How to sing like Alexi?

Yngvai X

Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
Hi all,

First time posting here (I usually frequent the SyX forum the most). I've kind of been interested in learning how to sing (scream? hehe) like Alexi does. I'm not really a singer at all (Im a guitarist) but for some of the music I want to write I'd like to include some harsh vocals every now and then so I figured I'd learn how to do em myself. So if anyone knows the right "technique" how to do this (and NOT really fuck up your voice, although Im sure no matter what technique you use it'll eventually deteriorate), help would be appriciated :) thanks!

drink and smoke like an insane. that would help the most I think. :lol:

otherwhise, drinkin wouldn't really help you playing guitar. at least I have my probs with that....

nuff kiddin;
I once heard really it's important to drink a LOT!!!
not alc at all, but drink a lot. I think you dry out screamin pretty fast... I dunno....

I'm helpful, huh? :lol:
anyway, have fun and good luck!!

yoghurt.... Eat a fuckload of yoghurt.

Lubes up the throat, makes it slimey so you dont rip your vocal chords apart

Eat Glass.

Well that's what Howard Jones told us as a joke at the In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Killswitch Engage, and Sentenced concert I went to.

Oh and BodomiC not a "waooordghsgfdg" or whatever you wrote but in the way of the Alexi you gotta give a "YEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW"

Hmm, hard to explain over the internet how to do it, exactly... but first things first, you must understand that your voice is your instrument, and you only get one of them. You must treat it like you would treat a custom guitar signed by both Alexi Laiho and Randy Rhoads ( o_O ). So try to avoid doing anything that would harm your voice if you want to use it (these are just examples that destroy my voice: anything you smoke and inhale, spicy food, coughing a lot, talking a lot, etc.). Also, drink lots and lots of water... and I mean a lot if you want to growl! Yogurt was suggested, I noticed, and this is an excellent idea as well.

Okay, I'll try to explain about growling. All you need to do is growl like a dog, basically. Unfortunately, human vocal cords are not the best suited for making a growl, so when you start, you will sound awful and will most likely have very little range (esp. for higher pitches, unless you are previously acquainted with singing). And besides a lot of time and effort, there's only one other option that makes it sound better: pushing with your 'stomach' to get a beefier sound or higher pitch (I say stomach but it's actually various abdominal muscles, 'stomach' is just easier to say). This is a bad idea, because it rips and scars your vocal cords easily. The smart thing to do is practice until you can comfortably growl a few songs out (without any help from your abdomen... hey that's a way better word than stomach), and only push for the parts that it really helps, like screams. If you do that, you will be singing like Alexi does (sorta). The reason his growls are so effortless is because he so seldom needs to push with his abdomen. Of course you will have to practice a very long time to be able to sing at the pitches he does with that much force.

I almost forgot, but warming up, esp. for growling, is really fucking important. Even if you're only gonna practice for an hour or a half hour, warming up for a similar amount of time is a really smart idea. If you go from 0 to 100% instantly, your vocal cords will clench up and it becomes very easy to damage them. If you ease yourself into singing every time, your voice will become more elastic, durable and powerful far quicker than you expect...

Always remember that singing, no matter if it's screamed or growled or not, should feel good... if it hurts, you're either doing something wong or trying to hard. It should flow from your mouth as smoothly as if you were talking. Just practice and explore your voice, and don't try to imitate other singers too much. Your voice will find it's own grooves to sing with and it's own comfortable range. Trying to sound like your fav singer is fun, but it's nothing compared to the fulfillment and fun you get out of your own style when you begin to refine it and explore your voice's potential.

Well I've outlined everything you need to know about growling, I think. But I can't stress enough that if your voice hurts from singing, stop immeidately, and try something easier. If you destroy your voice you can't buy a new one (well not yet at least). Hopefully this will help you.

Stun said:
I almost forgot, but warming up, esp. for growling, is really fucking important. Even if you're only gonna practice for an hour or a half hour, warming up for a similar amount of time is a really smart idea. If you go from 0 to 100% instantly, your vocal cords will clench up and it becomes very easy to damage them. If you ease yourself into singing every time, your voice will become more elastic, durable and powerful far quicker than you expect...

how d'u usually warm ur voice up, Stun?
Just singing with clean voice or doing some specific exercise?

Alcohol helps loosen the throat sometimes... other times makes it impossible to sing (because of intoxication or otherwise)... sometimes it makes it really easy and a hell of a lot of fun to sing. That's why if you have to sing for something important like a live gig, that ppl are paying to see, you probably shouldn't leave it up to chance (unless of course you know your body and it's reactions to drugs really well). Smoking anything harms your voice, but hash is the worst I know of...

@Tempestadiossa: Both... I usually sing Return to Serenity by Testament, and some Children of Bodom (without growls, try it... it's hilarious... e.g. Warheart, You're Better Off Dead, Hate Crew Deathroll, Hate Me, there are lots of good ones, hell pretty much all of them). But I also do one simple exercise cause everyone tells me it's the best way to warm up your voice. Just vocalize each vowel at a constant rate (start at a monotone... speak, don't sing), and steadily go up and down the limits of the pitch of your voice. So basically you'll sound like an idiot to anyone in earshot, but it will quickly warm up your voice and you will learn the current capabilities of your voice. And if you do this everyday for a while, you will discover that your voice has much more range than it used to... to sing like Alexi you'd need to do something like this at least every day (at least if you're starting out). The great thing about your voice is that it will improve if you put the time and effort into it...

Btw, where have you been Tempesta? I haven't seen you on ICQ in ages.

What about ginger root tea? Tairrie B (the scream queen) drinks it before shows.
I was also wondering about the smoking...many metal vocalists (including Wildchild) smoke quite a lot, and it doesn't seem to affect the power of their screams.

Stun said:
pushing with your 'stomach' to get a beefier sound or higher pitch (I say stomach but it's actually various abdominal muscles, 'stomach' is just easier to say). This is a bad idea, because it rips and scars your vocal cords easily.

Not so.

Using the Diaphragm (the sheet of muscle under the stomach) to growl relieves tension on the vocal chords as the sound is being made in your belly rather than throat.

so basically instead of tensing your vocal chords, try and create the sound with your diaphragm (i can post a picture where it is located for anyone wo enevr studied biology), by sucking in/Pushing the muscle UPards towards your head. Try and growl with your throat, then suck up the diaphragm. You'll notice you can get lower, much easier.