I need feedback on this cover!

iamDouglasRay

DouglasRay
Feb 24, 2012
Atlanta
www.facebook.com
So I recorded this with Mixcraft 5 (Acoustica).

Drums: Reason 5
(Dublicated Track > Tracks Hard Panned)
[Drums NOT panned]

Guitars: Pod Farm UX2.5
(Guitar Double Tracked [Rythm&Lead] > Hard Panned L/R)
-Noise Gate
-Tube Screamer
-Cali Diamond Plate
-4x12 Threadplate (Condensor w/ 0% Room

Bass: Pod Farm UX2.5
(Single Track > Centered)
-1974 Rock Classic
-American Classic Preamp

Vocals: AT2035 > Pod Farm
(Vocals Double Tracked > Centered)

*NO REAL MIXING OR MASTERING.
I'm looking for some tips on how to make my production quality better and to make everything sit better in the mix, while getting a better demo sound. If anyone has any tips please feel free to share, I will also glady answer any questions anyone may have.

Code:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64285856/ADTR%20Vox.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Problems:

Kick: Doesn't pack enough punch, bit too clicky. not present enough.
Snare: No attack, not loud enough. Maybe add more thump and bring it up.
Guitars: Muddy, Not bright enough.
Bass: Surgical EQ lower frequency to leave breathing for bottom end of the kick
Cymbals: Not loud enough, a little washy.

Lacks glue, and lacks energy

Problems:

Kick: Doesn't pack enough punch, bit too clicky. not present enough.
Snare: No attack, not loud enough. Maybe add more thump and bring it up.
Guitars: Muddy, Not bright enough.
Bass: Surgical EQ lower frequency to leave breathing for bottom end of the kick
Cymbals: Not loud enough, a little washy.

Lacks glue, and lacks energy

Kick: Define punch, some people like a kick driven sound so you can here it like with such bands as Woe, Is Me, but some people like it with more of a low tone to match the bass. In any circumstance the bass should match the kick but im looking for a tighter bass sound
Snare: I Added some attack to it, ill work a little more with the EQ on it.
Guitars: Im looking into buying a DI soon that I'm hoping will clear that up, Ive gotten as clear a sound as I can get with the Pod, Im sure most of it is my playing and my guitar probably needs new strings.
Bass: Im not gonna lie I used a shitty shitty shitty bass for the most part, Im looking for a better one to do future recordings with and to tighten up the sound as well
Cymbals: I boosted them a bit, and took down the reverb (I found that was holding a lot of the power back, and putting them more in the background as if they were in a room)

Thanks man, I really appreciate the input Ill update it and see what I can post after I get everything I need for it. If you have any advice as to how to shapen everything up I would truly appreciate it.

Kick: Define punch, some people like a kick driven sound so you can here it like with such bands as Woe, Is Me, but some people like it with more of a low tone to match the bass. In any circumstance the bass should match the kick but im looking for a tighter bass sound
Snare: I Added some attack to it, ill work a little more with the EQ on it.
Guitars: Im looking into buying a DI soon that I'm hoping will clear that up, Ive gotten as clear a sound as I can get with the Pod, Im sure most of it is my playing and my guitar probably needs new strings.
Bass: Im not gonna lie I used a shitty shitty shitty bass for the most part, Im looking for a better one to do future recordings with and to tighten up the sound as well
Cymbals: I boosted them a bit, and took down the reverb (I found that was holding a lot of the power back, and putting them more in the background as if they were in a room)

Thanks man, I really appreciate the input Ill update it and see what I can post after I get everything I need for it. If you have any advice as to how to shapen everything up I would truly appreciate it.

Well, kick sounds too clicky for sure, sounds very fake, and it almost slides in, instead of smacks in..which is what its supposed to do.
Snare: transient designer!!! add attack, even some sustain in that snare!! bring it up in the mix using your ears for judgement, and clip it.
Buying a new DI most likely wont clear it up...its all in the eq. Something ive learnt from everyone off this forum, is that EQ!!! is almost everything to a guitar tone! youd want more in your treble frequencies for sure, and do some subtraction to your lower mids and some lows which make it muddy as hell.
Bass: a new bass will help, but working a good tone will most likely do more...
cymbals: most likely the best thing in this mix...not good, but better than the rest, improve it by getting tranisents right, and compression and maybe brighten it up on the treble sides. could be a bit louder..

hope it helps. :)

Thanks guys it really means a lot. I put the bass through a preamp and used a schecter bass to do some of the parts really packed more of a punch.

The snare and bass I did some other eqing to it in Reason to give the snare more attention and the bass more punch. I'll have to post another song later to give you the example I got quite bored working on the cover (I might come back around to it later).

Guitars the EQing is still gonna take some time, half of it I'm sure is all in my guitar and stings at the moment seeing as they're real old. And EQing is just a completely new thing to me all together. I truly appreciate all the comments guys. Thank you so much.

What kind of stuff would you say would make the cymbals sit better in the mix? I heard adding reverb does wonders but it also kind of mask them and male them sound really distant.
Any advice on cymbals and Guitar EQ would be wonderful

Cymbals, transient designer to shape the sound, compression to make it fit, reverb (subtle! Don't go making it sound like a room mic! , then limiter to let it sit better in the mix.
These are suggestions not rules!! Guide from this.. Then experiment for yourself to get a way that works for you:)

Regards

Tim

I suggest panning your cymbals harder, and giving then a little more splash (without being "washy") with a little bit of high pass on a Q1 something.

Use a Q10 or even a straight forward channel EQ to find the "pumping" frequency of the sample, to make it come through more.
Lastly find the perfect low pass on your guitars, but be carfull not to kill them, the tones there fo shure :p

Like the song itself!