How to make sub drops sound good?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Do you guys do any processing to sub drops? EQ/ compression etc? I can't seem to get them to sound quite right. Also, do you tune them? Seems like some people do and some don't.

Who told you subdrops sounded good?
+1

Since it's very low frequency material you might want to check on a subwoofer if it's not overpowering the bass too much. Also keep in mind that too much low frequency energy might prevent the master too be as loud as it could be. I would generally just highcut at 300 hz and if needed compress it with a short release to make the sustain longer. But it's all about leveling me for really.

I found if you split the mixed track into two tracks, one being 0-90hz and the other 90-(whatever)khz and have the 0-90hz track sidechained to the sub drop it sounds pretty good. If you set the attack and release time to the compressor right it ducks the low end just for a second for the sub to come in. I'd recommend a linear phase eq for it.

Since it's very low frequency material you might want to check on a subwoofer if it's not overpowering the bass too much. Also keep in mind that too much low frequency energy might prevent the master too be as loud as it could be. I would generally just highcut at 300 hz and if needed compress it with a short release to make the sustain longer. But it's all about leveling me for really.

+1

delete-key1.jpg

But seriously, isn't everyone tired of sub drops by now?

Obviously you need to tune them so they fit the key. If you need them that bad, PM this guy and he will make one for you of any length and pitch. I've said it before in many identical threads, treat the stupid thing like an instrument and automate around it for hugeness and for the love of god watch your levels.

When I dealt with sub drops the first thing I'd do is automate the volume/decay to suit the track... so many tracks where the drop just lingers like a bad fart...

Here's a few sub drops/bassdrops/808's/BOOM BOOM POWS! I made.
There's a mediafire download link for them in the video description.

Last edited by a moderator: