i need directions

inferenzum

Illuminatus Minor
Nov 13, 2002
www.devils-tale.tk
i was examining my cd collection the other day and i realized that almost all of my cd's are really extreme-metal type angry aggressive blah blah blah... which is cool, but I want something totally different. so this post is more for the progressive fans around here - what would you suggest in the way of calm (not like "give me CPR now" calm) music... something melodic, sort of along the lines of Opeth's acoustic sequences?

Hehe, I'm a big PT fan, but there are some others worth looking at. Although it's not really progressive per say, I really like the acoustic e.p. out from Antimatter with Danny Cavanaugh singing. It's great. Check it out: http://antimatter.free.fr/uk/Site Files/HomeFrameset.htm
It's a free download. Other than that, I suggest Winds or Agalloch (both have samples at The End). Winds is amazing and not at all angry or depressing. You can find plenty of praise for Agalloch here on the boards and it's well deserved. I'm not a The End junkie, I swear, I can order music other places any time I want . . .

Hi !!!!!!

You need Directions !!
Well I can try to help you

I'M the biggest Opeth Fan in the World, I have all their CDs

-If you like the Heavy Stuff, "My Arms your Hearse" is the one you need!!!!!!!

-BlackWater Park on an other Hand, is I think the most variated AND most "accesible". Got to get the "Deluxe Edition" with 2 SLOW songs but VERY VERY Good ones!! "Still day Beneath the Sun" and "Patterns in the Ivy II"

-Still Life is MY favorite of all Opeth's Masterpieces !!!! It's a MUST ! It has 2 slow songs...one entirely accoustical "Benighted" and one with also only clear vocal but heavier electric guitar riffs (at the end), "Face of Melinda"

-Morning Rise is a very Good album including the 20 minute long marvellous song "Black Rose Immortal" and the last song of this record is a slow one with heavier electric guitar riffs too "To Bid your Farewell"

-Orchid, their debut album, is less experimental, more straight in your face with less clear vocal but many slow parts through the songs ........

To tell the story in 2 words.....

If you are a fan of heavy Stuff, "My Arms your hearse" is the one for you ("Karma" is one of the best song I ever heard from Opeth or any other band as a matter of fact!!)

My 2 favorites: Still life & Blackwater Park

Hope it Helped you Buddy
keep on enjoying the music of the very best band recording cds as we speak :O)

um ... somebody didn't quite understand :)

well, mizz chipper, to clarify - i was asking for other music, similar to Opeth's acoustic interludes, because I need some mellow music in my collection. I've already got all the Opeth cd's, and they're awesome, I wanted some pointers on other bands. now that I think of it, I saw some band on PBS a while ago that sounded sort of like opeth's acoustic parts, all acoustic and complex... some barefooted hippies who played their guitars like drums. Anyway.. yeah.

The first 2 releases by 'The 3rd and the mortal', "Sorrow" (ep) and "Tears laid in earth". Very mellow doomy-ish type thing (without being opressive) with female vocals, alot of clean (non-distorted) guitars, as well as the occassional metal twist, a little bit of a progressive flavour as well.

http://mortal.info/
I think they have samples from the early albums

Not like Opeth at all, but check out Savatage. They're progressive in the way that they covered new ground with many albums, IMO. Streets is my favourite album of all time.

Eternity X - The Edge is another excellent prog metal recommendation.

NP: Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding

If you're looking for progressive metal stuff, check out either Dream Theater or Symphony X. Agalloch would be another good choice. They do use the death metal vocals, but most of their music is instrumental and primarily acoustic.

The End Records ( http://www.theendrecords.com/omega/omega.htm ) has the full track "...And the Great Cold Death of the Earth" available for listen. It's on the album "The Mantle"

Originally posted by inferenzum
i was examining my cd collection the other day and i realized that almost all of my cd's are really extreme-metal type angry aggressive blah blah blah... which is cool, but I want something totally different. so this post is more for the progressive fans around here - what would you suggest in the way of calm (not like "give me CPR now" calm) music... something melodic, sort of along the lines of Opeth's acoustic sequences?

It's not like Opeth's acoustic sequences, but it sure is
acoustic, and melodic...and and.... Ghah! I just love it,
and I am sure you will too :eek:)

http://www.empyrium.de/