HOW TO GET THIS KIND OF DRUM SOUND

patrick1386

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2014
Hi guys , I' m totally in love with the sound of this band called "Stray From the Path", I think they' re produced by Will Putney

Here' s the link to a song :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiTY3Cqwmg

does anyone know how to achieve this "in your face" (supercompressed) punch with the drums?

I'm using SD2 and I know a lot about compression, parallel compression, envelope shaping ecc, I can make my drums sound quite punchy, but I can't reach this "smack" and when I try to push with the compressors, I end up with a big sound, but not punchy enough.

There are also some side problems like the compressors are reacting too much and the snare and kicks rolls are too lowered in volume. D: but when I back off a bit, I lose all the punch that I liked in the single hits...

thanks for any help!

Patrick

Will has the absolute sickest drum sounds. Most of his stuff is natural drums with the drum bus slammed and saturated/distorted from what I know. He's incredible, that's about 90% of it.

i read somewhere (might have been the TAIM "Hate" thread) that he likes to give drums multiple passes through outboard comps.

This is a pretty interesting video, you can spot some things, I'm aware that this isn't Stray but non the less...

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Dude, that studio video is neat! In the vid it all looks pretty ghetto, but in the cool/good/stylish way, recording the drums in the same room as Randy (engineer in the vid). What kind of vocal mic are they using??? Looks like a fuckin i5 to me, haha. Pretty sick though how the record turned out. Drum sound is so huge + the guitars have that gurgeling/filthy tone to them, fuckin love it!

There's no way in hell I could ever record drums in the same room like that. Just way too fucking loud and annoying. How the hell can they even tell what's happening?