I almost got struck by lightning tonight, and caught it on film

It is ironic lightning bolts flying up your head, and you shout "gimme some more". You are lucky they didn't listen to you, or you'd really get some more hospitalization by now :)

And lets get to the "did you know" part of this post.

Did you know: People who got struck by lightning tell that it took like a minute or two for the incident, but actually it only takes a few seconds. So we can tell from that, time passes slowly relative to the man who got struck by a lightning. And it is strange.

Anyone looked into positive lightning b4?? Normal lightning is negative, but the positive stuff is ABSOLUTELY lethal. Normal stuff you would die, positive stuff you would discintigrate. There have been cases where it has shot through houses and left huge gaping holes from the roof right down to the ground. If I remember correctly they can get up to like a million amps or something!!! 1 amp is enough to kill u, lol.

I almost got hit once, i was jogging to my friends house (yes i know, not the smartest thing to do in a thunderstorm) And i was about 20 ft away from a tree when it got hit. It knocked me flat on my ass! Then i got back up and ran as faster then i ever had in my entire life and ran into his house without knocking.

That scared the crap outta me...

Eternal Dragon said:
Anyone looked into positive lightning b4?? Normal lightning is negative, but the positive stuff is ABSOLUTELY lethal. Normal stuff you would die, positive stuff you would discintigrate. There have been cases where it has shot through houses and left huge gaping holes from the roof right down to the ground. If I remember correctly they can get up to like a million amps or something!!! 1 amp is enough to kill u, lol.

That's fairly ludicrous.

EDIT: Allow me to clarify what I was saying, it's always a positive return stroke which travels much less distance than the negative. Basically, the negative charge is so strong it manages to pull up positive return stroke. It's not the "positive" aspect that makes it strike with so much amperage.

Has anyone ever seen plasma balls that move real slow? One came down our wire when a lightning rod on the roof of our old farmhouse was hit years ago. My wife was rocking the baby and she saw a hugh fireball slowly move down the wire outside the living room window. Scared the hell out of her.

Glad you weren't hit. Lightning worries me.

RobbM said:
Yeah, I have no idea why I said 1000 yards, I meant to say 1000 feet, but it ended up being more like 100 feet with some streamers hitting even closer. Things look a lot farther away when your looking at a camera when it happens. Another neat thing too is if you view the big bolt frame by frame, its actually going from the ground up.

Yep, "cloud-to-ground lightning" is actually a misnomer; they're usually ground-to-cloud.

Once, when I lived in Alabama, we were driving down the road and saw a transformer on a power line get hit, probably no more than 50 feet away. I was VERY glad to be in the car right then. ;)

You shouldn't have teased the storm. Very dangerous thing to do. You're lucky your apartment didn't burn to the ground! ;)

Thraxz said:
That's fairly ludicrous.

EDIT: Allow me to clarify what I was saying, it's always a positive return stroke which travels much less distance than the negative. Basically, the negative charge is so strong it manages to pull up positive return stroke. It's not the "positive" aspect that makes it strike with so much amperage.

Straight from Wikipedia.....

"Positive lightning makes up less than 5% of all lightning. It occurs when the leader forms at the positively charged cloud tops, with the consequence that a negatively charged streamer issues from the ground. The overall effect is a discharge of positive charges to the ground. Research carried out after the discovery of positive lightning in the 1970s showed that positive lightning bolts are typically six to ten times more powerful than negative bolts, last around ten times longer, and can strike tens of kilometers or miles from the clouds. The voltage difference for positive lightning must be considerably higher, due to the tens of thousands of additional feet the strike must travel. During a positive lightning strike, huge quantities of ELF and VLF radio waves are generated.

As a result of their greater power, positive lightning strikes are considerably more dangerous. At the present time, aircraft are not designed to withstand such strikes, since their existence was unknown at the time standards were set, and the dangers unappreciated until the destruction of a glider in 1999.[3]

Positive lightning is also now believed to have been responsible for the 1963 in-flight explosion and subsequent crash of Pan Am Flight 214, a Boeing 707. Subsequently, aircraft operating in U.S. airspace have been required to have lightning discharge wicks to reduce the chances of a similar occurrence.

Positive lightning has also been shown to trigger the occurrence of upper atmospheric lightning. It tends to occur more frequently in winter storms and at the end of a thunderstorm.

An average bolt of positive lightning carries a current of up to 300 kiloamperes (about ten times as much current as a bolt of negative lightning), transfers a charge of up to 300 coulombs, has a potential difference up to 1 gigavolt (a thousand million volts), lasts for hundreds of milliseconds, and dissipates enough energy to light a 100 watt lightbulb for up to 95 years."