I got censored for playing Especially Likely Sloth on the local radio station tonight

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
well, not really censored for the song, but censored for introducing it as: "...and for our last song... the great satanic glory of Especially Likely Sloth! Just remember boys and girls... you better not wake the sleeping bags. Otherwise who knows what might happen to you!"

and then the radio manager came in and told me that I could say that on the air (also explaining that even he has to be careful about choosing his own contemporary christian music for his show, such as P.O.D. and Extol which apparently once offended people.)

It was even more awkward because I wasn't even registered as a DJ, and I was there alone, finishing up a show because (I was technically a guest) my friend who is actually the registered DJ for the show had to leave early on our "special two hour show" (which was not also on the schedule).

Oh, and I was also censored for reading selections of Food Fortunata's book "The Diary Of Utah Calypso" on the air.

God damn I rule.

great work man, thanks!

We really appreciate the help and support, you are one of Audio Savant's best customers.

Thanks man, just for that, you get a free copy of the Formloff CD when it is released.

Thanks
JWW

I really gotta get registered with this radio committee. That was just way too awkward and uncomfortable with that dude coming in, first looking at the schedule before talking to me, and then saying "uhhh... who are you?"

oddly enough, my friends say they'll take any hits for it, because theoretically they were the ones that shouldn't have left me alone there running the show for the evening, although it leaves me with a bit of a guilt complex.

Almost every other show on the local station is some Christian music hour, and every member of the committee a Christian of some sort, so naturally I can see where they'd get offended, but come on... this is a volunteer community radio station. If I have to be subjected to their evangelical trash every day, I think that I can at least make some tongue-in-cheek jokes about Especially Likely Sloth being the new soundtrack of hell (as per the official story on how their music is created). It's not like I'm presenting them as my beliefs and encouraging others to adopt a similar viewpoint, or encouraging them to adopt any hate ideology of any kind.

It's such a Dadaist absurdity that you have to be out of your mind to see it any other way than such.

Oh well, my buddies are laughing it off. Years back when they were doing a punk show on the air they got banned from the station after they did a show on "censorship" :loco:

Anyway, glad you guys found the story funny.

itt moose becomes my hero and i wonder how it's ok for a community radio station to be controlled by evangelicals

its ok, nobody listens to the local station anyway. it's all volunteer when people are on, and when they're not, it's a really lame automated playlist. We can get Yellowknife's corporate radio station and that's just about what everyone listens to.

haha we got one caller. I was practically begging people to call in to confirm that we had listeners, and after an hour and a half of nothing, I put on ten straight minutes of a particularly minimalistic Allerseelen song and finally some DJ who did a "Rock Show" called in (actually, probably one of the only other non-evangelical shows) and said that our show sucks.

Then I put on some Meshuggah, then a track from Scald - Headworm to make up for all the easy listening and then I guess that was a little too hard for our listenership. (The ELS followed that)

MajestikMøøse said:
well, not really censored for the song, but censored for introducing it as: "...and for our last song... the great satanic glory of Especially Likely Sloth! Just remember boys and girls... you better not wake the sleeping bags. Otherwise who knows what might happen to you!"
I will repeat this on my radio show this fall, in memory of you doing on a christian radio show. :headbang:

thats awesome. Radio sounds fun I might try it when I go to university or something. It is also awesome that JWW posted in this thread. Don't wake the sleeping bags:headbang: