How to get started on keyboards if already a piano player?

honest.abe

New Metal Member
Sep 22, 2011
Hi all,
When I was nine I was pretty much forced into learning classical piano, but now that I don't have to play that stuff anymore I wanted to get into keyboards/synths particularly for metal. I'm a fairly decent pianist, but I'm not sure of the differences between both instruments. Does anybody have any advice on how to start and what equipment to get? Preferably cheaper, I'm 17 and I don't have much money.

Thanks

I took lessons for 11 years and my first "real" keyboard was a Yamaha YPG-625. It was more of a digital piano than a keyboard, 88 weighted keys. It was a bitch to carry around to say the least but I like the feel of a real piano. I used that for about 5 years (still have it) but since songwriting has always been my focus (plugging my band ORCumentary) a few months ago I got a Roland Juno GI (highly recommended but wykkyd xpensive).

Synths don't have weighted keys, so since you've been using weighted keys for 9 years it should be easy. And (obviously) you can't switch between voices on a piano. You can play complete songs using just a piano (or a piano voice), but a lot of voices on keyboards don't really "stand on their own" and work better when accompanied by other instruments. As indicated above, I don't have a ton of experience with "synths" but Roland and Korg are some of the more popular synth brands in metal. I'm sure there are some good starter synths you can get for cheap.

Hi all,
When I was nine I was pretty much forced into learning classical piano, but now that I don't have to play that stuff anymore I wanted to get into keyboards/synths particularly for metal. I'm a fairly decent pianist, but I'm not sure of the differences between both instruments. Does anybody have any advice on how to start and what equipment to get? Preferably cheaper, I'm 17 and I don't have much money.

Thanks

I can't honestly help you because I am a guitarist, but I am an older guy (I'm 81.... no... not f*cking really THAT old !!) and I can tell you that after you find you a keyboard and start playing, don't forget about that piano.
I am still a metal-head and play 98% metal, but I had an acoustic guitar as a teen and completely gave it up for electric. Now I am into progressive metal and want to make cool acoustic parts for songs as well as electric parts and although I am reasonably happy with my skills on acoustic, I am sure I would be MUCH better if I wouldn't have just ignored the acoustic guitar for all of those "thrash years."
No matter what style of metal you listen to/play, I bet you could still incorporate some acoustic piano into it. Unless you play oldschool punk music, musical training is ALWAYS a plus.

Bryant

Start off small. Go to a music store, play on a bunch of different keyboards and find one that has sounds you like and a good feel to it. Keyboard amp, pedals, effects, and other controllers can wait - just find a decent workhorse and go from there.

Also, find a band. You can plug in direct to the PA, so all you really need is your instrument, and there's always a shortage of keyboard players.