I almost lost my job because of Opeth...

changso

Neverending dreamer...
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Sad but indeed true...Here's what happened.

I've been recently working allot into a storehouse and the folks there use to put some of their music cd during their time working: Vanilla Ice, Offspring, Greenday, Weezer...the big boss seemed to like it.

Beside for musical taste, we use to get along quite well. Couples of days later, they asked me if I like their playing records so I answer the most politely I can that these bands wasn't my cup of tea. Eventually, Opeth's arose from my mouth...being curious about them, they asked me to bring some cd. Predictable thing, they didn't like it very much. However, when Demon of the fall was playing, I saw my angry boss coming in my direction...Being blasphemous, he told me: "Pull off your junkie music and don't ever pull this satanic noise crap back if you want stay here"
:eek:

I was shocked...I was thinking: "he was surely joking" but he was serious has hell
:cry:

Heheheee...man, don't worry...people that are not into metal, I mean, people that really don't know the stuff, always say bullshits like "...this is an evil song, you're calling the demons...". You said that he seemed to like Offspring, Greenday, Weezer...maybe with Opeth he couldn't stand the growls...
Shits happen.

: o )

heheh......I find myself in the same type of situation at the gym quite often......being in public or social situations SUCKS for us metalheads...
But what can we do :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Beth
heheh......I find myself in the same type of situation at the gym quite often......being in public or social situations SUCKS for us metalheads...
But what can we do :rolleyes:

Hahaha... I can play what ever the fuck I want at the gym, because no one else comes there! :D

Originally posted by -=Metalas=-

Hahaha... I can play what ever the fuck I want at the gym, because no one else comes there! :D

:D well, I forgot to mention that most of the time I am either alone or there with just my friends who have learned to tolerate me, or maybe 2 other guys who just have to deal with it.....so it's the same for me most of the time.....guess we're lucky ;)

Yeah when I play my music when I'm working it's loud enough for just me to hear but people will come by to talk or something and they start looking at the CD's and they start freaking out. I just laugh and say it's harmless stuff, it may look evil but it's just an image thing.

Originally posted by changso
Sad but indeed true...Here's what happened.

I've been recently working allot into a storehouse and the folks there use to put some of their music cd during their time working: Vanilla Ice, Offspring, Greenday, Weezer...the big boss seemed to like it.

Beside for musical taste, we use to get along quite well. Couples of days later, they asked me if I like their playing records so I answer the most politely I can that these bands wasn't my cup of tea. Eventually, Opeth's arose from my mouth...being curious about them, they asked me to bring some cd. Predictable thing, they didn't like it very much. However, when Demon of the fall was playing, I saw my angry boss coming in my direction...Being blasphemous, he told me: "Pull off your junkie music and don't ever pull this satanic noise crap back if you want stay here"
:eek:

I was shocked...I was thinking: "he was surely joking" but he was serious has hell
:cry:

Put it again and again and again until he fires you, then sue him for discrimination and walk out rich.

If i were you i would have borught still life. I mean, yeah if he heard the beginning really heavy part of Demon of the Fall he'd probably think it's Satan music or something. with Still Life he'd probably be yelling at you then it would turn to a really soft part or something. Actually, I wouldnt even bring any metal I'd just bring good stuff that your co workers havent heard like Anathema and Anglagard and stuff. I wouldnt really hate him for it, thats how all people that arent into metal at all react... it's only natural.

If i were you i would have borught still life. I mean, yeah if he heard the beginning really heavy part of Demon of the Fall he'd probably think it's Satan music or something. with Still Life he'd probably be yelling at you then it would turn to a really soft part or something. Actually, I wouldnt even bring any metal I'd just bring good stuff that your co workers havent heard like Anathema and Anglagard and stuff. I wouldnt really hate him for it, thats how all people that arent into metal at all react... it's only natural.

Good Idea, if it fails, I'll consider Misanthrope plan :lol:

What a fucked up boss! Does he still let the other people listen to their music?

Of course, he actually likes it...

:rolleyes:

hehe, me and 2 of my co-workers blast good music all the time..

ok, people usually have a strange look on their faces when they walk by, but that's not our problem :)

You should have seen the look on our boss's face when we for some reason started to loudly translate the Six Feet Under song "Torture Killer" !! :lol:

I work for a very large finance company and I bring an Opeth cd almost every day along with alot of other extreme metal bands and no one has ever had that kind of reaction to it! Alot of times they are interested in it and want to look at the cd cases but they never make any rude comments! I make sure I'm not blasting it too loud so I don't bother people around me but I would do that with any music. I have to admit when I listen to music that has extreme vocals I do tend to turn it down more than if I was listening to say, Dio or something, but that is because people that don't listen to death metal DO NOT AND WILL NOT understand how or why we listen to it! That's why it will always stay underground because this type of music does not appeal to the masses which is just fine with me!

I have to admit when I listen to music that has extreme vocals I do tend to turn it down more than if I was listening to say, Dio or something, but that is because people that don't listen to death metal DO NOT AND WILL NOT understand how or why we listen to it! That's why it will always stay underground because this type of music does not appeal to the masses which is just fine with me!

Agree!

dude- fuck your boss!!!! what an asshole!
I work for a VERY busy convenience store who before I got hired, wasnt allowed to deviate from fucking "oldies or easy listening".. Well, I changed that shit FAST!! Now I play Opeth at least twice during my shift (8hrs) and other shit like Arcturus, Black Sabbath, etc... The only problem I ever had with a customer was when I put Slipknot's first cd on and all the cussing came on! LOL That was hilarious... I was biting my lip trying not to laugh.... The customer (who was there with his 8 year old daughter) got right up close to me and said "Your music is very inappropriate".. I just smiled and pushed the rim of my glasses up with my middle finger! HAHA I guess he didn't get it! Anyway- it figures I would get complaints while listening to fucking Slipknot.... never again in there, thats for sure.