How to sing like Alexi?

Styg man, your exact words were something like "don't worry if it hurts, keep doing it". Duh... the #1 rule that all singers (who are still singing at least) learn is "IF IT HURTS, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG". I'm not making this up. You've broken the most important and basic rule and are trying to tell me your way is right? You say it doesn't hurt now, which is good, but it shouldn't have ever hurt. And that means your voice is fucked up, but it needs to be fucked up to make the kinda singing you seem to like.

Sorry, diaphragm and stomach are not the same. Your diaphragm is above your stomach and a completely different thing. Saying they are the same is ignorant and dangerous. You have to make an "air dam" with your diaphragm so your air doesn't escape, and as the air slowly escapes from your mouth, you form and project your singing with your throat. A lot of ppl, ESP. when they are growling, force with their stomach and it causes serious problems for your vocals. Pushing with your abdominal muscles is a good way to ruin your voice for a week or two in a minute or two. I've done it before, and I hope I won't ever do it again. With growls, it's very easy to rip muscles and tendons in your body while you're trying to sing/scream. You have to be careful and learn your body.

Ugh... I didn't say scream like a dog, I said try growling like one. Dogs don't scream, humans do. One thing not even most growlers know is that GROWLING ISN'T SCREAMING. Growling can be applied to EVERY type of singing, country, rap, whatever, if you want. Screaming is a seperate thing that is very very bad for your voice but can sound really great (and feel good too). Contrary to most ppl's beliefs again, you cannot growl and scream at the same time without years of practice. I really don't care if you think you're doing it right, because you're not (unless you've had AT LEAST a few years practice). When you scream loud enough your voice sorta breaks apart anyway and it sounds like a growl (here's where your voice starts taking incredible damage). Too bad you can't force screams out for an hour live set. That's why vocalists rarely do big screams live (Bodom is a perfect example, Alexi NEVER does any actual "screams" live, he just does a growl and goes up an octave or so, and yes those are completely diff things). Chris Barnes used to always do huge screams/growls live... and now he sucks and can barely make a death metal voice anymore.

If you remember that growling is not screaming, and that you must not scream but figure out a way to growl and sing at the same time, and then you practice for years, you will be able to sound like Alexi. If you want to sound like Dani Filth, go right ahead and force the most guttural growls you can... that's how Alexi started out with growls, and he sounds great now... but that's cause he melded his singing training from school with his screaming and found a medium that doesn't ruin his voice.

The bottom line is that you have to figure out techniques for yourself. You can't just ask someone to tell you how to do it. Noone can show you how to move your vocal cords. It takes a lot of trial and error, but always remember: if it hurts, stop doing it and try a different way... I can't seem to stress it enough that singing should never hurt.

EDIT: It's disturbing how many ppl appear to believe that alcohol and/or cigarettes can do anything but ruin your voice. The idea that cigarettes could ever help your singing is amusing and a little scary. Smoke = seared and ripped, dry tissue. Alcohol = loose but dry tissue. Alcohol can really loosen up the cords for singing and put you in a great mindset too, but it tends to dry your throat a lot, and you might not even notice if you tear your cords. Smoking is never, ever a good idea... and singers' voices usually aren't just raspy from drugs, it's from their style of singing... you can make your voice sound like whatever you want it to with practice. Btw Alexi has said more than once that he rarely gets grunk before shows anymore... just a drink or two to loosen up (anymore than that usually hinders more than helps).

I don't like the idea of imitating one singer to begin with. I think you should combine all of your influences into a voice you like that works with your music. You don't wanna be a Children of Bodom cover band, do you?

Serge... said:
I don't like the idea of imitating one singer to begin with. I think you should combine all of your influences into a voice you like that works with your music. You don't wanna be a Children of Bodom cover band, do you?

I was gonna say the same thing. Don't just try to sound like Alexi. Use him and others as a guide but don't just try to copy their style.

Listen to ^.

