How to get a good drum sound..

kylendm

Apr 18, 2010
NJ
Lately I've been getting a half decent tone from guitars and bass but I've been wondering how you guys get such great sounds from your Edrum kits and all that.

I've tried two now. I bought BFD2 about a year ago and I really like the interface. For a while I was using some preset I found in their forum but I would really like to know how to get a good sound from these kits. I also bought Superior Drummer 2 because I heard it had some great sounds as well but I just really didn't like the interface it came with.

I know about mixing, such as panning what piece to go where but I just don't know where to start in getting a good sound from a kit. Most of the stock ones are not good for metal at all and I don't know what to look for or when to EQ, Compress, Filter.

Anyone want to help me out. :/

Sorry, can't help you, but I must compliment your most recent k88 clip. It sounds amazing.

Thanks Bro.

Yeah the drums were from a preset I found and is no longer there. I EQed it differently and added my own taste but I can never get that sound again.

if you want to get a good drum sound out of virtual drum instruments you will need to bounce each track out into your DAW and process them separately. i find that i need tons of corrective EQ with superior. using the ambient mics also helps to make things sound really big and real.

Yeah I have gotten each kit piece to their on track in Sonar but what do I look for when picking the kit pieces? For example there's a bunch of different kick drums but I can't tell what kick will work best for a tight sudden kick (trigger like) like you'd find in most Death/metal bands.

all of them can fit, just play with the transients, kill the decay for the fast shit. There's an awesome reference on the FAQ's though. Go there before the shitstorm starts.