how to plug brent averill 312a pre (lunchbox) in firepod !!

galetto

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2007
france
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I just bought a pair of Brent Averill 312 pres, racked into an API lunchbox.
My sound card is a Presonus Firepod, and I use two "XLR to jack" cables to plug the pres into it.
I have two options then :
- I can plug the cables in the front +6db line inputs
or
- I can plug the cables in the rear line inputs
The problem is that it seems that I can't get a lot of input signal when recording : it sounds like the signal saturates once a certain level is reached. However the front inputs give me the higher levels.
I think that the Firepod is acting on the signal in a wrong way in both cases.
How can I solve this problem ? It's a bit frustrating.
Thanks a lot !
galetto is online now Reply With Quote

Are you using balanced 1/4" cables? The output on api 312's (are the BA's different?) is generally pretty sick and often need to be padded so it seems crazy you aren't getting enough level.

not to be a dick(but i'll sound like one anyways...), but what the fuck are people doing spending that much money on shit, when they don't know how to use a line output/input?

Well dude, the Brent Averill stuff kicks ass, from what I've heard...but the Firepod is another story (relatively speaking)

thx for reply

today i found what is the problem
the problem is the firepod !!

i try to plug my stuff on the firebox of my brother and it works perfectly
i don't understand what happened to my sound card it's near 4 month old
everything else on my firepod seems to work ok

anybody had that kind of problem yet ?

otherwise
i'm drummer and that's why i need the 8 pre of the firepod
i expect to buy a better device but to do better that firepods convertion
i' must pay a big price i think...

When you invest in new material, you have to begin somewhere, so I can't really see where is the problem with this guy using a firepod with Brent Averill pres. I'm sure that if he had the money he'd buy a better device, but to get a pair of good pres is great to begin with high end gear. Stop bashing for nothing and help him if you can !
The problem should be the Firepod inputs limiting the signal coming from the lunchbox. Sounds like the Firepod does not have the matching inputs to connect a lunchbox to it.

I would just request that we stop calling the firepod a "device" and refer to it as an "interface," which, besides being the correct term, is a lot less generic...also, on the topic of the killer pre into the not-so-killer INTERFACE, the issue to me is that I'd imagine it's harder to really notice a difference a good pre makes when your converters are sub-par

Yes that's real, but the difference isn't subtle, a great pre will still sound a lot better with poor converters (I did use a MOTU 828 and API pres a long time, and the difference is very audible, but you're right great converters will let you hear all the hugeness of great pres)