I fail to hear the "BAD" production in Morning rise.....!!!!

Moonlapse said:
Semantics, guys. Point is that I can take a shit in a can whilst pointing a computer mic at it and it would appease a black metaller's craving for 'trueness'. The need for a record to sound as bad as possible is ridiculous to me. Why don't we take it a notch further and just play a distorting square wave at 3.5khz just so we can jack off at the thought that we're creating the loudest, most obnoxious sound a human ear can perceive.

Hi Moonlapse,

Nice reply, I look at square wave's... :wave:

Would you like to see some ?

hehe.

As a former audio engineer, I DO care what an album sounds like. While good music shines through poor engineering and production, great engineering and production can elevate the material to a higher plane. And of course, crap music always sounds like crap, no matter what. When you have the ability to make something sound good (and, by this, I don't necessarily mean, like, pretty...), then why not? The whole "we sound like ass, and that makes us serious/important/cool/whatever" is a lame cop out, imo. But, I was a soundguy, so I'm biased I guess. In my experience with working with bands, the least talented ones concerned themselves least with sound quality and the most talented were obsessed with it.

That being said, the only really off-putting thing about the production on Morningrise is the "underwater" quality of the cymbals, which sounds like digital artifacts to me. This is most evident at the beginning of "Nectar". Once the band kicks in, there's frequency masking and the warbiliness is less audible. But by itself, it's rough. It also may be the reverb that the cymbals were sent to. Or a shitty set of cymbals. Maybe a combination of all these things. Other than that, Morningrise is not too bad. Certainly not the best, but definitely very listenable.

Moonlapse said:
Semantics, guys. Point is that I can take a shit in a can whilst pointing a computer mic at it and it would appease a black metaller's craving for 'trueness'. The need for a record to sound as bad as possible is ridiculous to me. Why don't we take it a notch further and just play a distorting square wave at 3.5khz just so we can jack off at the thought that we're creating the loudest, most obnoxious sound a human ear can perceive.
:lol:

The only thing about Morningrise's production that bothers me is the electric guitar tones. But as has been said, tones of BWP's or Deliverance's quality wouldn't fit on that album at all.

soundave said:
As a former audio engineer, I DO care what an album sounds like. While good music shines through poor engineering and production, great engineering and production can elevate the material to a higher plane. And of course, crap music always sounds like crap, no matter what. When you have the ability to make something sound good (and, by this, I don't necessarily mean, like, pretty...), then why not? The whole "we sound like ass, and that makes us serious/important/cool/whatever" is a lame cop out, imo. But, I was a soundguy, so I'm biased I guess. In my experience with working with bands, the least talented ones concerned themselves least with sound quality and the most talented were obsessed with it.

That being said, the only really off-putting thing about the production on Morningrise is the "underwater" quality of the cymbals, which sounds like digital artifacts to me. This is most evident at the beginning of "Nectar". Once the band kicks in, there's frequency masking and the warbiliness is less audible. But by itself, it's rough. It also may be the reverb that the cymbals were sent to. Or a shitty set of cymbals. Maybe a combination of all these things. Other than that, Morningrise is not too bad. Certainly not the best, but definitely very listenable.

Hi Soundave,

Are we talking about Morningrise on Vinyl or CD here ?

Also, what speakers are you listening with ?

I presume transistor amps being used ?

I agree mostly with what you say. :)

Mic construction plays a vital role in live or recorded sound as you know, C451's for the splash ect. hehe.

Anyway nice to meet you here, arn't Opeth wonderful and Morningrise in spite of critisism's of sound quality is awesome. IMHO

dcat said:
Hi Soundave,

Are we talking about Morningrise on Vinyl or CD here ?

Also, what speakers are you listening with ?

I presume transistor amps being used ?

I agree mostly with what you say. :)

Mic construction plays a vital role in live or recorded sound as you know, C451's for the splash ect. hehe.

Anyway nice to meet you here, arn't Opeth wonderful and Morningrise in spite of critisism's of sound quality is awesome. IMHO

God, vinyl? I wish. Former audio guy (mostly sound for film, but experience in tracking bands as well) but not quite audiophile. Yet. It's all about the bucks.

So, yeah, CD, transistors, your basic setup of a guy who likes to listen to his music and movies but can't shell out the big bucks. Former HS teacher and now stay-at-home dad, so you get the picture.

Yeah, mic's are HUGE. They're the gateway, really. Not only is manufacture important, but proper placement. Eddie Kramer did a demo that I went to, and he went through his whole drum mic setup. It's pretty easy to get a really terrible drum sound if you don't know what you're doing, as there are so many opportunities for phase problems that don't come up when tracking virtually any other instrument when you're recording your basic band.

Wish I could have stuck with audio engineering, but the lifestyle din't really suit family life. Oh well.

And, yeah...Morningrise still kicks ass, regardless of any "flaws".