how to whammy like alexi

KTShannon

New Metal Member
Feb 10, 2007
anyone have any good vids? or tips on how to really make your dives and climbs squeel, whenever i try it never gets that intense maybe im just missing out on something

while diving you do a pull of on for example 5th fret, then you place your finger carefully on the 5th fret and make the you know.. ehh harmonic sound thingy and then you pull the pull the bar as much as the strings can handle :) I hope that helped you, and yes I really suck at explaining.

It's actually a natural harmonic. "Squeal" is just a nickname for a "pinch", which is also a nickname for an artificial harmonic.

To get the intense sound that Alexi sometimes gets, you want to get natural harmonics on the G AND B strings at around the 5th fret.

Natural harmonics suck, anyone can do them. Artificial ones are way cooler, COB always use them, especially live, and have a much better squeal.

It's not called dimesquealing...Randy Rhoads did it before...
But, Pull the string and dive down as low and as quickly as possible. Then when you pull the bar back up, tap the string on the fret to do a harmonic, then pull upwards.

You don't have to pull the string, just lower the bar, tap (float the finger on the string) on the G string, third fret works best for me, and to Alexi aswell.

I agree with the 5th fret harmonic, it seems to work the best for me on any string. You could also try pinching beforehand and then push or pull the whammy bar.

Natural harmonics suck, anyone can do them. Artificial ones are way cooler, COB always use them, especially live, and have a much better squeal.

:lol::lol:theyre totally different, and how hard it is doesn't make it better or worse... theyre used in totally different ways

Natural harmonics can be done basically everywhere around the fretboard like said.

Mattias IA Eklundh is a master at natural harmonics imo. The following is taken from his website:

The guitar is divided from the 12:th fret. Every harmonic repeats itself on each side of the fret.
I've constructed a scheme over the natural harmonics hidden in every guitar. The noted positions
are the ones that I use and might vary a bit from instrument to instrument but generally this is it.
Try to find them with your pick and when you feel comfortable with the positions, try to hit the notes
with any finger on your left hand. A vibrato arm is a good tool to make it easier and to prevent ugly
sounds from the pick. Push the vibrato bar down and hit the string while it's slack. Then pull it back to
normal position. The high E-string and sometimes the B-string is a little hard to hit, so the pick might be of use there.

- Matthias IA Eklund

Harmonics on the low E-string
Harmonics on the A-string
Harmonics on the D-string
Harmonics on the G-string
Harmonics on the B-string
Harmonics on the high E-string

and I think the louder you are the meaner they sound but thats just me.