how to gain weight

the_preppy said:
my guess is, honestly? you're not eating enough, which i know sounds weird. but really... make sure you eat enough calories or you're body may start burning muscle for energy instead of fat (a bizarre energy system thing with the liver and glycogen) and you will lose muscle and retain fat because your body is in a 'we might starve, we need to keep this' mode. i suggest eating at least every 3 hours. and not within a few hours of bed.
Ahh, thanks for that. Yes, I do admit to be very self conscious when it comes to eating, and I've been eating very little this past week (so much so that I wake up feeling incredibly hungry) so it might have something to do with that.

In any case, I've decided to finally go see a nutriologist (is that even a word in English? Heh) on monday and get some help/advice. I'll find out how many calories I need/am missing per day...thanks :)

Oh, and I'll be heading to the gym in about 30 minutes, so I'll finally see if it was water retetntion or not (I've easily pissed away those 4 liters by now :p ).

I'm excited, I've changed nothing about my eating patterns but I've gained between two and three pounds in the past week. I'm hoping to get myself up to 155, but 147 is better than just under 145. Oh, and I'm about 6'1" at that weight...in other words, scrawny.

ian, that's about how my dad gets. he's 6'2" and sometimes gets down to 140. scrawny dad city.
he started eating brown rice for breakfast, just forcing it down, and gained 10 pounds in a few weeks. he also started putting avocados on his sandwiches and eating tons of peanut butter.

Hah, so I weighed myself last night before working out....and not only was it water retention, but I was also 2 pounds lighter than the second to last time I had weighed myself. I weighed myself in two different scales, one of which I know for a fact is accurate, and both gave the same results. So now I'm 179lbs.

So yeah, it really was water retention. Too bad I've probably gained about 3 pounds, since I drank (and consequentely, ate) a lot.

Damn that José Cuervo...

alex: it is a 'healthy' fat meaning, it's not hydrogenated (a trans fat) and meaning that it's a natural fat, so it is more digestible. BUT if you eat more than you need as far as fat and calories go, your body will still store it, and it also depends on the quality of the other things you eat.

as far as weighing goes, you should weigh yourself at the same time of day when you do, since water retention can be a bitch, and not weigh yourself every day. it's compulsive to do that, and it's only going to be aggravating. probably once or twice a week is enough, say, in the morning right when you get up.

also, this website shows a really neat demonstration of how fat, calories, etc work:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question670.htm

i've never vomited from alcohol ever. even when i took xanax and drank, and even when i had two bottles of mad dog 20/20 and accidentally took three times the dosage of my medication in college. woops.
i am the anti-puker.
i also don't really get hung over. the next day i feel tired, but i don't look like the rest of y'all.

Man, I realized how big a dork I am when the_preppy said "a trans fat" (as opposed to a cis fat) and I knew exactly what she was talking about. Biochemically, they don't pack down as well and are more chemically stable, meaning it requires more energy for them to be broken down, so they simply dwell in your body as the more energy efficient alternatives are utilized. Though I'm sure most of you know, keeping well hydrated is often the easiest way to effect small weight loss, merely because it keeps your digestive tract running clean.