how to reamp with kemper

Thanks a LOT, man! I didnt think in the headphones output possibility. I'll try with a eleven rack and kemper of a friend to simulate this option. Thank you again!

Okay,

I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, very similar:

In your Focusrite mixer window you need to do the following...

Where is says "SPDIF OUTPUT 1" You need so select a DAW output such as "DAW 7", then in Cubase, you need to set the output of your DI track to that same DAW output

Ok, another newb enters the thread :).

I also have a saffire (pro 24) and use cubase.
The part I didn't get is "set the output of your DI track to the same DAW output". How exactly you do that? When setting outputs in cubase's VST connections there's supposed to be a "DAW 7" option?

Ok, another newb enters the thread :).

I also have a saffire (pro 24) and use cubase.
The part I didn't get is "set the output of your DI track to the same DAW output". How exactly you do that? When setting outputs in cubase's VST connections there's supposed to be a "DAW 7" option?

Should be 'Output 7' in Cubase, not 'DAW 7' :) At least in Logic that works for me, shouldn't work differently in Cubase.

The DAW outputs in the Saffire MixControl are the same as the output sections in your DAW, if set up correctly in MixControl offcourse :)

Should be 'Output 7' in Cubase, not 'DAW 7' :) At least in Logic that works for me, shouldn't work differently in Cubase.

The DAW outputs in the Saffire MixControl are the same as the output sections in your DAW, if set up correctly in MixControl offcourse :)

Here are the choices I have in cubase:

vstconn.jpg

I don't think any of these correspond to the "DAWs" in saffire mix control but to the actual physical inputs and outputs on the saffire. Am I doing something wrong?

Set it to SPDIF L, run your DI track to that one.

Yes, that is what I'm doing, the problem I have is I can't monitor the return signal from the kemper. I can record it and then listen to it, but if I try to listen to it in real time so I can tweak the tone while I'm hearing it I get a terrible feedback sound.
I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong with the routing on saffire mix control and creating a loop somewhere. I see some guys here also have saffire interfaces so if any of you can explain in detail what I should be doing in mix control and cubase it would be very much appreciated.

+1 on this. The Apogee units are fantastic. I have a MOTU 828 for my "main" interface, and just a basic Apogee one that I use for my DI and reamping - the Apogee just destroys the MOTU. I wish I could afford their 8x8 setup.

But this generate me one more doubt. Do I shouldn't to need a reamp box to obtain the highest quality in the process?

Hello! I had already stated my problem in Kemper forum but I want to put here too to see if any guru like JeffTD ;) can shed some light on my problem:

"Lin6 6 UX8 s/pdif reamp... Impossible?

Hello everyone. I searched for information about how to reamp through "spdif" with my Line 6 UX8 but I must be the only one on earth using this interface with KPA . I'll try to explain my problem as best as possible, English is not my native language.

Well, I connect the specific optical "RCA" audio cable ( good cables and both functional ) : " UX8 out > KPA in / / KPA Out> UX8 in". In Cubase add a mono track with a "DI" and select the Stereo Out ( the " UX8 " is not necessary to select any " s / pdif " out option because when you connect the "RCA" cables, change the output automatically) and " KPA " select " s / pdif Input" . I put headphones on " KPA " and I hear how the "DI" signal arrives. The problem comes now . The reamplified signal doesn´t reach to " UX8 " and I don´t know if the problem is " KPA " or " UX8 ." In " KPA " I have activated the option " SPDIF Out Link" , the volume to 0 dB , "SPDIF Output" in Master Stereo ... I do not know if there's anything else to do in " KPA " . In " UX8 " I have the Input 1 and Input 2 to " S / PDIF " but beside these there is a signal indicator doesn´t light, so I conclude that I do not receive any signal . I tried changing the "Clock Source " from "internal" to " SPDIF " but is not synchronized with the " KPA " (the mute button LED indicator flashes 3 times , which means it doesn´t see any external clock source ) . I do not know what else I can do , I'm desperate. Ask me if you need to know anything more. Any help would be greatly welcomed and appreciated. THANKS!"

Hello! I had already stated my problem in Kemper forum but I want to put here too to see if any guru like JeffTD ;) can shed some light on my problem:

"Lin6 6 UX8 s/pdif reamp... Impossible?

Hello everyone. I searched for information about how to reamp through "spdif" with my Line 6 UX8 but I must be the only one on earth using this interface with KPA . I'll try to explain my problem as best as possible, English is not my native language.

Well, I connect the specific optical "RCA" audio cable ( good cables and both functional ) : " UX8 out > KPA in / / KPA Out> UX8 in". In Cubase add a mono track with a "DI" and select the Stereo Out ( the " UX8 " is not necessary to select any " s / pdif " out option because when you connect the "RCA" cables, change the output automatically) and " KPA " select " s / pdif Input" . I put headphones on " KPA " and I hear how the "DI" signal arrives. The problem comes now . The reamplified signal doesn´t reach to " UX8 " and I don´t know if the problem is " KPA " or " UX8 ." In " KPA " I have activated the option " SPDIF Out Link" , the volume to 0 dB , "SPDIF Output" in Master Stereo ... I do not know if there's anything else to do in " KPA " . In " UX8 " I have the Input 1 and Input 2 to " S / PDIF " but beside these there is a signal indicator doesn´t light, so I conclude that I do not receive any signal . I tried changing the "Clock Source " from "internal" to " SPDIF " but is not synchronized with the " KPA " (the mute button LED indicator flashes 3 times , which means it doesn´t see any external clock source ) . I do not know what else I can do , I'm desperate. Ask me if you need to know anything more. Any help would be greatly welcomed and appreciated. THANKS!"

Are you using SPDIF cables or RCA? I had signal problems while using bad rca cables.

Well, after breathing several times and think through all the possibilities of connection, I have solved the problem. The "UX8" converts outputs 1 and 2 in digital outputs when it detect SPDIF cables. Those outputs are the main outputs where the monitors are connected, because of that a loop and a horrible beep was producing when monitoring in Cubase.

But now another question arises me. When I reamp in analog, my chain is DI> OD808> Kemper. Is there any way to put a OD808 before Kemper while I reamp by SPDIF or I can just use the emulated stomps by kemper (I'm afraid the question is absurd, but I want to be sure)? Thanks!

Well, after breathing several times and think through all the possibilities of connection, I have solved the problem. The "UX8" converts outputs 1 and 2 in digital outputs when it detect SPDIF cables. Those outputs are the main outputs where the monitors are connected, because of that a loop and a horrible beep was producing when monitoring in Cubase.

But now another question arises me. When I reamp in analog, my chain is DI> OD808> Kemper. Is there any way to put a OD808 before Kemper while I reamp by SPDIF or I can just use the emulated stomps by kemper (I'm afraid the question is absurd, but I want to be sure)? Thanks!

Yes you can!
Just add it as an external fx to the KPA, then activate it like a stomp =)

Yes you can!
Just add it as an external fx to the KPA, then activate it like a stomp =)

Thanks a lot for answer me, man! Due to my poor english I'm afraid to do something wrong that could fuck up my Kemper. Do you think you could tell me how can I do that step by step like I was stupid (which is sometimes true lol)?

Thanks again for your help!

1/4" out from your interface --> 808 --> Whatever input you're using for reamping on the Kemper. You could also a VST on the DI track in Cubase, or one of the distortion stomps in the Kemper.