How Should I connect the Pod XT Pro?

veronicafalls

Mar 26, 2009
Puyallup, Washington
How Should I connect the Pod XT Pro to audio interface? I have the Tascam US-1641 and I need suggestions for how I should connect the Pod XT Pro to the Tascam. When I read through the manual it suggested line balanced outputs of something of the sort. And I haven't had time to experiment lately since I'm away from it right now. When I did try, I used the XLR outputs to this interface and it sounded like the attack of guitar was lost significantly, and when I did direct out it was alright. I didn't read the manual until a day later for connections on the line 6. I've also heard that a tube preamp could also help in beefing up signal when set up correctly, is that true? Are there any suggestions for connecting the Pod XT Pro?

i connect my LEFT balanced output (mono track) to my presonus firebox preamp or i use spdif.
another option is record DI signal and then use VST.

i usually use SPDIF out to my presonus firebox.;)
or, i record guitar DI with my firebox preamp and then i load vst plugin (pod farm), but...is there some differences between to record with guitar directly to POD (spdif, analog outputs) and use VST plugin?¿

and Metaltastic, left balanced to line in better than to preamp?

Yeah, because you can turn up the output level on the Pod to get the level you need, better to do that instead of turning up the mic preamp gain and adding in unwanted noise/color (unless you have a good preamp that adds desirable color, but somehow I doubt that :D)

i feel the need to chime on this thread everytime it occurs (every few months or so) ... the entire time I had my podXT i would track guitar by just using the pod itself as the interface. when you plug the pod in via USB, your DAW will recognize it as a ASIO device...so if it's not too much of a clunky cable nightmare, just unplug the tascam for a bit and use the pod itself as a soundcard. you'll hafta plug your monitors into the outs of the pod, but it worked really well for me. you get to use that neat little app to control the pod without having to touch the knobs or anything either, similar to podfarm but using the outboard hardware processing. no conversion at all, at any point. it's the most direct way to get pod > DAW.

but...again, for most situations, this method is a little too crude/clunky. and forbids you to track anything else other than guitar at one time.

i feel the need to chime on this thread everytime it occurs (every few months or so) ... the entire time I had my podXT i would track guitar by just using the pod itself as the interface. when you plug the pod in via USB, your DAW will recognize it as a ASIO device...so if it's not too much of a clunky cable nightmare, just unplug the tascam for a bit and use the pod itself as a soundcard. you'll hafta plug your monitors into the outs of the pod, but it worked really well for me. you get to use that neat little app to control the pod without having to touch the knobs or anything either, similar to podfarm but using the outboard hardware processing. no conversion at all, at any point. it's the most direct way to get pod > DAW.

but...again, for most situations, this method is a little too crude/clunky. and forbids you to track anything else other than guitar at one time.

I've actually been doing that method for a few months now. And I think it's okay but I'm actually needing to record guitar and then possibly try vocals without having to constantly plug and unplug the pod. And today I just tried recording the SPDIF out, and it doesn't sound too bad.