Hypocrisy guitar tone

Canadian_Steel

New Metal Member
Oct 1, 2008
Ive got the guitar/pick ups figured out. i want an amp that gets as close to Tagtgrens sound without pedals~ anyone got suggestions on what amp to try out?
thanks

Dusty

you gonna get a ESP with EMG's pups yeah?

dude if you wanna sound really well you gotta have a pedal

I have a boss GT8 right now and I couldnt go back lol

so it is your taste, nothing official i guess.
haven't owned a pedal in twenty years and i'm a happy bastard. the pedals i tried just seemed to dirty my tone... guess it depends on the rig you're using.

sorry, its just a matter of taste I guess
and I said 17 years of guitar playing, not 17 years of DEATH METAL GUITAR playing

edit : I re-read my comment and well, you DONT need to have a pedal to sound well, I take that back. But it fucking helps!

i'm sorry. never wanted to offend anyone or start a war here. a pedal can push your sound and has advantages for sure! you can switch between soundsettings and save them and so on, but it is not necessary. i'm getting along without one pretty good.

if you want to sound like peter and the gang, have a look at the official site, i think there is a list with their rig.

This list is....well

it mentions Peter plays Gibson, never seen him with a Gibson b4...

Since 2002 I have always seen him with either an ESP Explorer or an ESP eclipse

ouf course with EMG pups

peter used a gibson les paul custom on the "no mercy" festival with immortal, vader and some other bands in 2002 here in germany. i saw them in berlin back then.
but yes, since then he changed as you said.

peter used a gibson les paul custom on the "no mercy" festival with immortal, vader and some other bands in 2002 here in germany. i saw them in berlin back then.
but yes, since then he changed as you said.

Obviously he flushed both Gibson and Ibanez universe for ESP stuff

Anyway countless metal artists have jumped *insert guitar brand here* for ESP during the last 5 years or so

I know he used Engl Savage 120 on newer stuff like Into The Abyss and Catch 22 and Mesa dual or trip rec on the Abducted album..I think Krank on the 2 most recent albums but not 100% sure. I would like to know what Pickups he uses...

I know he used Engl Savage 120 on newer stuff like Into The Abyss and Catch 22 and Mesa dual or trip rec on the Abducted album..I think Krank on the 2 most recent albums but not 100% sure. I would like to know what Pickups he uses...

No offense but I think this is completely wrong. I have Engl's and they don't sound like that :)

Peter uses a Sansamp PSA-1 on every album since The Final Chapter, before then it was 2 channel Dual rectifiers. You can tell exactly that it's the PSA-1 on Into the Abyss, catch 22, Virus, Self-titled, The Arrival and the new one. With that amp it's fairly good at recording direct and his sound has every characteristic of direct recording with cabinet emulation. Thin trebly tone, no balls (the heaviness on their records is from the bass), tremelo picking sounds like one note instead of the choppiness and thickness of a real tube amp, processed sound (opening chords of Elastic Inverted visions for example) . Listen to the rhythm break part in Apocalyptic Hybrid at 2:05 and there's his tone, then compare that to Virus and Taste of Extreme divinity it's structurally the same thing with different tweaks, they aren't Kranks. Live is a different story as I've seen him use Marshalls on tour in the states, no idea what he'd use live in Europe.

I've used PSA-1 before, they make a rackmount version which I see in his videos of his studio and he also uses it to record Pain guitars. They also have a plug-in version (which isn't as good as the real thing lol) for ProTools that can emulate the same sound he gets.

what's up dude, I"m new here and this is my first post so bear with me.

I was chatting with Lord K of The Project Hate (SWE) and was askin' him about his guitar tone / set-up and I found out a really nice tid-bit of info regarding that infamous 90's Swedish death guitar tone...

It's really quite simple :

DS1 + Boss Metalzone + Down-tuned guitar

The metal-zone alone will sound very trebly and weak on it's on, the DS-1 thickens the tone up a bit and if you tweak the 'tone' setting on the DS-1 it will thicken the high notes for a nice, thick devastating guitar tone.

Run it through the clean channel of any decent tube amp and depending on your guitar, you have a ton of brutal death metal tones at your finger-tips!

I do think that most bad-ass death metal guitarists like Shalin of Anata probably just run their shit straight through a nice high-gain amp.

Hope this helps! :devil:

Old thread, I know, but I had to add to this. A Taste of Extreme Divinity was Tapp Amps modded JCM900 100W Dual Reverb. Mods quoted by Tapp:
Whole Preamp is rebuilt, (all tube), and also add a choke for the high voltage.

* New potentiometers.
* Extra tube.
* All preamptubes are moved to new location.
* New circuit board.