How to get that lush kick sound? - Soilwork, The Panic Broadcast

æôη

New Metal Member
Apr 11, 2010
Title says it all, I'm trying to get close to a kick sound like this:

I've heard a similar one it on several newer records but that's the only one that comes to mind right now.

I'm mainly looking for EQ, comp etc tips. Feels like this kick has a pretty strong HP filter on, mids are way scooped, so is 200hz...that "splat" kind of sound is pretty sexy...

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a Slate combo to get you started. Make sure you put a disproportionate amount of subs into it, and that it's unglued from the mix. The plastic sounding attack is something the Slate kicks have in abundance, so with enough balancing you should be fine.

I don't imagine there's anything extraordinary you have to do with EQ and comp. Just the usual HP, low-mid cut away, low boost, and high-end tweaking to fit your guitars. Try some light parallel compression in case it isn't 'moving' the mix enough'.

Thanks for your nifty advice!

Make sure you put a disproportionate amount of subs into it, and that it's unglued from the mix.

I don't get this part? For the kick a disproportionate amount of subs? Actually that kick doesn't sound too subby for me, quite the contrary actually...hmm.