My first Opeth show

Stoner Sioux

Death Metal Princess
Mar 20, 2002
In A White Trash Neighborhood
Visit site
So I finally got to see Opeth for the first time last nite on 5/22 at Pop's nite club (Which really isn't that big) in Sauget IL/St. Louis, MO anyways.....I was blown away. I decided not to go up front because it was so crowded I wouldn't have been able to see because I am short. So we sat down at a small table right by the stage. We had a clear shot of the band from there. After the second song Mikael starts talking and looks over our way and says "why are those people sitting down?" I looked away and kind of giggled, and he seemed to point at my direction and said "I see you!" as I shot him the horns. Then as the next song started I looked behind me to see if anyone was sitting behind us and no one was. I was flattered. As the show went on he asked if everyone was having fun, he asked if the people sitting down were having fun too. Ha! He talked about Johnny Rod from King Cobra and WASP being from St. Louis, then teased the audience that they were going to do a King Cobra cover song. Then before the encore "Demon Of The Fall" he looked my way again as I raised my hands in the horns and he pointed and said "I see you!" I couldn't believe it. At the end I ran up to the front because he came down and was shaking people's hands and was lucky enough to shake the man's hand.

During their set I was glued to Peter and Mikael watching every note they played. Amazing guitarists they are. I liked the expressions on Mikael's face as he went from the growl to the clean vocals. That's one of the best show's I've seen in a long time. Anyone else at that show?

chaveta said:
you should both kill yourselves.

chaveta=Opeth deprived.
Come on, even illbeleavinnow=Opeth inprived (is that a word?)

It's cool that he talked to you. :) My first Opeth concert, I was sitting way, way in the back of the theater (it was at the Palladium) and I was hoping the whole time he'd say something like "Hey, look at that kid in the back!" for no reason whatsoever. :) It would've been snappy though. It would've been so cool though.

I cant wait to see them again in NYC for damnation tour, mikael told me 2 dates in the city, i hope so, ill drive each day jsut to hear "to bid u farewell" again.

Hey, Stoner, I was at the show at Pop's. It was my first Opeth show as well, hopefully not my last. I was up front for nearly all three sets. I thought Beyond the Embrace was great and Lacuna Coil was totally impressive. Opeth's set was flawless, they are amazing. I got really pissed about 3/4's of the way through their set at the nit wits that accompanied me to the show that started crowd surfing, one of them landed on my head, I was so fucking pissed, if looks could kill the three of them would have perished on the spot. So I went and got a drink and kind of hung back for the last couple songs. I talked to a couple of guys that were sitting at a table close to the bar, maybe it was you? Afterwards, I went around to the back of the building and talked to Mikael. I nearly knocked Martin Lopez over, I went to hug him and I stumbled and fell right in his arms, I felt like such a dork. Anyways, I asked Mikael if they were coming back to Missouri for the Damnation tour and he said he hoped they would but it all depends on how well the club did for the show that night. I hope they do, that would be excellent! It was super cool meeting them. The dudes from Beyond the Embrace are really cool, too. Great experience.

No, I didn't talk to anyone at the show. I was more at a table that was close to the stage, It was like the second table. I unfortunantly missed Beyond the Embrace and arrived for the last 3 Lacuna Coil songs. I thought the club woulda been more packed, I was suprised that it wasn't.

i was also at that show...great show, My first opeth show, i drove from Little Rock earlier that day to see em, I was standing in the front for Opeths set only...I was wearing an Extol shirt, i stayed around afterwards and got some pics with the guys. It was one of the greatest moments of my life.

ho-knee-uhh said:
i was also at that show...great show, My first opeth show, i drove from Little Rock earlier that day to see em, I was standing in the front for Opeths set only...I was wearing an Extol shirt, i stayed around afterwards and got some pics with the guys. It was one of the greatest moments of my life.

i got to see opeth at ziggys in north carolina. it was an awesome show! and it was especially special because i took my friend paul, and it was his first show ever in his life other than a zz top show he went to when he was a kid...heh......anyways, he is now quite the opeth fan
sgrin.gif

i hope that wasnt too random, i was just so happy that this dudes first real metal show got to be such a badass one.