I have finally assembled my DIY Reamp box!!

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
The Edcor transformer finally arrived today, so I assembled the kit. I followed the NYDave reamp box instructions to the letter (besides trading the XLR input for a TRS), but when I plugged it in to do test it... Noise!!!!

I was hoping the ground lift switch would kill it, but no. The only thing I have found that eliminates it, is if I unplug the cable going from the reamp box's output to the amp, and actually touch the tip of the cable to the tip contact of the output jack inside the box (essentially bypassing the sleeve connection of the output). Then everything seems to work fine, even if the gain seems a bit low.

So my question is, can I just cut the ground wire from the sleeve contact on the output jack and continue on with my life? Will this have any ill effects on the amp? I'm not sure how the thing works with only the hot going to the amp and no cold, but I know fuck all about electronics. I just don't want to mess up my amp.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's something to do with the box itself I think. I'm gonna have to quadruple check everything.

EDIT: Couldn't find anything wrong, but I bypassed the phase switch. Still noise. Fuck I wish I could afford a redeye or something.

EDIT: The noise comes from the sleeve of the amp cable contacting the metal box. Since the jack is metal, and isn't insulated from the box, I'm assuming this is the problem? Maybe I can just switch the tip and sleeve leads on the output jack? Shit I don't know.

What kind of noise?Hum?HIss?Buzz?Have you tried to isolate input and output connectors from box(if its made of some kind of metal of course)?If noise stops when you bypass the sleeve at amp input it looks like you are dealing with something that is my language called double ground or ground loop in english(at least i think so)This all that i can think off at moment.
I am also considering building myself a reamp box but i have problem with purchasing quality audio transformer in my country.how much did the one that you got cost?

So my question is, can I just cut the ground wire from the sleeve contact on the output jack and continue on with my life?

Yes.

The box should be connected to the ground either at the input or the output, so it shields the circuitry inside, but it doesn't really matter which as long as it's not both.

What kind of noise?Hum?HIss?Buzz?Have you tried to isolate input and output connectors from box(if its made of some kind of metal of course)?If noise stops when you bypass the sleeve at amp input it looks like you are dealing with something that is my language called double ground or ground loop in english(at least i think so)This all that i can think off at moment.
I am also considering building myself a reamp box but i have problem with purchasing quality audio transformer in my country.how much did the one that you got cost?

It's pretty much a "dirty sounding hum" if I were to describe it. I'm pretty sure it's a ground issue. Unfortunately the ground lift switch does nothing to eliminate the noise. I'm thinking I need to somehow isolate at least one of the jacks from the case. Maybe switching out the plastic XLR for a metal TRS is the root of my problem and the reason the ground lift isn't working. Perhaps I should have used a plastic box.

Edit: Oh yea, I used an Edcor Transformer which was about 11 dollars USD. Took a while to get here, but it has a pretty good reputation apparently.

The box should be connected to the ground either at the input or the output, so it shields the circuitry inside, but it doesn't really matter which as long as it's not both.

Yea, that's the problem. The input TRS jack is grounding itself out by contacting the box. I'm an idiot. I Should have figured that out. If I take the jack out of it's mounting hole and plug everything it works just fine, including the ground switch! Who woulda thunk it!? So now I have to figure out a way to isolate the TRS jack itself from the metal box that it's mounted to. Any ideas? Should I just try to get some electrical tape in there somehow and hope it holds up?

I think this would solve my problem.

210_165491.jpg

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=tdfQxhgBXr8%252bLeL3kwf5rw%3d%3d

From other DIY DI/reamp boxes I've seen, if they were in metal cases, the jack needed to be insulated from the case, or you'll get major ground problems.

Well, I just assembled my NYDave reamp box as well. I have thoroughly checked everything. I can't read schematics, but I followed the non-schematic drawing exactly. I'm not getting any signal into the amp :ugh:

Did yours ever wind up working?

Can anyone who has the patience please tell me if this "newb version" matches the schematic? I got these pics from Wolfeman from this very forum. I know what some things in a schematic mean, but i can't really "read" them fully, so I had to follow the walk-through. I followed the walk-through to the letter, so if theres anything in it that deosn't match the schematic, please let me know, since my reamp is not working at all (other than the ground lift)!

Page3.jpg

Page4.jpg

You might want to post of a picture of how you wired things, sometimes it's a simple mistake. Usually a grounding issue will cause a low humming noise or a background "white" noise. The jack being metal shouldn't be a problem if everything is wired properly because a lot of reamp boxes have metal to metal contact with the jack and the case. If the transformer is touching the metal case then try isolating it with a piece of felt or rubber.

I'm pretty sure I figured out the issue. My output jack as 4 lugs on it. I think I wired to the wrong 2, based on a test with my volt meter.

Yep, so now it's working (technically)

1) the ground lift switch eliminates hum, but adds radio frequencies :\
2) the level coming out of the reamp is not nearly hot enough :\

Any ideas?

Heh, such a waste.

Just curious if other people who built this reamp are experiencing very low level, or if I somehow did somethign wrong.

It sounds like my amp is on green crunch instead of red channel with gain on 6.5

After further testing, I have confirmed that the level is about 30dB too low, and lacks bass and treble. It's all mids, and piercing mids too. 250-3k about.

I recorded a DI, then routed that through the reamp, and back into an instrument input. That's how I cans ee the level and frequency difference. Seriously, I must have done something wrong, because if anyone who built this got these results, they never would have suggested anyone build it. It's not usable.

Now, what sort of issue could be causing a huge level loss and loss of lows?

I built this using Edcors and it works great.

I would have to see your wiring. But I typically have the volume maxed on it all the time. Also make sure the signal coming out of your D/A is at unity or pretty loud. No clipping, but as high as you can go. If the DI track is pretty soft, I will make a copy, normalize it and then try sending that at unity.

The INPUT jack should be the only one isolated since the box does need to be grounded to the amp. That should stop the radio frequencies.

Also try to keep you cables short which is true for all the reamp boxes.

Double check your wiring as well. Which Edcor did you get?

Before I got an isolated jack, I used a behringer ground loop eliminator which is basically just a transformer. I would run the signal into that, then into the reamp, then into the amp. That worked really well also. If interference is really bad I would probably keep everything grounded and then use that.

hey could you tell me where i can buy Edcors transformers? I'm from europe so...
I found this in mouser maybe it can work too: http://es.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv0IfuNuy2LUR6b0ulvoWbo6AdEqQJfkgM=

thanks!

You don't want that - it will step the signal level down. You need a 1:1 primary to secondary ratio.

OEP make one which is available from various UK sources. If you get this one, GET THE SCREENING CAN ALSO!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46782

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2106431

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electron...formers/PCB-Mounting-audio-transformers/62120

You don't want that - it will step the signal level down. You need a 1:1 primary to secondary ratio.

OEP make one which is available from various UK sources. If you get this one, GET THE SCREENING CAN ALSO!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46782

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2106431

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electron...formers/PCB-Mounting-audio-transformers/62120

Are you sure that they can be used for Reamping Boxes? They have all differnt specs from Edcors Transformers, at least for the WSM10K/150 which is being used for Reamp boxes... they are not 1:1 Ratio...

well thanks, I'll ask to Edcors what is the price of shipping to spain their trafos, they seems to work well for some people so.. I'll try it!

thanks for answer