Hurricane Sandy Roll Call

Stingray11214

OSA Triumvir
Oct 21, 2005
Folks;

As you know, Hurricane Sandy hammered the Eastern Seaboard of the United States last night. Several members of this Community were affected very greatly last night when the storm hit, and some of them are probably going through some tough days ahead. If you know anyone that were in these areas, please put their names up here. Maybe we know, and maybe we don't. But, at the very least, we are trying to see if they are OK. I know of the following five that were in the path, and I'd like to know if they are OK:

AMBR, AngraRules, AeonicSlumber, MEFlyingV, General Zod.

And, yes, I am OK. My neighborhood in SW Brooklyn dodged a very serious bullet last night. Neighborhoods 2 miles away? Devastated. Coney Island was under 8 feet of water, completely blacked out, and the Landmarked Parachute Jump collapsed.

Again, this is for those in the community looking for fellow members of the community. We may have our differences, but we a still one community.

And, if you are a member of the PPUSA Community that were in the affected areas, please, let us know if you are OK. We care. :)

Thankfully, my area (Fredericksburg, VA) managed to scrape by with just a lot of rain, a bit of wind and a few downed trees. Don't need to go to far north to find some real destruction, though. My power stayed on during the whole time.

Glad you guys came through OK. I know a bunch of folks in the area that sustained varying degrees of damage, but are thankfully all OK.

Sandy is/was one hell of a beastly storm.

Connecticut over here was hit pretty badly, especially the southern portion. Lower Fairfield County and New Haven County took a gigantic hit. Lots of streets under water.

Our town still has about 65% of residents with no power. My family got extremely lucky, however, losing power for only a matter of minutes. Some areas of our town look pretty bad, but we somehow lucked out. I have spoken to a few other people on the forum who live in affected areas (General Zod, Ytsejammer, shaq) and so far everyone seems to be doing ok. I think Zod still had no power as of yesterday, but that was about it for damage.

Glad to hear everyone's ok so far.

AMBR has been located, thanks to St. Enigma. Her family, pets and house made it through, but are still without power.

TY for all the well wishers, and it is good to see that the lot of us made it through. :)

I'm from CT, but luckily I only lost power Monday evening and got it back Tuesday morning. No damage to report.
Cool. It is good to hear. Some parts of NYC won't have power until next week, according to Con Ed. However, it is great to see a lot of people that can get back to some resemblance of normalcy.

Made it through with just a few power flickers. A tree fell in front of our door, but that was it.

Harris the Epic is okay, but from what he tells me his house is gonna need some serious fixing up. :(

My house is a mess, but it could be a lot worse, and at least my loved ones and I are alright,.
Water came up and completely filled my basement like a fishbowl filled with rainwater/sewage/oil. The mess made it to the lower part of the first floor in my house, damaging minimal amounts of very easily replaceable gear. But it also took a lot of irreplaceable items... valuable comic books, pictures, important papers, etc.
Two trees fell within 20 feet of my house, neither of which actually hit us, luckily. Power and digital connection to the world (Internet, phone, tv, etc) will likely come back in maybe a week. I really don't know what the situation is, but LIPA really needs to get to my street soon. And an oil tank from a house around the corner landed in my front yard after the streets turned into a network of rivers that were probably as strong as rapids.
Had I stayed, I would have stayed to see all of this damage first hand.
I'm going to be staying in the empty house owned by my cousins, but they're trying to sell. So they said we can stay there for the time.

That's the short story.

No issues for me either, which after the power outage this summer is a happy thing for me.

The biggest impact for me is that it really puts a hurt in my search for a job, since employers had to play catchup and some didn't have power.

Ok, tonight I am finally able to log on. While I'd like to go on about how brutal it was to endure the storm and five days without power, I feel reluctant because there are so many people around me that have suffered so much more. But, if you'd like to know how it was, here it it:
My husband and I were up in Rutland, VT the weekend before for a Halloween party and parade.Watching the weather reports, I started to think we shouldn't return, but we decided to come home to watch the house and family and hopefully, get a chance to work the following week. FOOLISH.
I will never do that again.
When that storm hit, the noise was like something I have never heard in my life and never want to hear again. It was like a demonic animal ROARING over our heads. Saying it was like a jet or train minimalizes it. This was horrific. I have to confess, I was terrified. I sat in the hall in the center of the house and prayed. It lasted for hours. During the worst of it I hear this immense cracking and crashing right outside our window. I laid on the floor and screamed for my husband. He ran out the door to see what happened. I was screaming at him to come back in, but he disappeared for 5-10 minutes. Not long? Seemed like forever. When he finally fell through the door he told me a HUGE FUCKING ENORMOUS tree fell on my neighbor's property, missing her in the house by about six inches. He had checked on her and she was ok, but we had three more hours of crashing trees, roaring winds and exploding transformers to watch. I NEVER want to do it again. Then...
It's over. And we see the aftermath. Don't even know what to say. Can't possibly relay the pain, suffering and confusion of everyone around us. Days followed of no power, no gas, no information. It's been just chaos. The police just responded to what was critical and left the streets unmanned. We were afraid to stay. We were afraid to leave.
Tonight at approximately 6PM we got electricity after five days. Matt and I had stuff packed in the car and were nearly pulling out of the driveway. We'd had enough. And then the lights came on.
We're here and only lost one car to a crashing tree. So many people lost so much more. I have a few photos to show, but I just got back online and need some time. If you've seen reports on the TV or internet, it's not even close. Just saying. :cry:

Glad to read that some of you east coasters are Ok. I think Rick Pierpont had a little seepage in his basement, and power issues, and Wayniac had some power issues, but I didn't hea/read of any damage, other than trees...

@ HTE: Glad YOU are ok, and sorry to hear of the loss to your personal property. Keep us posted!

@AMBR: Glad you guys are ok, I can't imagine that kind of experience!

AMBR, it is great to see that you are safe and sound. And, the same goes for all on the board who went through hell this past week in Sandy's wake. My house has had family and friends burn the lines and internet to FEMA and other Govt and insurance entities. Southern Brooklyn took a savage beating, my friends.