vocals, perhaps? I'm not sure.

The melodies were there....the guitarists totally ruled. Why didn't more metal fans just eat this stuff up? I always thought they should have been much bigger, as well.

I have to confess that I listen to all the old classic albums ALL OF THE TIME. I'm continually listening to Zep, Floyd, Sabbath, AC/DC, UFO, Deep Purple, Priest, Scorps, Free etc etc. And never a day goes by without me listening to at least one nwobhm album but usually I will listen to at least 2 nwobhm albums in any one day.

The more I think about it, maybe I am stuck in some sort of timewarp cos there's hardly any new bands that I'm into. There's really only a handful of newer bands that I like - a reasonably new band that I think are awesome are called Open Hand and they played here in Glasgow in June and I'm not kidding you on, they were out of this world. Again there was only about 40 folk there and they started off with my 2 fav Open Hand songs, Hard Night and Pure Concentrated Evil. I think they come from LA, so youse must check them out if they're playing near you, they are superb.

I really like Dragonforce and their cd Sonic Firestorm is mindblowing. I'm going to see them at the end of January, so that'll be another awesome concert. I quite like a band called Hurricane Party now called Roadstar and they're supporting Thunder so I'll see them when I go to see Thunder middle January. Also an Irish band called The Answer, they are brill, very Zeppy, so I'd love to see them some time soon. Another new band that I think are great are called The Music, they were playing here last Christmas but ufnortunately I got my rock n roll diary mixed up and ended up going to a pantomine on the same night!!!