I got to meet all of Opeth in Austin!! (Review)

Vertigo

Lost In Everything
Jun 10, 2002
Threshold of Hell
Visit site
I saw Opeth in Austin last night and damn what a show! I thought it was going to be calm, but was I wrong. It was one of my worst crowds from what I heard. I was in the very front in front of Michael and at was cool at first, than the crowd got too stupid.

Devildriver was all right. I couldnt understand a damn thing they were saying and nothing really stood out. The crowd seemed into them though and they had some fans there. The singer kept giving me 5 and singing right over me. Some chick even stole his hanky lol I got the Bass players pick.

Moonspell was pretty good. Ive heard some songs but I didnt hear anything I recognized. Does anyone know the first 2 songs theyve been playing on tour as well as the last song? The drummer was pretty fucking good as well as the bass player. I shook hands with the singer a few times and he threw me a Gatorade.

Finally Opeth was amazing. The sound and vocals were tight and spot on. They gave a great damn show. April Ethrel and In My Time of Need were great to hear. Michael seemed to be having fun and loved the crowds reaction of them.

All in all it was a cool show. I met some great people, had cool people around me front stage, and had fun. Before the concert I got to meet Martin M and Martin L and they were great fucking guys. Real nice and quiet. I talked in Spanish to Martin L and he was saying all the languages he knows and we bullshitted. I talked with Martin M about the show and he said he hates the sound of the Backroom. After the show I met Peter right away and he talked awhile and was REAL damn nice. Totally cool guy. He seemed happy when I said how big of a fan I was. And we bullshitted awhile. Than Michael came out and we called to him but he said he would be right with us he had to get a jacket (Im surprised at how cold it was). He later came out and I talked with him a little since people got there to get autographs. He was real nice and happy at how big of a fan I was. But Peter actually went and got a jacket after we were done with him and came out before Michael and he met with all the fans for a long time. Rreaslly awesome guy. The Martins never came out, which sucked for alot of people, but at least I got to hang with them :D I got all their autographs on my Still Life CD and a bunch of pictures with them (8)

Hell of a show!:headbang: :headbang:

Heya, I was there last night too and yes the crowd got FUCKING stupid. I was at the front of Mikael until the middle/end of The Moor until my kidneys got smushed against my lungs then I had to shove my way out of there. I was leaving when I thought "no...I need to stay and meet the guys" since I never have, so I turned around and came back and hung around after - I'm the chick whose frigging digital camera DIED. You're not the guy who is supposed to be emailing me the pic of me and Mikael are ya? :erk: I don't remember you off the top of my head, but there weren't that many people there...we missed April Ethereal and Windowpane in Dallas, so I'm even happier I drove all the way to Austin by myself. I had to stop myself from driving on to Houston to see them again. Devil Driver was the same as they were in Dallas but the crowd was MUCH more tame, I guess they're good at what they do but I don't like their music at all. I enjoyed Moonspell, it's the 3rd time I've seen them ...what was it Fernando said about being afraid of that pole .."I hit my head and forget everything!" - hahaha. Great night.

Thanks Dem0n0fTheFall4. I hope you get to meet em man! Its a damn great thing to meet em.

Hey Blackwater, I dont think I met you at the show. I met another girl from Houston, than one from another city 6 hours away that escapes me at the moment. Now I was infront of Michael too. I was in the very front, how far back were you? There was this chick next to me through Moonspell and some of Opeth with a short blond haired guy. Was that you? What were you waring, Im sure I may have seen you because I always make sure to scan the scene :lol: I was the guy with long hair wearing the Symphony X shirt (the ONLY person at the show wearing a SX shirt!) but later I bought the Lamentations DVD cover tour shirt and wore that. If you met Michael outside, I was one of the first people to meet him and I was with a girl wearing a Still Life shirt. I was the guy talking to mike than getting a pic and busting the security tape cause it pissed me off. Me and Mike just laughed and he was like "thats ok" but the security guy got pissed. YOu should have replied to my thread asking who was going to Austin, we could have met up.

Yea that crowd was viloent. I had to over power ALOT of damn people. I even got a beer can stuck in my hair. I wish I was doing somehting today but Im still recovering and my ears are ringing like a mother fucker. Next time I gotta take ear plugs.

I was wearing a long bell sleeved shirt with the Opeth logo on the front and "the pest through the air" on the back and grey cargo pants. I was by myself as no one would drive to Austin with me. I was in front of Mikael, the 3rd person back until a guy left second song or so, then I was the 2nd person from the front, to the left of the tall guy with long blonde hair yelling about puff the magic dragon... I have black hair (brown roots haha). I was there when the security tape busted so you musta been next to me, that guy was pissed huh...ass. I kept borrowing a silver pen from someone and took pics for a couple of people, I dunno, were you with the chick who was getting her tit signed? :err: I just got my Still Life cd autographed, too cold to take anything off for me! Have any pics up yet?

@Vertigo - the whole setlist is in the L.A. thread, but I will tell you the first two "real" songs on the setlist were In and Above Men and also Lowering Skies. The last song is Fullmoon Madness. Thanks for the review. :)
I'm not suprised that the crowd was insane there. It was almost intolerable at two of the gigs here.

Hey Squeak, where did you see them? I know Peter was telling us that UK shows are usually tame and just standing there and everyone over here gets all crazy at the shows. What do you mean by "real songs"? I loved their first one because the drumming was the shit!

Holy Crap Blackwater! You were behind me than because that long blonde haired guy was right behind me! He was saying some pretty funny shit. That guy that left during the first song was a guy I became friends with at the show. He was pissed but he had too much to drink and had to take a leak. Damn, I think I remember you than, but I would probably need a better pic because the avatar one isnt ringing a bell. And no I wasnt with the chick that got her tit signed. :lol: I was 3 or 4 people down.

@Vertigo - all the California gigs - San Diego, Hollywood, Anaheim and San Francisco. The gigs here in CA tend to be pretty rough in the front, depending how hyper the crowd is. For some reason, the SF show was actually more tame this time. San Diego was crazy and Anaheim was INSANE. Sometimes more insane for Devil Driver. By real songs I mean that there is an intro song also to their set. :D

Great show. Great setlist. Nice to see a band with true musical talent, and not jumping around like a bunch of apes. I hung around a while after the show, but got cold and left before any of the band came out. I was the guy with the Mortification "Break the Curse" shirt on.

what time did your show start? and what time did it end?

curious to know what to expect...

my show starts at 7:30, but I'm wondering if its Opeth that goes on at 7:30 or devildrive and moonspell that start it off at 7:30.....because it would suck to have to wait until 10:00 to see Opeth!

ah....ok

thanks for the quick reply.

It's only Devildriver and Moonspell
(and even then I'm not even positive if both bands are going to be there?)