How to hold a microphone - yes, your vocalist really needs to see this!

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
A basic guide on how to properly hold a microphone. Every singer in the world is going to despise me for this. Bring your sense of humor.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-QHXtx7XJ0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-QHXtx7XJ0[/ame]

Good points, people should see this.

Personally I could do without the swearing though. I get your frustration since you've probably gone through that stuff (and the stuff from the first videos) hundreds of times. However in the video(s) it comes across as if you are putting on a show. It makes you look like an arrogant know-it-all and unprofessional. Tbh - if I didn't know you from years on this forum - I wouldn't contact you to record at your studio after seeing the videos. (Aside from the fact that I'd come in prepared and well-rehearsed anyway but people on this forum aren't the target group for this video either.) Leave me alone with the grumpy guy. I don't want to be yelled at by someone I pay. You know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong you're absolutely right about all the technical stuff but maybe you could do more educational-type videos.

On a different side note I liked the aspect ratio and the framing on the first videos better. Did you get rid of the anamorphic lens (adapter)? Also the jump cuts from left to right gave it a more lively feel. And if I may add it looks as if you rehearsed the first ones better. I can see you glancing at your notes a couple of times in this one.

Good points, people should see this.

Personally I could do without the swearing though. I get your frustration since you've probably gone through that stuff (and the stuff from the first videos) hundreds of times. However in the video(s) it comes across as if you are putting on a show. It makes you look like an arrogant know-it-all and unprofessional. Tbh - if I didn't know you from years on this forum - I wouldn't contact you to record at your studio after seeing the videos. (Aside from the fact that I'd come in prepared and well-rehearsed anyway but people on this forum aren't the target group for this video either.) Leave me alone with the grumpy guy. I don't want to be yelled at by someone I pay. You know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong you're absolutely write about all the technical stuff but maybe you could do more educational-type videos.

I've made this point before and I still stand by it - I don't think you're doing your business any good with these videos but on the other hand you've also made it clear that you don't rely on it for an income and can pick-and-choose projects so it's not as big a deal.

At this point, I really couldn't give a fuck if it costs me a gig here & there. I'm going to say what's on my mind. Wait till I start doing "honest gear reviews! "

That being said, I shot this one with the Blackmagic pocket cinema camera in Raw. I want to get used to working with it (it's brand new) before I do an anamorphic video.

As for the glances, good eye! I'm running teleprompter software on my laptop & didn't find the best place for it until halfway through.

If you have a tablet there is a teleprompter thingy that you actually put right in front of the lens (it films right through it) so you can look straight in the lens. But that needs some getting used to as well or you can see the eyes of the presenter following the text.

Google/YouTube "DIY Teleprompter". Just found a bunch of tutorials. That'll probably work with a laptop just as well if you can open up the screen a full 180 degrees.

I thought it was pretty damn funny and it still nailed the technical aspects efficiently. I know that sometimes swearing makes it seem like more of a rant than a legitimate thing but I don't feel like that takes anything away if it fits the mood and the goal of the video. Sometimes profanity is good, and it's best to be genuine and be true to your vision for the video. I was hoping you were going to mention guys that hold the mic at an upwards angle and basically sing into the top of it too but I guess that is more of a rap thing (and not as bad as cupping). Good stuff man! :headbang:

Edit : I'd also like to note that this would not drive me away from your studio, if anything it kind of shows a satirical down to earth quality. It also shows you take your work seriously enough to be annoyed with musician's being unprofessional about their technique.