How to get Dimebag sound!

First off, and most importantly, don't take this as an attack...
Now, ask yourself why guys like Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai, and EVH himself have all openly claimed Dimebag to be one of the greatest guitarist that ever lived. There is no exaggeration here either. They ALL believe that, as do countless other icons among Rock, Metal, and Shred guitar. Do me a favor... Go and learn the lead section to "Psycho Holiday" and let's see if you or even anyone you personally know can nail that solo (nuances and all), much less write it. And give me one good reason to think that solo in "Domination" is "mostly pentatonic".

Also, solo breaks without backing guitar were not a signature Pantera thing. Power Trios have been doing it for decades, ie- Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and several thrash/metal bands like Forced Entry (highly underrated band), Sadus, and many others. I didn't like everything Pantera or Dime did, but there is no denying the simple fact that he was the greatest thing to happen to Metal guitar since Randy Rhoads, and that's putting it MILDLY. -END RANT

+1 :kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:

Oy...people always seem to jump on the tired old knee-jerk "it's not cuz he's technical, it's cuz he plays with feeling" response whenever I say I don't like a player/band, even though I made no mention of technicality (except to actually praise Dime's abilities, specifically his vibrato). So Tommy, respectfully, challenging me to learn one of his solos is totally irrelevant, because I made no comment about them being "too easy" or something to that effect. As for being able to write something "better," (however one defines that) personally I think I can and have, but I definitely don't want this to get personal so please no listening to my music if your intent is to rip on me for it. Also, busting out the bandwagon argument by listing a bunch of people who said Dime was great and implying that therefore I should think so too is hardly valid (and I actually have never found Randy Rhoads to be that incredible either; I much prefer the solos and style of EVH, George Lynch, and Neal Schon, to name a few from that era).

Anyway, all this, of course, is entirely an opinion, and I recognize that feelings to the contrary are just as much opinions, so I certainly don't wanna press this issue or anything. And I just listened to the Domination solo, and you're right, it's definitely not pentatonic - it still doesn't really do it for me that much, but it's pretty freakin' cool and technically undeniable. And I can see how this could've been misinterpreted, but when I said the soloing with no rhythm guitar track under was a "signature Pantera thing," I didn't mean that they invented it, but rather that it's something they very often do, meaning it's a signature part of their sound (as I understand it, I've heard maybe 7 or 8 Pantera songs in my life). Honestly, I think having a rhythm guitar track under would probably heighten my enjoyment of Dime's soloing a lot - oh well, too late now! :loco:

but there is no denying the simple fact that he was the greatest thing to happen to Metal guitar since Randy Rhoads, and that's putting it MILDLY.

And sorry, I deny both of these things, but as said above (and as should be obvious), that's just my personal feeling. :)

So I was never a big Pantera or Dime fan, finding him to be a boring, slightly-more-talented-than-average bluesy classic-rock-esque metal guitarist (much like Zakk Wylde), but I read on wikipedia that "Floods" is supposed to be one of his best solos ever, so I checked it out on youtube, hoping to have my stereotype challenged...which didn't happen. I honestly don't see what everyone has such a boner over this solo for; the intro part where he plays the arpeggio is pretty cool, I guess, but then it's like "pentatonic lick over and over, different pentatonic lick over and over, harmonizer, weird slightly out of key bend, etc." Also, I HATE solos with only the bass under them, it feels so annoyingly empty; it may be a "signature Pantera sound," but IMO it was a poor choice for them to establish that sound in the first place. I like the "No More Tears" solo way more than this (but that's speaking relatively, see above for my feelings on Zakk Wylde). I will admit that Dime has great vibrato and can't be faulted technically, but I generally don't care for this predominately pentatonic style of soloing at all. END RANT.

Dimebag was mostly using E Minor(Aeolic?) with the occassional Major 3rd intervall ontop of that, and Diminished & Dominant 7ths.
And dont forget the use of playing the same frets over all strings, example:
E:------------------------------------------0-2-3-5
B:---------------------------------0-2-3-5
G:-------------------------0-2-3-5
D:-----------------0-2-3-5
A:---------0-2-3-5
E:0-2-3-5

And i have never heard of another guitarist that actually could do a real slide without a slide. ;X

So no offence, but learn more about the guitarist youre talking about before speaking like this.
I dont care if you like him or not, but you are so majorly wrong in what you just wrote that its really annoying.

Edit:

I forgot to say that he actually was know to be an unorthodox guitarist, while you seem to see him like a guitarist that sounded just like everyone else.
And I hope you understod that im not mad or anything.

You're right, I'm not qualified to make generalizations about him from what little I've heard, so I apologize for that and take the last part of the above quote back. However, while the majority of the floods solo is in a minor key (and it's aeolian, by the way), it still to me has a very pentatonic/blues-scale vibe with the chromatics and the general feel. What can I say, it's not a solo that does anything for me, but I apologize for my overly specific blanket statements about him as a player.

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind

Wow, generous :lol:

I could do it but its like 500$ in time and 50 in parts :zombie:

Really? I dunno, after all Jeff's (JBroll's) ranting about how parts for tube screamers and such are ridiculously cheap, I figured all these would be also; I guess not all electronic circuits use massively cheap and readily available parts, which shows how much I know about 'em!

Really? I dunno, after all Jeff's (JBroll's) ranting about how parts for tube screamers and such are ridiculously cheap, I figured all these would be also; I guess not all electronic circuits use massively cheap and readily available parts, which shows how much I know about 'em!

Dude if I give this shit a try and its cheap to build and fun.... who knows I might be able to churn out a couple more. This is not a promise, lemme see how this works out :saint:

'Slaughtered' wins.

Dime's style is so difficult to replicate. His bends and vibrato in riffs like 5 minutes alone and clash with reality respectively turn easy-ish riffs into extremely difficult... (to nail exactly)

And the fact he tuned a quarter tone down makes it even more difficult/annoying to attempt to do so!