Do not try and be Alexi, its the same with the guitar stuff, i dont understand why people spend several grand trying top sound like him, its stupid, its HIS sound, not yours....

But, if you like it, then i guess i cant change your mind.

I shouldn't dignify this with a response but I'll say this much: the only time I've EVER hurt my voice is doing what you do, back when I first tried singing (like I said, which you ignored). If you're gonna run your mouth be prepared to back it up instead of completely dodging the issue. It's sad that you have to be so petty about this.

Hey, while we're on this topic, I have a concern of my own.

I just recently started singing for my band, and I'm very new to the metal vocals thing. I think I can scream, growl, whatever pretty well, and I don't hurt my throat or my actual vocal chords when I do it, but I have another problem: every time we finish doing a song, my head feels like it's going to split open. I get a very painful feeling in my head after singing, and I don't know how to remedy this. I'm thinking that since I'm so new, I'll learn how to control it or at least get used to it as I go along, but I wish I knew that for sure. Has this ever happened to anyone? Any advice would be appreciated.

alexi is a pretty poor metal vocalist, apart from downfall, which is evil and black metal sounding, hes untrained, so i wouldnt wanna sing like him, being able to do death metal vocals AND have a great clean singing vice would be good

Listen to ^.

Do not try and be Alexi, its the same with the guitar stuff, i dont understand why people spend several grand trying top sound like him, its stupid, its HIS sound, not yours....

But, if you like it, then i guess i cant change your mind.

Even though Alexi's quite untrianed, his growling/screaming is one of the only ones I like it, together with Wednesday 13's, their songs are just pretty boring.

And about the guitarplaying, mostpeople start copying someone else, therefore trying to sound as something they like. I kow I did, and now have my completely own sound. Most people will evolve later.

Even though Alexi's quite untrianed, his growling/screaming is one of the only ones I like it, together with Wednesday 13's, their songs are just pretty boring.

And about the guitarplaying, mostpeople start copying someone else, therefore trying to sound as something they like. I kow I did, and now have my completely own sound. Most people will evolve later.

That post was from almost 4 years ago.

just thourght id point out o you all, the mass use of digital effects alexi uses on his voice.

:D

There is no mass use of digital FX live or recorded.

A bit of verb and some delay. With the occasional special sauce ;)

There is no Rob Zombie or C.O.C. type shit going on.

Stun, great info. Glad to see useful information, which is rare around this place. Also, your opinion on Randy Blythe (Lamb of God)?...he tends to scream for a long time, and a lot and can range from a deep growl up to a roaring scream in the same scream. I've been practicing vocals for a few months (basically what you've stated I've had an idea of), but Jessie Leech from the KSE days and the Singer from Unearth (can't remember his name) is the sound I strive for. I like the Yell/Screaming style.

Ugh, weak....just realized this thread is mad old.

you know i can sing lik alexi just a little bit but i dont wanna... i have my music project and one thing i am telling to my band mambers we can play like cob(you knwo fast solos , very cool riffs) ,but we dont have to (can't) copy them ...for example i hate bullet for my valentine of what the fuck is it called ,they dont play like cob (they cant...to lame for it ) but they LOOKS you know i dont know how to tell you you must download a LIVE video of this band..and you will see...same headBang like alexi you know...i what I will tell you,you must look and you understand....and now to the topic . sing like Aleixi? you must learn how to growling...somde ath metal kind....and than try to sing normally but in little overdrive in your voice...and when you sing where is in text this => , <= you must gave it a little high and growl octave...and..i dont know you mut have "Alexi feeling" :p you knwo he sing it like he sing..somewhere (not very-) deep growl and somewhere just that..mute voice ..you now when you are 17teen yo your voice become more ...Graaaaahal....than like in your 13 years when your voice was something like laaaaaaaaaaaaa ,doo-ree-mii-faaa-soo-laa-sii-dooooooooooo(som freaking heavy emtal for 10 yo kids:p) and than you will sing liek alexi (copy of alexi of course----(it will be embarrassing coz alexi is just One..but yea...whatever)