How to create an image for screen printing?

ItsAFugazzi

boat is boat.
Jun 4, 2008
North East, UK.
www.myspace.com
I've created a mockup for my bands new t-shirt CLICKY

Now i'm not too familiar with the concept of screen printing. But I am aware that I couldnt just send this design off to the T-shirt company and tell them to print it. What exactly do I need to do to prepare the image for screen printing?

Excuse my n00byness!

- Rick.

Hey dude! Actually, as long as it's 300dpi, you can just send a PDF version to most places and they'll be able to deal with it for you! :) Remember, when it comes to T Shirts though, the more gradients/ colors you have. The harder it will be to print/ cost you more. Just something to bare in mind :)

That picture is certainly NOT an easy thing to deal with if you're going for screen printing. I'll try to explain:

The most basic thing that you should know about screen print is that there are NO GRADIENTS! Yes, it can be achieved through effect, and that effect is called raster halftone (if you're printing a pattern of miniature white dots on black surface, you will get an impression of a grey tone). Now, the finer the raster - the more realistic and finer gradients of the image. I don't know what's the limitation resolution-wise in that particular print shop, but there is also a problem if a raster dots are too small then they eventually peel or wash off...

I dont' know what else to tell ya... just ask if you need to know anything else.

But, looking at your picture I would definitely suggest some additional work on that image, such as:
- the margins don't fade out, which mean when you print this on a black t-shirt you will clearly have a rectangularly framed image (unless you're going for that).
- the "black magic" text is much brighter than the image itself, maybe you ought to try to brighten the image a bit more?
- the skull will HARDLY be visible on t-shirt...

Sorry if I'm messing with your work!

If i recall correctly the only thing that matters is that the DPI is high enough so that the picture wont become blurry at the print size and that the image should be in CMYK instead of RGB.

If i recall correctly the only thing that matters is that the DPI is high enough so that the picture wont become blurry at the print size and that the image should be in CMYK instead of RGB.

That rule for the DPI applies when you're doing normal printing (digital, offset, etc.), but the screen printing is actually limited with resolution because of the nature of the silk through which color passes (it certainly isn't 300 dpi). But it is recommended a minimum of a 150dpi for a given dimension.

And nope, CMYK/RGB doesn't apply here since it's only one color ;)

So basically it will all just be white? How do I go about doing that? Just by messing with the contrast?

Well, theoretically yes, but what I'm seeing right now I'm not sure that you'll be able to achieve the same image with that procedure... The best solution actually involves many steps (reducing the contrast, putting some noise, then doing a hard b/w contrast, among others...).

Just to give you an idea of what nervirasme is saying, this is similar to what your shirt would look like printed.. gradients are represented by dots with varying intensity that simulate what a gradient looks like (a halftone, as already mentioned). From far away your shirt will look similar to what it does on the screen but you can see the dots up close. To avoid this you have to make shirts with solid colors. The skull would probably not be visible on the print. I worked at a tshirt shop for 4 years designing shirts while I was in college. 150 dpi at the full print size (for designs using a halftone) is usually sufficient, otherwise we always recommended 300 for crisp, clean lines.

Also, wtf is up with "Elkhart" below the skull guy thing? I don't know if this is an original creation but you can't just piece together designs from images on the interwebz. You have to take them from a stock website (like deviantart stock) or you are violating copyright. Not accusing you of anything, just FYI

shirthalftone.jpg

You can also check out some other printing methods than screen. There's DTG (Direct To Garment) which is, as far as I know, kinda like printing on the shirt with a regular printer as with your computer. Great for smaller quantities and can handle small details very good. I've never used it myself and my own designs that get printed is screen.

That picture is certainly NOT an easy thing to deal with if you're going for screen printing. I'll try to explain:

The most basic thing that you should know about screen print is that there are NO GRADIENTS! Yes, it can be achieved through effect, and that effect is called raster halftone (if you're printing a pattern of miniature white dots on black surface, you will get an impression of a grey tone). Now, the finer the raster - the more realistic and finer gradients of the image. I don't know what's the limitation resolution-wise in that particular epson T078120 ink toner cartridge remanufactured shop, but there is also a problem if a raster dots are too small then they eventually peel or wash off...

I dont' know what else to tell ya... just ask if you need to know anything else.

But, looking at your picture I would definitely suggest some additional work on that image, such as:
- the margins don't fade out, which mean when you print this on a black t-shirt you will clearly have a rectangularly framed image (unless you're going for that).
- the "black magic" text is much brighter than the image itself, maybe you ought to try to brighten the image a bit more?
- the skull will HARDLY be visible on t-shirt...

Sorry if I'm messing with your work!

Well I guess I have to take this points into consideration before I actually go and start my own screen printing. Maybe I need to go into a shop that would print such things then. Anyway, thanks.

I dont know if you want this to be printed low-budget (1 color), or want to spent abit more, using 4 colors for example. Yes this is a black and white image, with 4 colors i mean ink. So if it gonna be a black shirt, they could take for example a white ink, a light gray one, a medium gray one and a darker grey ink. It will cost alot more, but is alot nicer if done so. One advice is, go to a printshop who actually is used to printing full-color metal shirts, even if you don't go for more colors.

I've created a mockup for my bands new t-shirt CLICKY

Now i'm not too familiar with the concept of screen printing. But I am aware that I couldnt just send this design off to the T-shirt company and tell them to print it. What exactly do I need to do to prepare the image for screen printing?

Excuse my n00byness!

- Rick.

how did you create the image!?

most t-shirt companies, well at least the serious ones have acess to all kinds of illusttrator, designer, graphic etc. tools.

so basically you could send then just the original file.

A PDF is uniersal also, just make sure to get the correct settings when creating PDF's out of images. (quality related)