How to sing like Alexi?

I once read some band interview, in which the vocalist said that he has a habit to drink rape-seed oil before and during a gig. It seems to be a good "trick". Though I don't know how it tastes, so...

Morning Star said:
what? if you growl with your throat, your throat will be easily damaged. it's best if you just try and use your all and growl it out.. practise practise and see what is most comfortable for you.. everyone's comfortable rates are different :p

You might think so but if you go all out your voice will be wrote off in 15 minutes and you won't be able to use it for days. When it returns it will be stronger, but it's a waaaay better idea to warm up for like an hour, do 15, 30 minutes of growling, then chill out for a day or two. It's the -exact- same as exercise... you have to push it to the limit to get maximum potential, but if you overdo it you'll regret it (at least your throat will). And your limit is very very low when you're starting out.

In response to the other guy: I said to avoid pushing with your abdomen (not your diaphragm). Since you obviously don't know what the diaphragm is for, or for some reason seem to think it prevides growling ability, let me explain: (I should've explained this before)

The diaphragm is a muscle system beside the lowest ribs. Singers use it to control the breath on the exhale, but it -isn't- what exhales the breath. The abdominal muscles do. The diaphragm prevents all your breath from exhaling at once, which is what your abdominal muscles try to do. The technique for breathing while singing is basically to breathe out slowly, adjusting the amount of breath coming out of your mouth in accordance with what you need at the time. Keeping your abdominal muscle use to a minimum and not forcing strain on anything is a very good idea which will pay off in the long run (esp. if you're growling). The throat/vocal cords, and solely these things, vibrate to provide the growls you want (or clean singing)... the abdomen can be used to create more brutal growls, but it will frequently collapse your diaphragm and you will be completely out of breath (very very bad for live gigs). So the vocal cords are the sound maker, the diaphragm is the sound regulator, and hopefully the abdominal muscles are the seldom-used sound enforcer. Do ya see now?

I'm quoting this to make my life easier. This guy explains it great: "singers must learn to control their diaphragm on exhaling because it is the control of the breath that makes good singing possible. The vocal folds should not have to hold back enormous breath pressure. If vocal folds are required to hold back excessive breath pressure they must press together too tightly to function easily and freely. The vocal folds should have just enough breath pressure against them to maintain their vibratory movement. The breath pressure for singing is always dynamically changing and the control of that change is the duty of the diaphragm. So what you are learning is control, not strength." With what I just said, combined with this, you should have a good idea of what to do to sing.

This isn't about opinion, or how 'everyone is different so don't tell me how to sing' etc etc... here's the bottom line: if you want to wreck your voice in a few years, use your abdomen all ya want. If you want to sing for decades, do it the right way, the way I just showed you. :wave: Hopefully I helped some folks here.

Stun said:
In response to the other guy: I said to avoid pushing with your abdomen (not your diaphragm). Since you obviously don't know what the diaphragm is for, or for some reason seem to think it prevides growling ability, let me explain: (I should've explained this before)

The diaphragm is a muscle system beside the lowest ribs. Singers use it to control the breath on the exhale, but it -isn't- what exhales the breath. The abdominal muscles do. The diaphragm prevents all your breath from exhaling at once, which is what your abdominal muscles try to do. The technique for breathing while singing is basically to breathe out slowly, adjusting the amount of breath coming out of your mouth in accordance with what you need at the time. Keeping your abdominal muscle use to a minimum and not forcing strain on anything is a very good idea which will pay off in the long run (esp. if you're growling). The throat/vocal cords, and solely these things, vibrate to provide the growls you want (or clean singing)... the abdomen can be used to create more brutal growls, but it will frequently collapse your diaphragm and you will be completely out of breath (very very bad for live gigs). So the vocal cords are the sound maker, the diaphragm is the sound regulator, and hopefully the abdominal muscles are the seldom-used sound enforcer. Do ya see now?

I know what a diaphragm is/does.
And i said with control the diaphragm can add an extra element to your growls.