My Arms, Your Hearse lovers

Originally posted by MadTinus
I don't agree, I think it's Opeth's weakest and most un-inspired album. I think it's boring... But that just my opinion (and everybody already knows that).

I think it's the most dynamic and refined material Opeth have ever produced. I think Orchid is just raw talent at work, Morningrise is a classic in long-form, and then they got it just about right with My Arms Your Hearse. Song writing is superb and it has some of the most inspirational moments i have heard from any band.....ever! Everything since (IMHO), great as it may be, has been over produced and constructed. Perhaps they were making far too concious an effort to meet expectations and exceed the magic of Morningrise and MAYH.

Like you said, everyone has their own opinions. It'd be boring if we didn't.

I was going to write something in the vein of what redreflection said, but he/she pretty much summed up what I though. Right on! There is just a raw depressing atmosphere to the album that they haven't reproduced since then. In my opinion the writing is rather flawless. I do think, however, that Deliverance is their best effort at trying to raise the bar over MAYH.

My Arms, Your Hearse is one of the greatest albums in the metal canon. I'm torn between it and "Still Life," though. Nah, MAYH is better in most respects.

The bottom line is that all of their albums are great. Few bands have been able to match Opeth's majesty. Emperor and Anathema are only two that I can name. Maybe even Arcturus.

For the longest time i didnt like the sound of MAYH compared to their other releases. But over the years of listening to it i think it is one of my favorite. It has a brutality to it that their others dont quite match. When i want to hear something fucking heavy i throw on MAYH and crank Demon of the Fall, one of my favorite Opeth tunes ever i think.

This is my favourite album of all time, it has the best individual Opeth songs with Credence the only song that isn't 10/10. It's also the album that got me into Opeth so it gets bonus marks for that too.

if only everything that opeth have done is as good as my arms.., MAYH is so much above anything that opeth have done before and (i'll conferm this comment when i hear the new album) after. It seems like this album is way above anything opeth have ever done, it total class, something to rank up there with the new arcturus ans the old ulver records as some of the best metal, or just best music ever, Opeths other albums are still very much respectable and better than 99% of the music out there but MAYH is just something spppppecial to me. its like omnio beign the best in the woods... album or bergtatt beign the best ulver album, all there albums are good but there is one that stands out from the rest

MAYH is the second Opeth album I heard, and loved it straight away (it's now my third fav. behind BWP and Deliverance). It doesn't quite hold my interest as well as the other two. Some of Opeth's best songs on this, though: April Ethereal, When, Demon of the Fall, and Credence are just awesome.