How to get Dimebag sound!

Are you sure? This rig was apparently spec'd by Dime's guitar tech in 2000. I'd be shocked if Dime didn't use his fucking SIGNATURE AMP for heavy tones live! :rolleyes:
My info is from a more recent interview with Grady Champion. He WAS Dime's guitar tech from Cowboys until the very end. He stepped down when Pantera ended. Grady knew Dime's rig better than Dime did. The only reason they put that Warhead rig in the Magazine was because Dime was contracted to endorse it. Same reason he had to have them on stage. But, nowadays, Grady can tell you the truth. I'll see if I can dig up the magazine that the article is in. I know it's a Guitar World from not too long ago, with Dime on the cover and interviews with Grady, Vinnie, and a long interview with Rita.

**RE-EDIT: Sorry... looks like it was actually the March 2008 issue.

What's a Century 200? And I loathe Dime's tone, by the way, but that's probably because I don't like Pantera either and thus never got used to it

What's a Century 200? And I loathe Dime's tone, by the way, but that's probably because I don't like Pantera either and thus never got used to it

It's a Randall head from LOOONG AGO.

That's okay. It's his chops and his outlook on life and guitar that I respect. Same with Randy Rhoads. I hated Randy's tone. Those Altec Lansing speakers were garbage. But Randy was Randy and Dime was Dime and Jimi was Jimi. Gods who walked among us men for too short a time.

:kickass:The amount of time I have spent attempting to get Dime's tone is crazy. I went to 9 Pantera concerts. Dime was on fire (and so was his tone) every single time I saw him. I saw Megadeth a bunch of times too, sometimes great tone, sometimes not.

I got one of the picks dime threw out at a show, and took it home and practiced with it till it was dust. Pantera ruled:kickass:

As said before he played old as hell solid state randalls that you can pick up for pocket change now. I don't suggests doing this to any body.

My suggestion is to start cutting freq's after the preamp stage around 500 Hz. Play around with exact Freq, Q bandwith, and decibal reduction settings. Then just try to find a tone you think is cool for your playing.

My info is from a more recent interview with Grady Champion. He WAS Dime's guitar tech from Cowboys until the very end. He stepped down when Pantera ended. Grady knew Dime's rig better than Dime did. The only reason they put that Warhead rig in the Magazine was because Dime was contracted to endorse it. Same reason he had to have them on stage. But, nowadays, Grady can tell you the truth. I'll see if I can dig up the magazine that the article is in. I know it's a Guitar World from not too long ago, with Dime on the cover and interviews with Grady, Vinnie, and a long interview with Rita.

Yep I've read the same interview with Grady, explains how he always played with a flanger-phaser doubling his sound all the time etc

Awesome, great info to know, thanks and that's crazy!!

In 1999 I tried out a Randall Warhead with the EQ option in it, with a Dime 333 Washburn plugged in and I have to say, no matter how I dialled the amp, it sounded NOTHING like Dime's tone. Not even close, and it also sounded horrible. I'm very good at playing Pantera stuff as I obsessively studied Dime's technique during the 90s and idolized him as much as Van Halen, Petrucci, or Vai (my other big heroes.)

Like many guitarists who came up through the 90s, I had decided that Dime's tone was the best tone, and that the way to get his tone must be to use the same gear. I was ready to make an investment, but I was so disappointed with the rig when I tried it out that I bought exactly zero pieces of gear associated with Dimebag (although I do still want to get a whammy pedal at some point.)

Eventually after using a lot of digital stuff I have ended up becoming a tube amp guy, and realizing that Dime's tone was great mainly because of Dime's playing. The gain he got on the Randall was very articulate, but not very full-voiced, and when you compare Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power" to Arch Enemy's "Doomsday Machine" for example, you realize how far articulate, full-bodied metal guitar tone has come since then.

My friend is a recording engineer so he hooks me up with plugs ect... i only bought Nuendo.

But yea as a college student i dont have enough money for rent, books, food, gas to be wasting on professional equipment.

I have a Marshall Half stack and it serves it purposes out giging but not much in recording :(

My friend is a recording engineer so he hooks me up with plugs ect... i only bought Nuendo.

But yea as a college student i dont have enough money for rent, books, food, gas to be wasting on professional equipment.

I have a Marshall Half stack and it serves it purposes out giging but not much in recording :(

so if he's a friend, why are you telling everyone that he supplies you with illegal software?
I wouldn't do that to a friend.

why did you buy nuendo 3.2 (I guess it's just a coincidence that 3.2 is the last version H2O cracked) when Cubase is so much cheaper but does the same for you?

nobody has money, I (like many others here) have to struggle to pay the monthly rent and insurances etc....still we pay hundreds or even thousands of bucks for our software.

i havent properely read through the thread, but didnt see anyone else posting this image, that i think was posted on here a while back, showing dimes amp rig from back in the day

dimecloseup19yz.jpg

Funny how many people try and use this same line like it makes it all better. "My friend gave them to me and I'm broke". Like that for some reason this makes it ok. Yea and Lasse just closed the coffin with the Nuendo thing. :lol:

Alright, I have to make a small interjection here - I know it's morally the right thing to do to buy software, and I'm planning on scrapping all of my VERY OLD & OUTDATED pirated software that I'm using now (Cubase SX 2, the original Battery) and going all legit once I get my new computer and recording stuff later this summer. That being said, I can totally relate to wanting to be able to make music without spending a metric fuckton of money on it. Yes, it's the right thing to do to support the companies, but I have to wonder - why do people always get so incredibly preachy when this topic comes up? Perhaps because they're bitter about being thousands of bills in the hole because of their morality? Just a thought, I still totally support buying your software once you really decide you want to pursue recording (either as a hobby or a profession), but I've turned a lot of my friends on to recording by giving them my H20'd copy of SX 2 (FROM 2003, come on) so they can see if they like it without forking out even $100, and I don't lose sleep over it (however, now that I know about Reaper, that's what I always tell people to go for, so I'm a changed man!)

I'll admit that when we were using Cubase SX3 and Wavelab at the studio. I got the H2O versions of both for a while. But, I only used those versions to play around with them at home, and get more familiar with them. Once we went Pro Tools, I had to get LE at home. Regardless I never used the H2O stuff to make any money.

Regardless I never used the H2O stuff to make any money.

Exactly - to clarify, I've never once made a cent off of anything I've done with my pirated stuff, it's all been recording my own music or doing stuff for my friends free of charge for the sake of experience. Actually, we did mix my last band's demo (in May 2007) with some cracked stuff, and sold maybe 15 CD's at our last show for $3, but at least we were using a legit PTLE, and this was before I started reading and posting here religiously and became reborn :)

Right.

That said... Shouldn't we be saying this stuff in it's own thread. I mean, this one IS supposed to be about Dime's Tone... and I don't think having even a Sticky about everyone's opinions on Cracked Software would be a bad idea either. Just thinking out loud here.

i havent properely read through the thread, but didnt see anyone else posting this image, that i think was posted on here a while back, showing dimes amp rig from back in the day

dimecloseup19yz.jpg

Yeah there was a vid on youtube of some guy playing through one of those things and it was fucking awesome, closest ive heard to Dimes tone, esp with a wailing wah on top :p Really hard to get hold of however :(