I am obsessed with "My Arms, Your Hearse"

The originator of this post summed it up rather well and all the positive comments were "dead on."

This is one of my favorite cds of all-time and most certainly my favorite Opeth cd.

And yes, I was hooked on this cd for quite some time...I just let it loop over and over and over...it stayed in my car cd player for months...

Beside all the reasons mentioned, I think another reason why this cd is perfect is that it has so many, what I call, "hooks." A hook, meaning a piece or pieces of music within a song that really "hooks" you. For example - the very beginning of Karma, the headbanging intro riff goes right into the vocals of "Ahhhh, ahhhh...I have gone away..." ~ HOOK! Big time.

It seems that this cd over all of Opeth's others, has, to me, many more hooks or moments as I described in Karma, than all other Opeth cds.

i made the album (yes i downloaded it :( ) but when i put it in my stereo, Credense was all crap, all i could hear was the low bass drum and it sounded all odd and crakely. it really pissed me off, i gotta find another version of the song and re-make it :mad:

Originally posted by Hexxan
i made the album (yes i downloaded it :( ) but when i put it in my stereo, Credense was all crap, all i could hear was the low bass drum and it sounded all odd and crakely. it really pissed me off, i gotta find another version of the song and re-make it :mad:

That's what you get for downloading it. Go out and buy it - it's worth every penny. :lol:

Originally posted by frayededges
I agree with what Cutter said about the production - if it were as crisp as Deliverance, oh wow... can you imagine?

Actually, I sometimes wish Deliverance had the production of MAYH. It's good, but it's thin and doesn't carry me as well as that wall of sound does.

Originally posted by JesusChristPose

Beside all the reasons mentioned, I think another reason why this cd is perfect is that it has so many, what I call, "hooks." A hook, meaning a piece or pieces of music within a song that really "hooks" you. For example - the very beginning of Karma, the headbanging intro riff goes right into the vocals of "Ahhhh, ahhhh...I have gone away..." ~ HOOK! Big time.

Yes. But the hooks are buried in there and you have to listen closely to find them. For instance, the subtle variation in chord structure like the opening riff to Demon or the chords strewn throught 'When'. All they use is a little subtle variation to make each chord sound slightly different...to the observant listener.

Magic stuff!

I'm not a guitarist, so don't flame me if I'm way off.

My Arms, Your Hearse was my first Opeth experience. A few seconds of each song in the shop before purchase, and then the fateful FIRST LISTEN..

Hearing April Ethereal still rivets me every time. Hearing the acoustic layered behind the electric, the passion behind every element.

Mentioned above, the fact that I now understand the concept behind the album helps me enjoy it more each time. It's more visual than ever, and the descriptiveness and depth really rise to the surface.

It's a beautiful piece of work, though some not so acquainted with the genre might disagree.

Maybe the reason it still grips me is that I know it so well. MAYH got several months of constant spinning before I found Morningrise. It holds a personal meaning for me (as all Opeth albums do, and I'm sure they do for everyone else here as well), and came to me at a time in my life when I needed something as complex and thought-provoking as Opeth. (apologies for grammar errors)

MAYH takes you on a journey.. You follow the story and see the locations and destinations. You share the despair, agony, pain and finally relief. Your body trembles and reacts with the music. By the time it's over, you just want more.

I suppose that's where Still Life comes in..

Apologies for the ramble, too much IMming while posting. Not nearly enough time spent entirely devoted to Opeth.

Originally posted by Duvall
My Arms...

I agree with much of what you said. Though it took me a few listens to really get my head around it, now, MAYH holds a special place in my CD player. I practically listen to it at least 2 or 3 times a week, and its been that way since the album came out, back in...96 I think?

I hope Opeth play When during their aussie tour.

Yeah, in my opinion also. It is the greatets Opeth album,and one of the greatest metal albums period. But, idiots that never heard of Opeth would say "No, Metallica/Ozzy/Slayer" is the best. Because they have not heard such brilliance such as an Opeth album. I think that the growling turns some people off from it,but from what people told me when I reccommended songs to them. They love the melodicness of Akerfeldts voice. To be able to switch from a death growl,to one of the best melodic voices just shows his talent,and diversity. People who say "Opeth suck" obviously haven't heard much of their music,and are ignorant to their greatness. I think I rambled enough....

Originally posted by Cutter
Yes. But the hooks are buried in there and you have to listen closely to find them. For instance, the subtle variation in chord structure like the opening riff to Demon or the chords strewn throught 'When'. All they use is a little subtle variation to make each chord sound slightly different...to the observant listener.

~ I agree. It took me quite a few spins of this cd to finally "get it." I tried the same with Still Life, but to no avail...where are the hooks on that cd, besides The Moor and Godshead Lament, not too many others.

Originally posted by JesusChristPose
~ I agree. It took me quite a few spins of this cd to finally "get it." I tried the same with Still Life, but to no avail...where are the hooks on that cd, besides The Moor and Godshead Lament, not too many others.

Yeah Still Life was a very difficult CD for me to get into. The only song that I actually enjoyed on the entire record was "The Moor" everthing else I did not really care for what so ever; and this is how it went for like two years.

Finally after those two years I started to get really into Moonlapse vertigo I was just like "damn this song is actually really good!" and gradually I started to like the others but it was little by little not all at once until finally I was really enjoying the whole cd!

Now I love the album and its been like this since late 2001. Its just one of those CD's where you just have to give it time and if you do and your patient it should come to you eventially. Good luck! :)

Originally posted by Cutter

Magic stuff!

I'm not a guitarist, so don't flame me if I'm way off.

The acoustic sections and choruses on Demon, along with the finale of When and the Clean section on Karma, could qualify as hooks, although seasoned listeners will undoubtedly be more enthralled by the less accessible sections...

Originally posted by Duvall
That's intentional.. they write so you discover more each time. It's how they keep you addicted.

Agreed. I think their the kinds of artists I like. Those with the ability, and the will for that matter, to create something in which the viewer or listener has to delve deeply to find its meaning. I'm bored of moronically catchy music, with no depth other than the ability to hook you with an obvious, simple beat or with shock methods. I'm sure that Mikael sold his soul to Satan to get the inspiration to write this album.

MAYH is a well-dressed hobbit in a land of giants. hehe, I make the dumbest analogies ever.

It's kind of tame. Sure it's muscular for its height and all and it's got good "leverage" but it doesn't compare to Opeth's first album which is so much more grander in its intelligence and ambition - so much more of an "engineering" feat than mayh will ever be. For those who appreciate it, Orchid is so much more rewarding and enduring. It's not for simpletons.

Originally posted by Xtokalon
MAYH is a well-dressed hobbit in a land of giants. hehe, I make the dumbest analogies ever.

It's kind of tame. Sure it's muscular for its height and all and it's got good "leverage" but it doesn't compare to Opeth's first album which is so much more grander in its intelligence and ambition - so much more of an "engineering" feat than mayh will ever be. For those who appreciate it, Orchid is so much more rewarding and enduring. It's not for simpletons.

Yes, but is Orchid really as grand MAYH? I mean, its a great album, but its really just twin guitar lead sections pieced together. MAYH flows better for mine, and seems more layered. I feel it also progresses better as you get through the album, as if its almost driving towards a point. In fact, I believe this was the first album in which they did away with the twin guitar leads. Having said that though, Orchid and Morningrise are still great albums, but I think MAYH was definately more of a progression from the older style.