HOW TO Remove Snare in Overheads

theboybc

Nov 19, 2012
hi guys

i wonder if you're able to help me with this.

i've got a few tracks now and even if i mute the snare track completely then there is still way too much snare in the track.

is there some kind of EQ or Compression that could help?

:loco::loco:

Limiter set to the fastest attack time works well for me. Waves L1 seems to be the one I keep coming back to for this. I find it easier to set the limiter when listening to a loud section of toms or hard cymbal hits. I want no gain reduction on anything but the snare.

Of course sidechain compression will also work, as mentioned earlier.

\m/ \m/

you can also try ducking the centre channel depending on how balanced they are, or using a sidechain to c6 if you only want to pull out the most prominent snare regions

yay, let's kill every last bit of the actual performance so we can replace it with a generic sample, yaaay

Last edited by a moderator:
It's extremely uncanny to be in such a situation. How would bleed/ambiance alone cause the snare to pop out so much?

My advice to you is to start from scratch.

Why exactly do you want to remove the snare from the overheads? Did you record the drums or are you just trying to mix some drums that someone recorded badly? You really shouldn't have to do that. It's all in there together.

sidechained compression with pre-attack-time (reacomp for example).
sidechain from the snare-close-mic, pre-attack to ~1ms, attack 0, short release to kill only the transient but high enough to get no pumping, high ratio (~8:1), threshold set to taste (make sure to adjust it in the mix, not solo-overheads!!!)
pre-attack is really the key here. even the fastest attacks on all comps i've tried aren't fast enough.
if your compressor dosen't have a pre-attack-parameter, copy the snare-close-mic-track, shift it 1ms forward and use this track only to trigger your OH-compressor via sidechain.

and make sure to kill some annoying snare-resonances in the OHs with an eq first, but don't ruin your cymbal-sounds...!

sidechained compression with pre-attack-time (reacomp for example).
sidechain from the snare-close-mic, pre-attack to ~1ms, attack 0, short release to kill only the transient but high enough to get no pumping, high ratio (~8:1), threshold set to taste (make sure to adjust it in the mix, not solo-overheads!!!)
pre-attack is really the key here. even the fastest attacks on all comps i've tried aren't fast enough.
if your compressor dosen't have a pre-attack-parameter, copy the snare-close-mic-track, shift it 1ms forward and use this track only to trigger your OH-compressor via sidechain.

and make sure to kill some annoying snare-resonances in the OHs with an eq first, but don't ruin your cymbal-sounds...!

+134321 great advices. If all of this fails to remove a good amount of snare in your ohs then there was probably a major fuck during tracking stage.

I'm sure that the snare won't be too loud in the overhead tracks.

I strongly advice you to think about the overhead tracks as mic'ing up the whole drumkit rather than just capturing the overheads. That's the way it should be if you ask me. That way you'll get a natural warm sound instead of a sterile programmed drum sound. Just try it out. Start with the overhead tracks and pan them nicely and EQ them to sound like it's the whole kit with all mics. Then if you feel like some of the drums need more focus start adding volume to kick, snare and tom tracks.

If the case is that the room you recorded in sounds bad then I don't think you'll do much with the OH tracks but if you want to limit the snare drum then Waves L2 does the trick. :)

HOW TO get a better and more natural snare sound by NOT removing it from your overheads

1. Don't destroy the cymbals with some weird super-fast compressor choking the life out of them
2. Realize that a lot of vital top end of the snare (and the toms) comes from the overheads
3. Victory cigar!

yay, let's kill every last bit of the actual performance so we can replace it with a generic sample, yaaay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M17aG_Po2Y

As an AE I'd like to know the best tools for every task. I can't count on the times that I've received some tracks that were poorly recorded with WAY too much snare (the ugly ringy detuned cheap one). So it's not always to replace 100 % or hide actual performances.

Learn your tools because you never know when you are gonna need them ;)