I just got back from the Hospital and...

xenophobe

May 17, 2002
SF Bay Area
... I can't believe the way they treated my mother. :mad: :cry:

Shortly after getting home from work, I had found that my adoptive mother fell down (she's 78). She's got parkinsons, has had multiple surgeries and numerous medical problems and stuff, and it seemed she had injured or broken her hip. :(

Anyways, after a few x-rays, and being mentally broken myself, the staff at the hospital found out she hadn't broken anything.

Realizing that, they got her up rather forcefully, and basically kicked us out as fast as they could (after we had waitied for their slow ass service). She was in a great deal of pain, couldn't even move to get up and go to the bathroom, and they practically picked her up forced her out. She's already handicapped and has trouble walking, but they weren't too concerned with her pains and inability to be mobile. It seems that when they realized that she didn't have a wound worth billing her for, it was out the door.

I'm just really unsettled and am glad she's not seriously hurt, though she is in serious pain and can't get around on her own right now. :erk:

The sad part was watching them take their sweet ass time (over 3 hours before administering any pain killers, which didn't work), then all of a sudden getting into gear cause they wouldn't make a profit.

Oh well, life goes on. The medical industry sucks though. :(

That's seriously fucked up. I'm kind of at a loss for words...

Edit: I've always known the medical industry were... well, assholes, but this goes beyond what I originally thought. That just seems a bit inhumane. I don't know.. there's just something about these type situations that get under my skin. All I can really say is I hope she gets better soon and to hell with that hospital.

Does your mother have HMO or PPO?

:(

Same kind of thing has happened to my granny aswell. She's 88 now, and last summer she caught high fever several times. It would only have been one time but they always "kicked her out" of the hospital when she was feeling a bit better. Now she has a nurse visiting her twice a week at home since she lives alone middle of nowhere and it takes almost an hour to get to the hospital.

xenophobe said:
... I can't believe the way they treated my mother. :mad: :cry:

Shortly after getting home from work, I had found that my adoptive mother fell down (she's 78). She's got parkinsons, has had multiple surgeries and numerous medical problems and stuff, and it seemed she had injured or broken her hip. :(

Anyways, after a few x-rays, and being mentally broken myself, the staff at the hospital found out she hadn't broken anything.

Realizing that, they got her up rather forcefully, and basically kicked us out as fast as they could (after we had waitied for their slow ass service). She was in a great deal of pain, couldn't even move to get up and go to the bathroom, and they practically picked her up forced her out. She's already handicapped and has trouble walking, but they weren't too concerned with her pains and inability to be mobile. It seems that when they realized that she didn't have a wound worth billing her for, it was out the door.

I'm just really unsettled and am glad she's not seriously hurt, though she is in serious pain and can't get around on her own right now. :erk:

The sad part was watching them take their sweet ass time (over 3 hours before administering any pain killers, which didn't work), then all of a sudden getting into gear cause they wouldn't make a profit.

Oh well, life goes on. The medical industry sucks though. :(

sorry to hear about that. my mother is 71 and in poor health-but is a fiesty old bitch and doesnt take any shit from anyone. since you live in Ca too, im sure she will know exactly who you need to contact for their b.s.
lemme know if ya want me to, because it will mean writeing and/or talking to people on your part to report them. it will also mean i would have to talk to my mother which is something i try to avoid...

i think the 1st thing you are supposed to do is talk to her social worker at the hospital and even if you dont want the crap of trying to take it farther you should probably talk to the social worker anyway or have some other family member do it, so there is some record of the way they treated her incase something comes up.

falling down is something very serious for someone that age and not finding anything wrong now doesnt mean she didnt get hurt and haveing some asswads manhandle her definately didnt help anything.

4 years ago I went to hospital because my stomach hurt .. It was really a terrible pain .. and what happened? After a week there, the doctors can't find anything that causes the pain .. so they said the pain is just imagination and sent me home ..

It was not very funny .. in another hospital where I was 2 days later they found out that my pain was NO imagination and i got the right medication ..

thats really fucking sick,

what country are you talking about, everyone?

or is like that everywhere..

(hope your mum gets better soon Xeno)

Sorry to hear that...

One thing I always saw was that my dad always got excellent treatment at a Catholic hospital... One thing that Catholics and Christians do right....

Oh man, hon, I'm so sorry to hear that. Where was this?? El Camino? Any one of the not-suitable-for-even-a-pet Kaiser hospitals?

*hugs*

When my brother was about 4 or so, he was terribly sick with something (an intenstinal illness, forget the name), and the pills that he had to take he couldn't keep down. He jsut ket throwing them up. So we take him to the hospital, because he hasn't kept down any food or fluids for almost a day and we're worried about him becoming dehydrated. We get to the hospital, and we're in the waiting room, and we're waiting, and waiting, and...nothing. We finally get into to see somebody, and the idiot doctor takes one look at him and says, "he's fine, come back in a week of the illness persists." Discouraged, we make our way back to the waiting room to try and figure out what we're going to do. It would be obvious to anyone, even a blind man, that this kid was sick with something. Before we could get anywhere, my brother fell to his knees and vomitted all over the floor. Well, that got the hospital's attention, and in the end, he was admitted into intensive care for 4 days, and he was administered medication and water via two IV's.

Granted, the waiting wasn't so bad, there were several people in front of us, and the ER was shortstaffed anyway, as the code was called in the cardiac wing three times in five minutes. But that doctor, what an idiot. He did the basic routine, open your mouth, say Ahh, took his temperature (which was 103 degrees), etc. Nothing more.

Xeno, I hope the two of you recover without any problems.

Thanks everyone. I'm not really in a mood to respond to everyone right now, but I appreciate the kind words. :(

I'm pretty depressed about all this. She's been in bed for most of the time she's been back, the medicine is keeping her from holding down any food, and she's in great pain visibly, and I know she's got a really HIGH threshhold for pain, so it kills me to see her like this. She's had major surgery several times, I think she spent over 9 months in the hospital, several months in traction from when she got hit by a car, but I was pretty young. To see her suffering really sucks and is really hard to bear. :cry:

I-F 2.0 (Cause Its Cool To Do) said:
Yeah, sounds about right, thats the "Health Care" you have the "right" to...which is bullshit isn't it? /forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

Health Care isn't a right.
How about you NOT turn this thread into a political one?