How things change....

ds336

Nov 19, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Visit site
I was just thinking about how things have changed since I've joined the Hypocrisy board. I joined about 3 years ago (I barely posted until recently) & I can remember when 'Osculum Obscenum,' 'The Fourth Dimension,' & 'The Final Chapter,' were the favorites, and my favorite at the time 'Hypocrisy' was in the minority (so it seemed) of fans. ('Abducted' I believe always had a strong following.) Now I laugh because I recently voted for 'The Final Chapter' as my favorite & barely talk about the self-titled album! I still love 'Hypocrisy' but it's many albums later & I've learned to like a lot more of the other albums, especially 'Virus,' 'The Arrival,' & 'Into the Abyss.' People's tastes change over time; sometimes we hear something we might not have liked then, but like it now or vice versa. Also, the crowds who come on here I'm sure change many, many times over the years! So how about you Hypocrisy board veterans? What observations over the years have you made?:headbang:

At first i was totally into the melodic stuff (Hypocrisy/The Arrival) and i liked also Into the Abyss. I think this is more the simple stuff. The older material is a bit complex. It took me a long time to get into Abducted - Final Chapter and The 4th Dimension. I liked songs like Roswell 47 and Apocalypse from the beginning but it took me a long time to get into the whole 4th Dimension. For me its a bit weird album. There are also some songs on Abduted and Final Chapter which took me a long time to get into it but now i really love that stuff.

Songs like Roswell 47, until the end, and fire in the sky were the kind that really hooked me -- back when I was asking what their best albums were, people were telling me Penetralia and Osculum Obscenum, and I just didn't agree at all -- I've always loved their melodic stuff more than their straight up death metal -- until Virus it was all pretty much the same to me, but their new brutal shit really stands out not only as great songs individually, but stand out from all the other cookie cutter death metal out there. :)