i don't thing my aunt meant this comment to be quite so dirty

I'm not sure I could eat a whole jar in one sitting but I do take spoon fulls when I'm using it for something else. I love mayo. I also eat butter in disgustingly large amounts. Once my friend dared me to eat a whole cube and I did. But that was my freshman year.

Kitty Star said:
Mayo is my favorite condiment, it is wonderful. When I used to make tunafish my stepdad would always ask me if I wanted some tuna with my mayo.
Dear english speakers, has a Tuna ever been anything else but a fish? Please explain.

mindspell: "tuna fish" refers to canned tuna. as you know, it's EXCEEDINGLY different from lovely red tuna steaks/tekka and therefore i support its usage.

kitty star: you are dead to me.

I understand that it is very different but comes from the same source. Tuna steaks are fish steaks that happen to come from tuna no?

Tuna fish seems a bit repetitive to me

"fish" is a "winnowing" term in the language. it means that the basic root "tuna" does not necessarily signify the canned tuna, but the red, delicious fish flesh. ie, if i say to my roommate "let's have tuna for dinner", she thinks i mean the actual fish, not that gross canned stuff.

which i think is great, actually, and i would normally expect less from the American palate/psyche.

The only problem I have with that rationale is that Tuna has not been readily available for Americans (us too) except for the very rich and the fishing area people (that actually fish Tuna) in any other form than the canned stuff until recently.