What gear does opeth use (guitar wise) and what amps do you recommend for metal tone?

McG22

New Metal Member
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
i'm looking into buying a new guitar amp and i need some suggestions for an amp (brand and model) that will deliver a good distorted metal tone and will also give me a pretty good clean tone because i switch back and forth a good deal. any suggestions? what do you use, or what would you like to use if you got the chance? what does opeth use?

thanks for the help fellas, i appreciate it.

As for what Opeth uses. On their site (www.Opeth.com) you click on discography and then you click on each album name and there's another menu where you can choose 'equipment'. It's all listed there.

Dear McG22, Just two months ago I bought Laney TFX 300. It
fucking rocks!!! It has destructive 2nd OD channel for both leads and rhytm. Opeth uses Laney at the moment too but I don´t know how they sound compared to mine but the amp of mine
is fucking genious. Very versatile. Clean tone rules too. My recommendations...

i have a 1987 peavey stereo chorus 400 with no pedals or effects or whatnot sounds GREAT clean and with a bit of knob tweaking, has a descent distortion

I use the same amps, Laney GH series, and I can nail the tone. They do use Boss GT-3 pedals for all the guitar sound and the laney is really just a power amp, but the way things are setup the pedal is basically distorting the laney anyway so either way it is damn close. Just more versatility with the pedal.

I wouldn't try to copy their gear though, I had the exact same equipment (but no PRS) and had better luck getting the tone straight from the amp then with the GT-3.

For what you want i'd try a laney vh100 for the two channels. That is the only annoyance with my GH in that I have to roll back the guitar volume to get a better clean tone, and I cant set different eq settings. Same amp though, same distortion and it sounds great for most metal without any help. Could try a peavy 5150 too, gets that melodic death sound perfectly...maybe a peavy XXX as well.

you asked what would I use if I got the chance? Engl Powerball with a Bogner 4x12 = Divine.

I wish I had some money to get an amp.. gj tech raising tuition every semester. Anyways, Opeth uses alot of amps, and I dont know what to tell you really because I dont use a 'real amp.' Listen to the other guys, opeth uses/have used marshalls, peavey 5150's, laneys, engls, and mesa/boogies. Take your pick really. I would have to say dont get a marshall, cause their sound isnt very versatile in my opinion... listen to some of their 03 tours when they used marshalls. They sound good for morningrise and orchid songs because thats the amp they used, but the tone for songs like godheads lament and deliverance sounds TERRIBLE. BTW, could that be foreshadowing for their next album?? I remember Peter using a mesa boogie for some of the 01 gigs, then they used it for D1&2 maybe they will use marshalls for the next. :confused:

Try out a Tech 21 Trademark 10 before deciding :) They may not look like much, but the sound tells you otherwise! Should cost around 300$ new.. maybe a little more. It's not really for gigs (unless you add a powered speaker.. and that's easy).. but for home use/recording, it's awesome. The distorted tone is yummy and powerful, and the clean tones are just jawdropping!

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that Mikael has updated his profile under Biography. There is a complete list of what he is using at the moment.

//opeth.com

i have the same acoustic guitar mikeal uses and it s fucking amazing!

moosie

Try to play it with his hands... it sounds better :p

Following the thread... it would be great if you (Opeth) tell us about the patches of your Boss GT and Bass Pod...