How to eliminate annoying room verb

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
So for the time being, I record vocals in a separate room. The room is empty with only a bed and table in it. The walls are bare, except for my pathetic attempt at using blankets for soundproofing. :erk: My recent vocal work has been noticeably annoying. I hear this verb, and it's disgusting. A few forum members noticed it as well, even at my attempt at covering it.

My questions is, how does Joey, seeing how he tracks vocals in a big living-room type room, not get that annoying early reflection? All the studio updates I see, it doesn't look like he sound treated his control room.

This thing here is what must obviously be doing it. What is it, and how much do I have to pay to get a decent one, and not a behemoth like that. :err:

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing he uses in this video is this:

RealTraps' Portable Vocal Booth

There are some other devices doing the same thing, with more or less good results... The RealTraps guy pretty much seems to love to bash on those devices, too. One of them is the sE Electronics' Reflections Filter.

Personally, in my studio, I'm getting good results with an SM7B without any treatment at all. I've already made a kind of V shape with a blanket where I put the mic in the middle (kind of cheapest way to recreate the PVB lol, I've had good results too.

The thing he uses in this video is this:

RealTraps' Portable Vocal Booth

There are some other devices doing the same thing, with more or less good results... The RealTraps guy pretty much seems to love to bash on those devices, too. One of them is the sE Electronics' Reflections Filter.

Personally, in my studio, I'm getting good results with an SM7B without any treatment at all. I've already made a kind of V shape with a blanket where I put the mic in the middle (kind of cheapest way to recreate the PVB lol, I've had good results too.

I hear so much about the SM7B. Its an amazing microphone. I need it so bad. I would love to use that.

THERES ONLY ONE IN STOCK?! Well im deff buying that this Friday.

I've been thinking of picking something like this up, or making one. both for vocals and for recording guitars as I get bad reverb sometimes when micing cabs. Let us know what you get and how you like it!

Ill deff let you guys know. I'm sure it will get the job done. I love how it has the studio foam. That shit is expensive.

im wondering if it would be worth it to make one. the only reason i am leaning toward no is because of just that my friend, the studio foam. im thinking about making my own and picture documenting it.

Quick piece of advise. I got an SM7B (i got lucky) brand new from the US for $350.

my advise is spend your $300 on the SM7B not a vocal booth to make up for your current inadequate mic. As all good engineers say it has to come good from the source to start with

All my vocal productions have improved dramatically since i bought it, and all i do is put it on a stand in the middle of my bedroom with the default wind shield pop filter on it, get the vocalist to stand really close, like almost touching it, and you get great, full sounds most of the time, with minimal room noise. This is because it is a dynamic mic so it is cardiod (directional), and also has a lower level, so it can take a beating (screaming vocals) and the directionality means you get more of the singer and less of your room, unlike you would get on a large or small diaphragm condenser which is probably omni, which is not directional and hence picks up all the room sounds

Quick piece of advise. I got an SM7B (i got lucky) brand new from the US for $350.

my advise is spend your $300 on the SM7B not a vocal booth to make up for your current inadequate mic. As all good engineers say it has to come good from the source to start with

All my vocal productions have improved dramatically since i bought it, and all i do is put it on a stand in the middle of my bedroom with the default wind shield pop filter on it, get the vocalist to stand really close, like almost touching it, and you get great, full sounds most of the time, with minimal room noise. This is because it is a dynamic mic so it is cardiod (directional), and also has a lower level, so it can take a beating (screaming vocals) and the directionality means you get more of the singer and less of your room, unlike you would get on a large or small diaphragm condenser which is probably omni, which is not directional and hence picks up all the room sounds

Yeah that's true. Mines a condenser. I know what each mic does and how it reacts to a room, but as of right now, I can only afford something cheap, and instead of buying a cheap dynamic mic, I would prefer this. My mic records awesome vocals, it's just super sensitive. But yeah, my dream mic is the SM7B. It's a great mic.

Go get some wall insulation from a hardware store. Acoustic rated and as dense as possible. Wrap the sheets in fabric and stick them to the walls. Add as many as you think it needs but it will kill the reverb a little more each panel.

See if you can find an industrial insulation distribution center that carries Owens Corning 703. I buy it from SPI here in Dallas and you can buy per sheet or per bundle. Just get some breathable fabric that isnt shiny (reflective) and use some 3M glue to glue it on the sheet of 703 fiberboard. You can hang them or make a small frame to put them in to get a more attractive product. The 703 works better than the Auralex stuff IMO but it also requires more work. I made some traps that are 3 sheets thick for my back wall in the mixing room and I have 2" traps in the reflection points. I also cut the sheets in half and then half again from corner to corner to make triangles to stack in the corners from floor to ceiling. Then framed with 1x1 and stapled fabric over it. go to www.greentownstudio.com to see the pics.