How was Spokane?

LagunaJudgement

Drapery Has Fallen
Mar 1, 2008
Idaho
I wasn't able to go, and I'm hoping the Spokane crowd gave them some good energy and was pretty packed. Was anyone there?

Yes, I was at the show. A decent sized crowd, but quite a bit of space. I'd guesstimate about 500 in a 1500 capacity venue. Very enthusiastic fans though. A great show, and Opeth took their time running through their standard nine-song PN off-date set list. Fred had some sort of technical problem before "In My Time Of Need" that caused a 10-15 minute delay. Axenrot is a fucking machine behind the drum kit. Still getting used to Martin with short hair.

All three bands put on spirited sets. 3 were a bit of a surprise since I'd only previously heard "All That Remains" from the video and didn't know what to expect. A great band and the percussionist added an enjoyable dimension to their sound and visuals. BtBaM were pretty intense -- a 40 minute progressive metalcore opus with nary a song break in sight. Probably enough to harsh your buzz if you're not into that sort of thing, but the crowd ate it up.

We got some iPhone snapshots that I may try to post if I get a chance. The crowd was thin enough that it was easy to get very close to view Opeth, although one had to watch out for the large, sweaty, shirtless, moshing men contingent in the pit. By the time the encore rolled around the crowd had thinned a bit, but were still energetic and loud. Mikael mentioned that even though there were only ~200 left by the end, those that remained were still louder than hell. He was his usual, casual, joking self between songs, commenting how the rest of the band had gotten drunk on cheap alchohol on their previous night off in Spokane, joked how Dream Theater were too old and needed extra nights off so they passed us by, a bit of 'name that tune', etc.

I was really thankful that Opeth have now played two headlining gigs in Spokane in the last two years, despite the smaller crowds. I ended up buying a Watershed t-shirt with tour dates on the back for $25. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. I'd write more, but I'm fairly tired (and need to try to get my energy level back up to see UFO later tonight).

One more thing -- "Heir Apparent" was simply crushing live. The highlight of the set for me (along with "The Drapery Falls" 'cos that's one of my all time favorite Opeth tunes).

Excellent! I drove over to Seattle for ProgNation on Monday, but was out of town for this Thursday gig (even though I'd bought a ticket already!), and I was hoping they had some good support. I want them to come back again, and it worries me that with the crowd thinning out as much as it did, that they might not come back!?
Glad to hear you had a good time. Heir Apparent was indeed awesome in Seattle, I can't wait to hear it again on the album!