HUGE FUCKING DEAL ON A GREAT MIC

haha, me too

MXL, not MXL, ST77, ST79 blahhh

lol so far what im getting is the st79 is the st77 but just a little sweeter? and then somehow the st79 is compared to the mxl4000 (since the st79 is essentially the st77 w a few more options...so its safe to say that we stop talking about the st77 in this thread and focus on the st79 comparisons because this weed isnt gonna wear off for a few hours and my comprehension level is at about 35% plus im actually leaning towards buying this)

where are they pulling that list price from? These are going for 300 new, there's one for 180 on craigslist.

The ST79 is not a MXL 4000 either.. The MXL 4000 is NOT transformer coupled. The MXL 4000 does not have a hifi film cap, the MXL does not have a 8 micron capsule.. As far as clips go, i have one. The ST77 and ST79 are nearly the same inside, one just has a multipattern capsule. Either way, the mic is def not a MXL at all, and kills any MXL.

www.myspace.com/averyrecordstudios

Listen to I'm Knew and My Friends, I used the ST77 on vocals and overheads for I'm Knew and Overheads for My Friends. This mic is amazing for OH, really smooth, not hyped at all. Much better than Rode mics IMO. It also excels as an acoustic guitar mic.

Clips are kinda useless most of the time unless directly compared to something else in the same room. Most good engineers can make any mic sound good so having nothing to compare it to is almost useless. Hope that helps you guys, its a good Mic. I liked it a lot better than my Neumann TLM103. I would compare it with any high end mic ive heard that is a fully discrete FET mic that is transformer coupled.

The ST79 is not a MXL 4000 either.. The MXL 4000 is NOT transformer coupled. The MXL 4000 does not have a hifi film cap, the MXL does not have a 8 micron capsule.. As far as clips go, i have one. The ST77 and ST79 are nearly the same inside, one just has a multipattern capsule. Either way, the mic is def not a MXL at all, and kills any MXL.

Listen to I'm Knew and My Friends, I used the ST77 on vocals and overheads for I'm Knew and Overheads for My Friends. This mic is amazing for OH, really smooth, not hyped at all. Much better than Rode mics IMO. It also excels as an acoustic guitar mic.

Clips are kinda useless most of the time unless directly compared to something else in the same room. Most good engineers can make any mic sound good so having nothing to compare it to is almost useless. Hope that helps you guys, its a good Mic. I liked it a lot better than my Neumann TLM103. I would compare it with any high end mic ive heard that is a fully discrete FET mic that is transformer coupled.

after listening to that song, im considering getting it.

Wow, this mic is looking good. It seems to be able to do excellent overheads as well as vocals. I think it will do acoustics goo as well. Thanks for the link Ryan and thanks for the tips prslespaul.

read my post smartass, they're going for 300 new on a bunch of sites so no it's not a HUGE FUCKING DEAL and 1200 dollar mics don't go for 180 on craigslist used or not.
Neil, MSRP is $1200. The original sale price was probably around $1000. They are going for under $300 everywhere now b/c they are being closed out. Meaning, the deals only last as long as the stock does.

Hey man,

Song sounds great. Actually, after listening to it, reading this thread, and doing some research... I decided to order one today. I was just wondering - What sort of pre-amp / channel strip (if any) are you running through? I'm new to vocal recording and could really use some suggestions as to my next purchase :)

Thanks!

Hey man,

Song sounds great. Actually, after listening to it, reading this thread, and doing some research... I decided to order one today. I was just wondering - What sort of pre-amp / channel strip (if any) are you running through? I'm new to vocal recording and could really use some suggestions as to my next purchase :)

Thanks!

It says right on the page

"Our main tracking console is a fully discrete, transformer balanced, Yamaha PM2000"

lrn2read pl0x

Thanks Ryan, rub it in. On that particular song, I think i used my Chameleon Labs 7602 Preamp. I would highly suggest a GAP-73 preamp if your on a budget. BTW my console should be here by the end of this week!