I heard from someone that this could be Ozzy's new guitarist.

Poor Gus? He just got the opportunity of a lifetime! Sure Sharon's a ton of baggage, but still. This'll do wonders for his career.

If this were 10 years ago I'd say this would be a cush gig. Now? Not so much... Ozzy is past his prime and Sharon has her hands in everything, she's too close...she's the wife and manager, she's biased and she lost perspective. I'm happy that he'll gain some fans but the music is done, he'll come in and play it note for note as it was written. I'll add that this gig ceratinly didn't do wonders for Joe Holmes and he did a few tours with Ozzy...

Poor Gus? He just got the opportunity of a lifetime! Sure Sharon's a ton of baggage, but still. This'll do wonders for his career.

Well I think Ruben answered for me Brandon (look post above), I may understand your viewpoint but I can't share it.

And yes, I do think Zakk can at very least match what Jake did in the video. I've heard him do it.[/qb]
Post a vid clip... because technically i haven't seen nor heard Zakk do something similar...

[qb]As song writers, of course they were! I've never stated otherwise. I'm well versed in Ozzy's material (seeing as I knew almost all of Randy's licks at one point and a number of Jake songs). You can be a shitty songwriter and a great guitarist.
Actually technicalities does not equal a great guitarist.... it's what you do with those technicalities within a context of a song... Technical players are a dime a dozen... you seen it in the 80's after the Malsteen, Eddie and Randy craze... most if not all were technically brilliant but none were or are remembered as "great guitarists" because they all sounded the same and didn't stand out plus were not good songwriters or didn't play good in other people's songs that made their play memorable.

Jake and Randy were both technically brilliant and also very memorable for their songwriting and/or for what they brought to another person's songs...

When i first heard No Rest for the Wicked... even though i liked the songs but didn't think they were great then previous albums... I asked myself , who the hell did Ozzy pick? Because his playing was a step down compared to RR and JL... go give a listen to No Rest for the Wicked again... I mean really listen to it...

Zakk may have gotten better technically since No Rest.. but he's not technically great imo nor a great songwriter...

Ok, Zakk was a shity guitarist, way worse than Jake in every way and Randy too. He's a second rate Dimebag Darrell.

Gus on the other hand, well, the guy just fucking slays and I can't wait to hear what he does with Ozzy. For one it means Ozzy will have the first good guitar tone he's had in 20 years. If they do a record together, hopefully he gets Nordy to mix it. Black Rain's production was awful.

If this were 10 years ago I'd say this would be a cush gig. Now? Not so much... Ozzy is past his prime and Sharon has her hands in everything, she's too close...she's the wife and manager, she's biased and she lost perspective. I'm happy that he'll gain some fans but the music is done, he'll come in and play it note for note as it was written. I'll add that this gig ceratinly didn't do wonders for Joe Holmes and he did a few tours with Ozzy...

Never heard of Joe Holmes, didn't even know he was in Ozzy's band.

Gus has a decent amount of notoriety.

And yeah, obviously Sharon has baggage and Ozzy's past his prime. The point is to get Gus's name out there, and playing with one of the biggest metal acts on the planet is the way to do it. Ozzy still sounds half decent in the studio - live obviously is another matter.

it sounds like Ozzy handled it poorly

Like if Ozzy handles anything anymore. Sharon pull the strings and the muppet dances and talk :Smug:.

Geezer said it in an interview when talk about why doing Heaven & Hell instead of Black Sabbath: if we were with Ozzy we still be writing the first song...

Never heard of Joe Holmes, didn't even know he was in Ozzy's band.

Gus has a decent amount of notoriety.

Exactly, you don't know about Joe Holmes and he was in the band for years!!!! Gus might have notoriety more so in Europe than in The United States...You can walk into a guitar shop and ask the first ten guys you see and ask them about Gus and you'll be lucky to have one give you a reply acknowledging his existence.

Ok, Zakk was a shity guitarist, way worse than Jake in every way and Randy too. He's a second rate Dimebag Darrell.
Glad you see it my way :lol: jk anyways we are just posting opinions and not scientific fact so no need to get bent out of shape...

Of the 3 major Ozzy guitarists Zakk just happens to be the weakest of the 3...

but anyways I hope Gus slays as you said... :kickass:

I don't "Hope" he slays. He DOES slay. Dream Evil and Firewind are more than proof enough that he has some serious chops. All depends how it plays out in Ozzy.

We'll what i meant is if his style fits to the songs... chops alone won't make you slay unless it fits the songs... Ozzy's music is a different style then what he is used to playing so we shall see imo...

this kid does shred! I saw him w/Lizzy Borden a couple months ago. Sad though that I think Ozzy's band well Sharon's management could ruin such a young and soulfull player. that is of course just my opinion.

I know this won't happen but who ever is the new guitar player I hope will have more of Randy's style, the classical/European overtones. Ozzy's sound to me became to geared towards American radio rock, he lost his darker edge. Of course this brought him lots of fame and money so I don't see him changing but I just really miss the sound of the first 3 Ozzy albums.

I recall reading that Gus G. was likely to get the job (I think Sixx posted the link on Blabbermouth?)

I thought the Gus G was a temp for tour only. In anycase if Gus will not be involved with Shozzy kudos to him.

I picked up the Budokan CD yesterday and have given it 2 listens. I'm in awe of Zakk's mediocrity on this. I've heard the guy play some great shit showing his talent over the years. Spent the last listen-through re-evaluating him as a player.

For example: Bark at the Moon, he half plays the song. He plays the main riff completely wrong, skips half of the notes and in many riffs he plays the first part of a riff and just trills or squeals or whatever. I love squeals, but I love them when they're tasteful. Gets Me Through is like every other goddamn note. It's probably my favorite Ozzy song off his last 2 records and I can hardly make it through.

I dunno what the hell happened. This whole concert is a slop fest. He sounds good on Live and Loud. He's probably crapped out big time as a player in the last 15 years (aside from 'Dragon).