I don't get it...

red_tear6

Blinded by stupidity
Feb 13, 2004
Within your mind
I think Katatonia are the best.
I think Anathema are great too.
But....Opeth? Nah.
I see people always ranting and raving about 'Opeth this' and 'Opeth that', but I just don't see what's so good about them. I've heard a several of their songs a few times over, and they all seem very dull and boring (including some strange ones that sounded slightly satanic).
So could someone please tell me whats so good about them? And maybe suggest some of their best songs for me to listen to?
Thanks...

haha... slightly satanic... but hey, did you ever hear some old anathema & katatonia stuff?

well... it's a matter of taste... you don't like opeth? who matters... you like them? welcome to the opeth community ;P

if youre not big on growling you probably wont give it enough of a chance to grow on you,practically all of their releases would fall under required listening, give bleak and credence a listen,those usually whip in katatonia fans :Smug:

If your main obstacle in appreciating Opeth is that you find them to be dull and boring, I'd suggest listenings to songs like April Ethereal, The Moor, The Drapery Falls, Serenity Painted Death, etc...all are quite lengthy but capture the listener's attention throughout and pass by quicker than expected...

True dat, Mehdi was the one who opened my eyes to the wonder that is Tatu. I managed to dislike Opeth all on me own though.

I REALLY THINK I feel this way.

Try their softer songs like To Bid You Farewell, Face Of Melinda and Benighted if you don't like the growling vocals...which shouldn't be an obstacle if you like older Katatonia though...and if you think they're dull and boring, then you've heard the wrong band or just don't like them.

I wonder why you're even posting in this thread Allan? All you're trying to do is stirring up some shit and doing absolutely nothing to help the thread starter get his questions answered.
Maybe it's just an Anathema board side-effect...coming to other boards to ruin threads.

Just haviing a cheap laugh with you Opeth fanatics, I did do my part helping the thread starter though, by airing the possibility that he just might not like Opeth at all.

True, but I think you could've brought that up in a better way...and I do consider myself an Opeth fanatic, but at least I have the sense to realize that not everyone can like the band. So don't use the "you Opeth fanatics" term like it's a bad thing. Might suit some idiots on the Opeth board, but not for most Opeth fans.