Hmm...

you're not really missing anything: opeth is pretty poor, especially nowadays

try morningrise though, that one is worth listening to!

Though Opeth's new album Ghost Reveries isn't as good as some of their previous albums, I still call myself a fan of them. Are they overrated? I don't know. Are they good? Hell yeah.

I must confess that I wouldn't recognize a brilliant song structure unless it bit me in the ass. So when some people talk about good structures in songs, I usually don't understand what they mean. To me the atmosphere and the general feeling of the music is important, and that's why I love almost all Opeth albums.

Many people who listen to Opeth, for example Cerulean, think that Morningrise is their best album, after which comes Orchid. I agree that these are good albums, but somehow I've never really got into them. I guess I'm just too dumb to understand the brilliance of these albums :rolleyes:

In my opinion the best Opeth albums (in chronological order) are Still Life, Blackwater Park and Deliverance. I can't say which one is my favourite since it changes every now and then. After these comes My Arms Your Hearse, behind which come the rest of their heavy albums (Orchid, Morningrise, Ghost Reveries). Damnation is too different to be compared with their heavy albums, so I'll leave that one out of this comparison, even though it is a wonderful album.

Oh boy... I've just said that GR is equally good/bad as the first two albums... hopefully I won't be crucified for that opinion... :p

Cerulean said:
I'll probably be slaughtered for my opinions
No, you're not... ;)

IMO it's true Opeth are a tiny little bit overrated... as songwriters. They (especially Martin Lopez) have such great technical skills on their instruments and they have amazing ideas... But here and there the ideas are put together kind of boring... of course, there are killer breaks and stuff. But that's not all! A perfect band (IMO) must have outstanding musical and lyrical ideas, a down-to-earth image, a creepy and dark aura and cool, credible musicians... Among these bands are Katatonia, Anathema, Cathedral and even The Cure, but not Opeth...

Opeth deserve the praise they are getting, all their albums bring something a little different to the table

I would agree that Blackwater Park is the album to start off with even though Still Life is probably my favorite. You can really hear the Steven Wilson influence on BWP it I think.

Tone-Deaf said:
For example porcupine tree has written some songs that are over 12 minutes, but somehow steven's voice is so mesmerizing and the most times in long pt songs while everything is calm and cool the silence breaks and the song goes heavy. How I enjoy that when it happens :D :D.
I know what you mean:)
I love the song "the start of something beautiful" where the solo starts acoustic and then it all goes heavy, hmmm:oops:
they are so good

Tone-Deaf said:
I've never really got into Opeth. I have heard hope leaves, harvest - probably very mellow songs comparing to the most of their songs, and the grand gonjuration from ghost reveries. Well, after hearing theese songs, ok, it's a good band I said to myself. But nothing really amazed me, I was never hooked up with Opeth, and by reading all theese reviews and comments, it seemed to me that they are a bit overrated. I know that most of you must be hardcore fans of Opeth, suggest a few more good songs, and tell a good reason why Opeth is so great as most people think, and I don't doubt it at all,

Listen to WHEN and DEMON OF THE FALL from my arms your hears album
Listen to THE MOOR and GODHEAD'S LAMENT from still life album
Listen to THE LEPER AFFINITY and THE DRAPERY FALLS from BWP album

Overrated though Opeth may well have become, they still are an excellent band. In fact, I think Opeth and Katatonia complement each other in a manner that no other two bands can, so poetic and aesthetically appealing in most respects. The latest Opeth album has so far failed to impress me greatly, though, but Still Life and Blackwater Park will never leave me unrewarded. What better choice than to play 'Face of Melinda' repeatedly to my heart's content, especially on a mild summer evening?

alphacorvus said:
I agree. MAYH is what REALLY got me into Opeth. It has a dark mood that I don't think any other Opeth album has matched.
try MAYH or some songs off it like 'Karma', 'When' or 'April Ethereal'. this is imho their best album by far followed by Orchid and Still Life. Morningrise is good too but after Still Life they got a bit boring though...
i suggest you d'load thes songs to get a better impression:

from Orchid: 'In Mist She Was Standing' and 'The Twilight Is My Robe'
from Morningrise: 'Advent' and 'To Bid You Farewell'
from My Arms Your Hearse: 'When' and 'Karma'
from Still Life: 'Godhead's Lament' and 'Moonlapse Vertigo'
from Blackwater Park: 'Dirge For November' and 'Blackwater Park'
from Deliverance: 'A Fair Judgment' and 'Masters Apprentices'
from Damnation: 'Windowpane' and 'To Rid The Disease'
from Ghost Reveries: 'Ghost Of Perdition' and 'The Baying Of The Hounds'

hope i could help a bit.

Vincent J. said:
Is it 12 minutes?!;) :loco:
:) Yes it is, but it's a great song. Somewhere in the song, it goes a bit heavy, the first time I listent to it, it was kinda creepy, it was night and I was feeling sleepy and I was hearing the song, that at first was relaxing with a psychedelic flavour, but then it went more hard and fast, it really surprised me.(Bytheway today I was hooked up with ''Grand Gonjuration'', after 3-4 listens before a few days I really liked it and today I've listent to it again and it's pretty good. Although I still don't really like the growlings in acoustic)

For me, the song that really got me into opeth was "Reverie/Harelequin Forest" off their new album, Ghost Reveries. Prior to that, i really only had listened to Damnation (was kinda turned off to the whole death metal part of the band), but that song just had soooo much amazing melody and the singing and screaming is just so well done, i've actually come to enjoy the opeth screaming. Definitly still my favorite song by them tho.

I think this discussion is simply a matter of when you started listening to Katatonia. If you loved Dance of the December Souls, chances are you love metal. If you started listening to Katatonia when Viva Emptiness came out, and you don't like "screaming", chances are you don't like metal. Same with Opeth, if you don't like them because of the "screaming", than either you don't like metal or it is a new genre for you. You can't simply like Viva Emptiness and expect to like Opeth.

Keltoi said:
I think this discussion is simply a matter of when you started listening to Katatonia. If you loved Dance of the December Souls, chances are you love metal. If you started listening to Katatonia when Viva Emptiness came out, and you don't like "screaming", chances are you don't like metal. Same with Opeth, if you don't like them because of the "screaming", than either you don't like metal or it is a new genre for you. You can't simply like Viva Emptiness and expect to like Opeth.
I don't like screamings by meaning deep growls in acapella. I really like dark tranquillity, especially songs from their latest, character, also arch enemy, nightrage, soilwork, hypocrisy, decapitated. From categories of metal that include screamings I prefer listening to melodic death metal and thrash metal. I don't like black metal or death metal without melody the kind of nile and behemoth do (i think) (+puke) . But in the case of Opeth I think that I can get used to the vocals because it's only in a few parts that there are screamings and I must say that I makes it more dark. Imo it would be better If there were some instruments during the screamings or when there are, it would be good to be a bit louder to cover it. But then it wouldn't be Opeth. right?

Listen to Morningrise. And after that, listen to My Arms, Your Hearse. Most people typically recommend Still Life, but I think these two albums are quite a bit better.