I broke down & picked up...

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I broke down & had my buddy order me Vanden Plas' The God Thing disc.
It's still sealed & haven't heard a lick off of it. I figured since old Bryant "raves" so much about the band I would check 'em out. Being that I have never heard the band, I went by the old technique that I used to do back in the day. Pick the one with the cover that stood out. So I did!
I also picked up Primal Fear's Devil's Ground, choice disc!
I know Jonny D has said some great stuff about this record.
I'll crack open the Vanden Plas disc on the way to work & check it out.

I've really only heard one song by them and it was "Days of Thunder" from their acoustic album and I loved it. I lost it a long time ago when my comp crashed so if anyone is in the mood to host it here, I would greatly appreciate it!

sixxswine said:

you heard any of thier other stuff sixx?we're supporting them in september and i want to pick up one of thier albums just so i know a few of thier songs,but i dont know which is best.same with children of bodum-anyone know?

sixxswine said:
I broke down & had my buddy order me Vanden Plas' The God Thing disc.
It's still sealed & haven't heard a lick off of it. I figured since old Bryant "raves" so much about the band I would check 'em out. Being that I have never heard the band, I went by the old technique that I used to do back in the day. Pick the one with the cover that stood out. So I did!
I know Jonny D has said some great stuff about this record.
I'll crack open the Vanden Plas disc on the way to work & check it out.
I think you will enjoy the Vanden Plas. They are a quality melodic metal band with some prog tendencies. Great vocals (lead vocalist and harmony vox,) great musicians and great songwriting. Nice guys as well. If you like it, you can go over to their American website and talk to them on the forums, usually Stephan Lilll (guitarist) goes online three or four times a week and answers questions for fans.

Bryant

baldyboy said:
you heard any of thier other stuff sixx?we're supporting them in september and i want to pick up one of thier albums just so i know a few of thier songs,but i dont know which is best.same with children of bodum-anyone know?
I think Hatebreeder and Follow The Reaper are their best with the advantage towards Hatebreeder.

baldyboy said:

Get Devils Ground! :D its the only one I have but its Fucking Great!

Devil's Ground is a "good" disc, I have listened to it a few times since last night.
The drumming is excellent, I didn't think the drummer was all that when he played with Annihilator, must have been the band huh? Sinner is a great bassist, the guitar playing is fantastic, the songs are a little generic at times & if you like singers Halford style this is a band for you!
Vanden Plas, however, sank the ship called Primal Fear. Unbelieveible band, very melodic, well crafted songs, as mentioned by Bryant there's Prog thrown in for good measure. Some great shifts during tracks, powerful vocals & still packs enough punch....

sixxswine said:
Vanden Plas, however, sank the ship called Primal Fear. Unbelieveible band, very melodic, well crafted songs, as mentioned by Bryant there's Prog thrown in for good measure. Some great shifts during tracks, powerful vocals & still packs enough punch....
Hmmm.... I'm glad you like it Sixx. I didn't know if you would get into them or not. I have introduced them to several people and normally get a pretty good response from about 2/3 of the people. To me they are a very high quality band. The two following releases, "Far off Grace" and "Beyond Daylight" are equally as good.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Hmmm.... I'm glad you like it Sixx. I didn't know if you would get into them or not. I have introduced them to several people and normally get a pretty good response from about 2/3 of the people. To me they are a very high quality band. The two following releases, "Far off Grace" and "Beyond Daylight" are equally as good.

Bryant
Beyond is the new one right?
Did you get that as an import?
I checked with my friend & his distributor doesn't list it?!

sixxswine said:
Beyond is the new one right?
Did you get that as an import?
I checked with my friend & his distributor doesn't list it?!

Yes the newest release is "Beyond Daylight." Actualy, they remastered "Far Off Grace" and "The God Thing" and that's their "latest" but the newest studio release is BD. The cheapest place I know to get it is: www.theendrecords.com It is $13 and free shipping.

Bryant

Colour Temple has some great songs too ("Father", "Soul Survives"), that's maybe my favorite Vanden Plas release, even if I don't now that much their latest stuff.

Fangface said:
Colour Temple has some great songs too ("Father", "Soul Survives"), that's maybe my favorite Vanden Plas release, even if I don't now that much their latest stuff.
Well Flo I don't know exactly what you have heard by Vanden Plas, but though I do like Colour Temple, it is really the least representable of how they sound now. One of the few complaints I do hear about VP is that they sound "too polished" and CT does not really sound that way. I think each release gets progressively better and better. That is one of the big reasons I consider them my favorite band.
"The God Thing" was my first by them (I paid a small fortune for it as it was only available as an import back then) and when "Far Off Grace" came out, I said to myself, there is no way in hell this band can put out a release that compares to TGT, and FOG blew me away. The same thing happened with "Beyond Daylight." I just figured it was time for their creative well to run a little dry, but it didn't. I can't say how long VP will be able to keep the oncredible consistancy of great music up, but Andy (the vocalist) is 41 yo and he actually sounds better than he did back on FOG and TGT. When I saw them live last year, he actuall topped his studio performance on the older material and the harmony vocals were absolutely perfect. I have never heard ANY band perform their material live better (just as well in Symphony X's case) as far as making it sound like it does in the studio. That band is a fucking machine. I am not being biased here as I actually had set myself up to be a little disappointed in their live performance asI was expected them to be good, but they surpassed my wildest expectations.
Flo, they have many French fans and often play in France. In fact, they wrote a song in French "Combriene De Larmes" just for their French fans. I would highly recommend you get their material and see them live. If you want to hear some clips of their newer stuff there are free clips at www.faroffgrace.com I also recommend checking out the song "Nightwalker" from "Beyond Daylight." To me it is their masterpiece.

Bryant @ PPIV watching VP :OMG:

Bryant said:
Flo, they have many French fans and often play in France. In fact, they wrote a song in French "Combriene De Larmes" just for their French fans. I would highly recommend you get their material and see them live.
Yeah I saw them opening for Dream Theater 5 or 6 years ago, but I wasn't very impressed to be honest with you. Maybe they're a better live act now.
Still I like my Colour Temple and God Thing cds, without being a fan like you, but there are some memorable songs on these releases.