How would I go about this?

adirving

New Metal Member
Jun 5, 2008
Oxford, uk
www.dedlok.co.uk
Ok, my band is going to record a album soon and we want to go for a old skool thrash mix (ala megadeth) I understand it was basicaly one guitar left and one guitar right and one straight in the middle, But in my band the other guitarist and I play a lot of harmonized riffing so my question is this, If my other guitarist is playing his harmonized stuff on the left and I'm playing mine on the right what goes down the middle? is it a mixture of both of us or will it be something copying the bass? I understand quad tracking but this is like triple tracking. And I read Dave Mustaine recorded all his albums like this "1 left, 1 Right and 1 straight down the middle."

Generally nothing goes right down the middle as far as rhythm guitars are concerned. Keep it one left, one right, and do overdubs right down the middle (or off to the sides a bit) if you've got leads/fills/extra gtr parts.

Duh! I get it now, Thanks JeffTD. I remember now dave said he played guitar 1 left, 1 Right and the other guy complemented him straight down the middle, Obviously he means Marty Friedman's guitar solo's. I feel like a total noob

What Jeff said.

I tried messing with a rhythm track down the center a few times out of boredom and I strongly advise against it.